Why become a member? ×

Adjusting to a new bass

Jezyorkshire

I’ve recently bought a Bryant soloist model, I was using a Romanian flatback that is a bit inferior in quality with Spirocore Weichs, I didn’t have any trouble hearing the pitch when playing with a friend but with the same strings on the Bryant I’m finding it much harder to hear the pitch, it sounds great but when in a mix with guitar and vocals I’m struggling to hear the notes, especially on the A string.

The old bass seems more direct and the tone not as complex and was surprised that I was having this problem after buying a much better bass! Has anyone else experienced this?

Has any work/setup been done on this bass? I have a Soloist and had this problem in its early days. Bryant basses were notorious for having their bridges too narrow and the E foot not standing over the bass bar. You could check this out yourself. If you could find a decent luthier up there a new bridge and soundpost adjustment could work wonders.

Laurence Dixon in South London has totally transformed my bass.

33 minutes ago, bassace said:

Has any work/setup been done on this bass? I have a Soloist and had this problem in its early days. Bryant basses were notorious for having their bridges too narrow and the E foot not standing over the bass bar. You could check this out yourself. If you could find a decent luthier up there a new bridge and soundpost adjustment could work wonders.

To my knowledge it’s had a bit of work done and is well set up, but I would say it’s definitely with a leaning for bowing rather than pizz, it had Belcanto strings fitted and sounded great bowed, I don’t bow so fitted my Spiro Weichs for a pizz sound but it’s not what I expected

1 minute ago, Burns-bass said:

I had this issue and it was a poorly shaped and fitted bridge. The legend that is Martin Penning sorted it, and the bass now sings (or rather it would of it wasn’t hidden away in my spare room to stop the kids destroying it).

Is that pizz sound or bowed or both mate?

1 hour ago, bassace said:

Interestingly the bridge on my old bass is wider than the Bryant, maybe it would benefit from a new one? I’m sure the Bryant has the original Bridge from around 2008?

It’s not how wide the bridge is per se. It depends on the bridge width in relation to the dimensions of the bass.  As I said, check whether the foot gets onto the bass bar. You can feel or see the bass bar through the top scroll of the E side f-hole.

• Thanks 1

I also have a Bryant soloist and had the same work done as Bassace - some fingerboard work, shaping of the nut and a totally new, much larger bridge. According to Laurence, this is standard on any new Bryant. It completely brought my bass to life, night and day difference. 

Something to also consider - if your strings are new Spiros, then the first few weeks/months they will sound quite nasal with lots of overtones and a buried fundamental. They gain more fundamental as they become played in. Maybe that is what's throwing you off. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Duckyincarnate said:

I also have a Bryant soloist and had the same work done as Bassace - some fingerboard work, shaping of the nut and a totally new, much larger bridge. According to Laurence, this is standard on any new Bryant. It completely brought my bass to life, night and day difference. 

Something to also consider - if your strings are new Spiros, then the first few weeks/months they will sound quite nasal with lots of overtones and a buried fundamental. They gain more fundamental as they become played in. Maybe that is what's throwing you off. 

Thanks man, I’m going to have a word with a local luthier about the bridge , I’m sure it’s the original, it’s had fingerboard work and improvements by Malcolm Healey

13 hours ago, Duckyincarnate said:

Snap! I had exactly the same work done by Martin Penning. 

Just now, Duckyincarnate said:

Great minds! Saying that, if I won the lottery, I would be on the phone the same day to order one of Martin Penning's basses.... 

No. Save your money and enjoy your Bryant.

BTW, two days ago I agreed that Mrs B could order a new AGA. Same day I noticed an ad for a Bryant soloist and mentioned it to her. Her reply, ‘well, that’s not really expensive, is it?’ I was very tempted to pull the trigger, sort of strike while the iron is hot?

• Like 1

Lovely baß Phil.  Just what I'd like to own .. swell back and everything. I doubt many of us on here would have the ability to do it justice ( not me I'm sure ).

Does Martin make his own extensions ?.. that's much less ugly than the usual ones.

• Thanks 1

Firstly - sorry to Jez if I diverted the thread slightly, I didn't intend to!

@NickA - yes, it is his own extension - I tried to get Martin to fit an extension to my other bass, (which used to be my main bass) but the angle of the neck was insufficient to allow enough material against the scroll and therefore the work could not be carried out. I really wanted an extension, so I decided it was the right time to buy a Penning Bass - I had to wait over 12 months - and I've had it just over 12 months now - the finest possession I own! It plays/sounds as well as it looks. As for doing it justice - yes, I get embarrassed when a top professional asks to play it and realizes how good it is (even compared to their own) and I'm sure they're thinking, what does he need a bass that good for? I am trying to improve, though, and this is helping.

@Jezyorkshire. 8 years ago, when I was looking to upgrade my bass, PB was still making his basses and they were highly sought after and very good value for money. However, every PB bass owner, even from new, (especially from new!) seemed to have work carried out by another [high-end] Luthier to improve the sound and playability.

I agree with the others on this thread - I would take to a top Luthier and spend a few hundred quid getting it sorted. They are reputed to be very good basses and are used in some orchestras as well. You could spend a lot more for a much lesser bass in all aspects.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, philparker said:

I agree with the others on this thread - I would take to a top Luthier and spend a few hundred quid getting it sorted. They are reputed to be very good basses and are used in some orchestras as well. You could spend a lot more for a much lesser bass in all aspects.

I have spoken to a guy I am using for repairs and when he sorted my soundpost after it falling over when changing strings  he mentioned that the bridge looked on the small side, I’m taking it over soon and we are going to look at the bridge and any other areas to bring the best out