Left leaderboard
Ted Theodore Logan, III

£895 - Pristine Sandberg California Fretless TT4 Passive Jazz (In Two Parts)
£1045
Devon

Now only £945... p&p available

As new condition!! :o

In order to avoid alienating the “traditionaly sane" members of the Basschat community, I have arranged the following advert to be compiled in two parts. 

Part One will detail; 

· The item for sale
· The asking price 
· The option for delivery/collection 

Part Two will contain; 

· Mostly nonsense
· Incoherent babbling
· The ramblings of a mad man

Both parts will be void of any humour (naturally) 
and absolutely no content contained within Part Two should be taking likely and can not be held against me in my forthcoming sanity plea...

Part One

Item Description

model: Sandberg California TT4 Fretless Bass Guitar

finish: 3 tone Sunburst Matt

electronics: Sandberg AlNiCo Passive Jazz Pickups

controls: Volume, Balance, Tone

hardware: Sandberg Locking Tuners & Sandberg Premium Bridge (matching black)

neck: Unmarked Fretless

fingerboard wood: Rosewood 

scale: 34inch

weight: 4.4kg

case: Sandberg Padded Gig Bag

condition: Mint

price: £1045

Shipping

insured courier: £40 approx (location dependant)

collection: Free

part-meet: Cost of fuel

Those interested in purchasing this instrument should completely and utterly disregard any further text.

Thank you for reading.

Part Two

So basically, back when I was slightly more deluded than I am today, I purchased a number of Fretless Bass Guitars with the notion that I could master a Fretless instrument with little to no actual effort being made on my part. Needless to say, I was wrong...

Whilst it might not be “Racket-Silence" or “Brian Sturgeon-ary" to learn how to play a Fretless Bass Guitar, I will come clean right now and just admit that I am far too lazy to continue with anything that doesn't go my way immediately or pretty soon thereafter... I wouldn't go as far to say that I'm a defeatist but let me put it this way; If I flip the switch on a kettle and it ain't plugged in... the tea ain't getting made! Same goes for if ain't got no water in...

So anyway, I'm now in possession of an all-round awesome German-made Sandberg California Fretless Bass Guitar that just isn't getting played and even when it is actually getting played it's actually not getting played, it's just more or less just being held whilst I slide a finger up the D string and listen to it go “Mwahhh"... and then back down the D string to hear it go “Mwohhh"... I will sometimes repeat this three or four times before returning the gorgeous instrument to its lovely Sandberg padded case...

To be honest I'm a little miffed as the sales person who sold me the instrument told me that “Sandberg's literally play themselves". I think what they meant to have said was “Sandberg's figuratively play themselves" because, believe me, this instrument does NOT play itself. Not that I ever tried connecting it to an amp and leaving it in a stand next to my record player whilst I played it classic funky Motown tracks in the hope that it might play along... Ha, ha!! No, that'd be stoopid!!... Ha!!.. ha, ha... :$  Actually, come to think of it, maybe I just didn't have the volume up loud enough... ... I'll try again tomorrow... 
So I'm not making any promises but this instrument might actually play itself!!...

The Sandberg is a passive bass meaning that it is entirely non-violent and fully compliant. It has AlNiCo Jazz Pickups, possibly something to do with Al Pacino...

The fingerboard is Rosewood or possibly a Pau Ferro which I'm assuming is the creator of the material but it looks like Rosewood but apparently it's actually a Pau Ferro which I have no idea what a Pau Ferro is... But it might be the creator but I'm not sure... But it's actually probably Rosewood... :scratch_one-s_head:Let's go with “Ro Ferro" :i-m_so_happy:

The hardware is black and all of it is, so that looks pretty cool... Err, it's also got a pickguard for those of you with really long scratchy “Nosferatu" nails or terrible “punk-like" strumming technique...

Anyway, the finish is rather interesting. That's “finish" not “Finnish" though I'm sure the Finnish are also rather interesting... but in regards to the Sandberg's body finish, this finish is actually a 3 tone matt sunburst finish which is rather close to the tobacco sunburst finish but somewhere in between that finish and the regular sunburst finish. So altogether a pretty unique looking finish...

Anyway, that's the finish!!

Oh!! If you're actually interested in the Sandberg, visiting times are daily between 08:00 - 10:00 & 16:00 - 19:00 unless specifically requested in advance.

*Edit: Enjoy the less grainy pics... 

IMG_20200216_142134619.jpg

IMG_20200216_142757593.jpg

IMG_20200216_142231174.jpg

IMG_20200216_142819983.jpg

IMG_20200216_142245114.jpg

IMG_20200216_143033221.jpg

IMG_20200216_143038350.jpg

IMG_20200216_143058367.jpg

IMG_20200216_142830384.jpg

IMG_20200216_142831920.jpg

IMG_20200216_141707276.jpg

IMG_20200216_142849582.jpg

IMG_20200216_142405296.jpg

IMG_20200216_142856521.jpg

IMG_20200216_142419069.jpg

“Ooooohhh.... Look at that tasty, toasty finish & yummy, scrummy grain..." :i-m_so_happy:

IMG_20200216_142056375.jpg

IMG_20200216_142908753.jpg

IMG_20200216_142914468.jpg

IMG_20200216_142058902.jpg

IMG_20200216_142929313.jpg

IMG_20200216_142116780.jpg

IMG_20200216_142946132.jpg

Edited by Ted Theodore Logan, III
to include brand new scrumptious photographs for 2020
  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

Love the ad, and love the bass.

Just occasionally I wonder what two basses I'd buy (one fretted, one fretless) though Basschat if I were to sell my Wal (not ever going to happen). Your lovely Sandberg would currently cover the fretless element of that thought experiment.

Very good luck with the sale.

P

• Thanks 1

Lovely!

Sandbergs (to me) have the look of “quiet authority” about them. 
It’s like they know what they can do, and know they can do it well, so have no need to shout about it. And yet at the same time they’re very attractive and know it too. 

They're a standoffish Carol Vorderman.

🤭 

• Like 2

I think the fretboard, which actually isn't one as there are no frets in it (not on it as they would be gone with the wind), or more unprecisely the fingerboard as you can't see any fingers on it, is more made out of brownie wood, like the cookies, but way much harder, unless you can't cook and make brownies as hard as concrete or maybe use concrete instead of flour, that often end up on the floor, that said, hence the close name to be sure you can't get wrong.

So, long story short, it's Pau Ferrosewood in fact.

Please don't forget your donation.

• Haha 2

No good to me if it won't play itself..... Fretboard's the wrong colour too. 

Very nice bass though.

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By moley6knipe
      WITHDRAWN - Mods please close. 
      Ibanez SRF705 Portamento fretless 5 string. £500 (no trades)
      Feb 2014 Portamento 5 string in good condition: one very light scratch on rear and one ding on the top (shown in photos). Fantastic bass: light, lovely to play and a huge range of sounds. The Aerosilk Piezo pickup is brilliant: really 'woody' tones. AFAIK I'm second owner from new: I'm never going to use a fretless with my band because it's 100% wrong for what we play and I've run out of space, hence the sale. https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/srf705_1p_05.html
      Collection preferred, or will drive up to an hour from PE11 postcode to deliver / meet. Happy to discuss sending by courier too at buyer's expense.
      34" scale 7.7lb / 3.7kg Unlined '30 fret' neck (has side lines and dots) 16.5mm string spacing at bridge 45mm nut 305mm neck radius Neck-through Cosmo Black hardware Active 9 volt 2 x Bartolini MK1 pickups, each with own vol Bass/treble boost/cut Piezo bridge pickup with own vol Active tone Trim pots to adjust individual string volume There is some minor tarnishing on the hardware. Pots all function properly with no crackle. Tuners operate as you'd expect. Truss rod turns easily. Very low action: if you dig in, you'll likely want to increase the relief! I guess it's fitted with the D'Addario Chromes that it left the factory with... I've certainly never restrung it.

• By Captain Bassman
      Hi all,
      For sale only (no trades), my beautiful 1966 Fender Precision in fantastic condition, all original (as far as I am aware) with original finish and original Fender hard case (including Fender catalogue).
      This is a player’s bass, not a case queen, but has been extremely well cared for by previous owners as well as by me.
       It has light signs of wear and some dings as you’d expect a 54 year old to have. I’ve gigged the bass extensively in the time I’ve owned it and always kept/transported it in a Hiscox LiteFlite case, not the OHSC.
      Apart from some minor body chips and scratches there are a couple of small dents in the neck behind frets 1-3 but these aren’t noticeable under the hand. There’s also some lovely light checking to the lacquer on the headstock and rear of the body. I’ve tried to capture these as best I can with my phone camera.
      Pups, pots, wiring and solder joints all look all original. The pups are still bonded to the black foam and backing plate. No dating is evident and I didn’t want to risk separating them to try and find out.
      Pots are stamped 6618 which I believe is week 18 of 1966 (kindly correct me if I’m wrong).
      The date stamp on the neck is partially faded and obscured by red ink but this is how it was when I bought it. To my eyes it reads 5 MAY 66 C. The neck is classic P chunky, solid and straight with a fully functioning truss rod and reverse tuners on the headstock.
      Beautiful striping on the rosewood fingerboard and there’s plenty of life left in the slim frets. The bass is currently strung with LaBella flats.
      Comfortably light, on the digital bathroom scales it comes in at 8.6 lbs / 3.9 kg.
      The case has a few dings and a couple of smallish rips but inside is clean and plush and all catches and hinges function (I don’t have the keys though). It came to me with a 1967-68 Fender catalogue inside which is in lovely condition and a really nice piece of history.
      This is a beautiful example of a mid-60’s P bass with a classic full burpy sound that sits so well in the band mix.
      Now... I know there are some real vintage aficionados and experts on the forum so in the spirit of openness and honesty I want to mention 3 things;
      Control knobs. These are more than likely the originals but still look brand new. I have no way of knowing as these were the knobs it came to me with but I am just saying as someone pointed it out to me.
      Ashtrays. Both are in really good clean condition and I believe are the originals. They show light scratching close up which doesn’t come out in the photos. Inside the bridge cover there is no evidence left of any foam mutes but there is some surface roughness in that area.
      E string tuner. Fully operational and stable but a bit stiffer than the other 3. I’ve had it apart and lubricated it, can’t see anything wrong, so it’s a bit better but wanted to point this out to potential buyers. 
      I’m offering this bass for sale only (no trades thank you) at a competitive price based on what I’ve seen similar condition basses advertised by reputable dealers.
      I’m happy to ship within UK/EU at the buyer’s expense or arrange personal socially-distanced collection within a reasonable radius (location KT18).
      (More photos are available if needed).
      Many thanks for any interest!
      David

• By Pinball
      "Tic-tac bass" is a method of playing, in which a muted baritone guitar doubles the part played by the bass guitar or double bass. The method is commonly used in country music"
      Emily Sings is experimental and new for me and I ended up revisiting an old bass technique. I needed to as with sparse playing and no percussion it does the job of the rhythm section well. It's a fretless with a bass Vi picking out the beat.  There is similar treatment in the other tracks. Doing your own thing and being able to experiment is fantastic. I hope that you like it.

• By Pinball
      Emily Sings is the first of several planned singles and videos from the experimental new album “Blue and Hazy”, which is scheduled for release late in 2020. I hope you enjoy it.

Recording took longer than I expected due to a number of errr challenges. There is only vocals, acoustic and bass guitars on this track but without drums the guitar and bass are also the rhythm section and had to be spot on to get the sound I wanted.
      I envisaged using double bass but in practice that didn’t have enough sustain and notes faded out too quickly. Pete suggested trying his Ibanez SRH fretless bass. This sorted the tone and sustain but it lacked high end and bite. Additional bass was added with a Eastwood Sidejack Vi, a 6 string bass that was played over the top in tic-tac style with a pick.
      The guitar signal was split into two and recorded as both an acoustic and effect signal. These were then blended back together for a tighter sound. That also allowed sume subtle fading in and out of the reverb. I used a favourite Taylor (mahogany) guitar, with a Strymon Big Sky reverb pedal. It generates all of the choral, background swells and is also used on the solos.
      Vocals were tweaked by Charlie Lintern in the studio. Some lines were changed later and I found that my voice had changed slightly, as I’d had corona virus. A permanent change I’m told, not that it sounds better or worse, just slightly different.

Recording Credits:
      Eddie Mole: Guitars, vocals and bass
      Peter Brownbridge: fretless bass
      Sound Engineer: Charlie Lintern
      Recorded at 13 sound studios at Weston super Mare
    • By Hellzero
      Due to severe back problems (66% officially disabled because of it) and right shoulder injury (non-operable capsulitis from which, after more than 3 years, I will never fully recover), I'm selling all my basses over 4.5 kilos. I've also considerably lowered the price for a quick sale due the "modification".

LAURUS Quasar SL 190 Grafite 6 Fretless with modified "headstock" thanks to some delicate courier. See below the link with the explanations. Price is set accordingly and even for Pierluigi CAZZOLA (LAURUS owner), it's a nice work that suits the bass.

Straight sale only, no trades at all !

Asking price including shipping fully insured with tracking number to your place in these European countries (ask for other countries) : Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (excluding French overseas departments and territories), Germany, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom : £1150 GBP !!! (new price at the time with the original "headstock" was around £4500 GBP...)

In fully working condition and very good overall condition.

Here are the specifications :
      Body : mahogany body with tonal chambers (the most expensive model)
      Neck : 5 pieces neck through maple and purple heart
      Fingerboard : real graphite (carbon, if you prefer)
      Fretless : 24 positions
      Headstock : headless with massive brass ABM headpiece
      Pickup : Bartolini radiused made to measure for Laurus
      Preamp : Bartolini TCT
      Controls : volume with push-pull for active/passive, bas, mids and treble
      Tuners : at the bridge as it's headless
      Bridge : 2 pieces Laurus
      Strings spacing at bridge : 19 mm
      Nut : brass
      Strings spacing at nut : 9.5 mm
      Knobs : original Laurus
      Scale : 34"
      Hardware colour : black with gold headpiece
      Truss rod : 1 (fully working)
      Finish : transparent gloss
      Land of craftsmanship : Italy
      Serial number : QSL0400516
      Year : 2004
      Weight : 4.6 kilos
      Action : from 1.5 mm under the C string to 2.5 mm under the B string at the octave (can go lower, but was perfect for me)

Will come with the original normally used Laurus gigbag.

Non-smoking environment as usual.

I'm only selling this Laurus SL 190 Grafite 6 fretless because of my health issues, the modified "headstock" having turned it into a perfectly balanced bass. And it sings wonderfully with loads of mwah and that typical Bartolini fretless sound.

The bass has been fully set up professionally by Christophe LEDUC. It has a new battery and is fitted with a (now) used set of Elixir nickel plated Nanoweb coating strings (32 - 45 - 65 - 80 - 100 - 130), which fit the bass to perfection.

Link to the explanations about the modified "headstock" : 

For those interested, it will come with the remains of the headstock without the headpieces, but wit the Laurus logo.

What you see is what you get !

Look at the pictures taken under different angles to see the real very good condition and the usual marks.

Don't hesitate to ask for more.