Why become a member? ×

Stingray

tom1946

Not done it but yes should be easy, just disconnect the pickup and rewire it to a 2EQ using the same front plate. Use the output jack on the front plate and leave the side jack disconnected. I've recently acquired an SR 2EQ and love the preamp. To my surprise I have to say as I generally like to have a mid control. The SR 2EQ is very musical and sounds more open and organic than the 3EQ to my ears.

Edited by ikay

23 hours ago, tom1946 said:

Thanks guys, appreciate your comments.

I'm looking for a 2eq with a maple board and 4 strings and a sensible weight, really hard to find.

This info now gives me a lot more scope.

Tom.

Very hard to find indeed, I’ve only played a couple of light ones in a huge bunch over the years. 

Personally speaking, the genuine best thing I did in 27 years is invest in a MM Special HH. Since Sept 2018 I haven’t bought a bass (huge for me) and have sold all my other basses, my HH covers everything I need. Though I miss having a P Bass in one way, I don’t miss it when my Ray dials in a tone that covers that territory. Plus I get a kick out of just going to one bass, but that’s personal. 

The Specials are commonly light weight and the tone and amazingly versatile preamp, for me, stops the 2 band v 3 band debate. 

Just sayin’ :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tom1946 said:

Thanks Chilli, I'm finally getting to where you are as I was a usa P bass man but my current stingray as you say does it all. It only weighs 8.3 lbs and it's perfect.

I'll check the special out.

Cheers. Tom.

I’m getting that way with the Stingray you sold me, Tom, I feel like a traitor as I’ve been a Fender Precision man for years but the ‘Ray is just doing it all for me at present.