Why become a member? ×

DPDT on on on switch (not a mini one.....)

honza992

3 minutes ago, Mottlefeeder said:

It's verry tempting to suggest using a piece of wire...

David

PS no joy at Bitsbox, Rapidonline, Switch Electronics or ESR

Using a piece of wire?  Sorry, I'm hopeless with electronics, so not sure what that means!

RS have got these two:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toggle-switches/7346805/

Though for 'switch operation' is says latching, rather than on on on.   I'm not exactly sure what that means.  

And this on:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toggle-switches/0394431/

Which always says 'latching' rather than on on on. 

The only switches it specifies as being 'on on on' are mini ones.  Which are tiny and look ridiculous!

(I'm actually going to use it as a a cap selector.....)

I was joking that a switch that was always on would be equivalent to a piece of wire - moving swiftly on:

Toggle switches can stay where you put them, or spring back when released. The former are 'latching', and the latter are 'momentary' or 'biased', and often shown in brackets, so ON-OFF-(ON) would have a centre 'OFF' position, an 'ON' position one way and a spring loaded 'ON' position the other way.

Have you looked at the guitar spares suppliers - they might have a pickup selector switch that would look the part and make the right connections? Alterntively, could you incorporate a push-pull switch into one of your pots to give you the functions you need? As a last resort, if you have a scratchplate, do you have room for a rotary switch under it?

David

22 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

I was joking that a switch that was always on would be equivalent to a piece of wire - moving swiftly on:

Toggle switches can stay where you put them, or spring back when released. The former are 'latching', and the latter are 'momentary' or 'biased', and often shown in brackets, so ON-OFF-(ON) would have a centre 'OFF' position, an 'ON' position one way and a spring loaded 'ON' position the other way.

Have you looked at the guitar spares suppliers - they might have a pickup selector switch that would look the part and make the right connections? Alterntively, could you incorporate a push-pull switch into one of your pots to give you the functions you need? As a last resort, if you have a scratchplate, do you have room for a rotary switch under it?

David

Ha ha ha...sorry I was being a bit slow.  Thanks for the info re latching and momentary, that makes sense. 

8 hours ago, KiOgon said:

Why not use a rotary switch? You could simply have 2, 3, 4 , 6 or so options.

I'm building a Les Paul style bass :

I was reading this thread:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/multi-capacitor-tone-control.737912/

And thought it would be cool to have a capacitor selector switch in the normal style of a LP pickup selector.  A rotary switch is the obvious way to go, but aesthetically I'm not sure it would fit in with the rest of the design. I like the idea of have the normal 'rhythym/treble' style selector. So the initial plan was to have an ON ON ON DTDP switch connecting to 3 different caps - 0.047, 0.01 and 0.0047.  The bass is only going to have a single pickup (a P in a cabronita case) so I thought the multiple caps would add in a bit of tonal variation.  

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Sorry didn't see this before my previous post.

Does it really need to be double pole? 

Can you post your circuit diagram? You might be able to get away with a standard PU sector switch.

Here's the diagram posted by the OP in the Talkbass thread I've linked to above.   It's really a great thread, well worth a look if you're into that sort of thing. 

5418051865-625d6ede2d-o.jpg

5 hours ago, BassBunny said:

This one is a DPDT On/On/On but not that much bigger than the normal micro switches. The black Cap is an optional extra.914610984_IMG_20200110_1517255121.thumb.jpg.9c7d8616b91e13aa1356c492fd0cb76d.jpg

BassBunny, that one looks great.  I've got a mini ON ON ON like the one on the left, but it looks ridiculous in the traditional Les Paul position.  The one on the right looks much better.  Any idea where I can get one?  I've only been able to find ON OFF ON in the bigger size, and actually I've ordered a couple.  I think I can use the ON OFF ON by permentantly have the 0.0047 connected, then using the two ON locations to add in either 0.01 or 0.047.  Not quite such a neat solution as the ON ON ON and being able to select each one independently, but I think it would work. 

Thanks everyone!

Edited by honza992