Why become a member? ×

Nitro Refinish Cost

Stub Mandrel

My mid-70s Maya fretless has a weird problem. I stored it in an unheated garage for many years but instead of 'checking' the nitro finish is flaking off in chunks.

It's OK at the moment, although the 'holes' are a bit hard-edged, but light relic has become a medium, one and if it carries on it could end up in the Rory Gallagher territory. Wouldn't be so bad but under the sunburst it's a 'blockboard' body.

One option is a refin, I love the checked vintage cream/ivory finish on my brother's '62 SG junior, but it was done before he got it (to hide where a Bigsby had been fitted and removed).

Can anyone suggest what this might cost? I realise this isn't a super valuable bass so I'm not worried about recreating the authentic finish.

Are you sure it's Nitro? The symptoms sound very much like a poly finish that is not longer adhering to the underlying wood.

There are plenty of recommendations for refinishing (IMO you can't go wrong with Sims Custom) but they do tend to be pricey. If you want to look at cutting the cost, think about stripping the old finish off yourself (that's the nasty time-consuming bit that more refinishing services charge the earth for) although you will need to be careful if it's a blockboard body. 

57 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Are you sure it's Nitro? The symptoms sound very much like a poly finish that is not longer adhering to the underlying wood.

There are plenty of recommendations for refinishing (IMO you can't go wrong with Sims Custom) but they do tend to be pricey. If you want to look at cutting the cost, think about stripping the old finish off yourself (that's the nasty time-consuming bit that more refinishing services charge the earth for) although you will need to be careful if it's a blockboard body. 

Could be poly, I suppose I could set fire to chip and see if it burns gently or goes whoosh.

Stripping wouldn't be hard, I suspect I could chip most of it off with a scalpel which is what I've done with sticky-up bits because I don't want them getting stuck under a fingernail.

If you want to know if it’s Nitro just dab some acetone on an inconspicuous area. If it dissolves, it’s nitro....no need for any fire 🔥. Poly is impervious to acetone. That does mean that if it is Nitro you can strip in in about 10 minutes with acetone and a rag.

Though I agree it doesn’t sound like Nitro based on what you’re describing. Nitro had also been phased out by the 70s on most mass produced instruments due to the fact it’s more labour intensive and less hard wearing than Poly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Could be poly, I suppose I could set fire to chip and see if it burns gently or goes whoosh.

Stripping wouldn't be hard, I suspect I could chip most of it off with a scalpel which is what I've done with sticky-up bits because I don't want them getting stuck under a fingernail.

There can also be non-nitro products in the base coats and fillers applied before the nitro top coat(s).

11 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

There can also be non-nitro products in the base coats and fillers applied before the nitro top coat(s).

It seem (but I can't be sure) they went straight in with a clear amber lacquer, then a reddy-brown one, then blacc for a standard tobacco sunburst. Where it's flaked it's left the wood clean as a whistle. There are a couple of spots (the first to go) where I glued the chips (big ones) back on, hopefully I just used white PVA.

Happy with it as it is for the moment, but the rate seems to have sped up (the bit by the lower horn only 'burst open' this month) perhaps by me keeping it indoors. Here's a recent pic, but even more unseen chipping around the edges).

An alternative would be to stabilise it (white PVA under where it's lifting?) then sand the edges smooth. That would be more or less reversible.

The going rate for one in good condition is about £300 and TBH I'm more interested in playing it than using it as an investment.

image.thumb.png.0a99358d6bb310a2e2661877beba8127.png