Why become a member? ×

Oops! I did it again - NBD

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I now have a third Epiphone Thunderbird Vintage Pro - this was a bit of a bargain when I first noticed it before xmas on the Cash Converters website at just £299 with the matching hardcase included. I managed to stop myself from buying it then and expected someone else to snap it up, but when they knocked off another £50 I really couldn't resist.

IMG_1779.JPG

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 13

I originally wanted a white one when these were first launched, so extremely chuffed to get this one for £249 (plus a tenner p&p!). It was indeed a bargain - especially with the latest version of the epiphone fitted hardcase thrown in.

I absolutely love these basses - the pickups are amazing. The wilkinson tuners work well, but Gotoh GB640 reso-lites are an essential upgrade for me as they complete the vintage look, reduce the weight of the headstock, and unlike similarly vintage styled large plate tuners they turn the right way. I think this bass still has the stock roundwounds which are now totally dead, but I’ll be putting on a set of EB cobalt flats asap.

13 hours ago, 4000 said:

That’s a ridiculous price. And FWIW, I didn’t even know they had a website!

There are some ridiculous bargains on there if you look. There's also some second hand tat priced more than it would have cost new... So its a bit of a jumble sale search but can be worth it. Bought a Fender amp from them for a steal a few years back. 

On 09/01/2020 at 12:10, Paddy515 said:

A nice profit no doubt for CC though - prob only gave £100 for it. They wouldnt sell it for that unless the sale gave them a decent profit.

The bass was listed just as an epiphone thunderbird, not specifically as a vintage pro, so it may have been priced as one of the standard bolt-on models. Even though the case costs around £100 new, they probably didn't factor in more than a few quid for it if anything at all.

Like most things in Cash Converters it was a bit grubby, but it didn't take long to get it cleaned up. There was a shallow dent on the back of the neck and a scrape on the lower back edge of the headstock, both of which I've filled & levelled with white milliput and elbow grease.

The strings were as dead as Bojo the clown's capability for empathy and the setup was terrible with high action and zero relief on the neck. I've set it up to play a lot better with the current strings and will take it apart for a deeper clean/polish and further tweakage once I have some some cobalt flats to put on it.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

My niece's husband used to work in the Stevenage branch - they get their info from the internet - looks like somebody didn't do too much research if they thought this was the basic model.

I once sold an entry model saxophone to them for far more than it was worth - they read the name and thought it was one of the more expensive range. "Take the money and run..."

BTW they don't always update the website so it can still be worth walking into your local branch to see what they have - as somebody said, they often have bargains that they don't know about.

Good buy!!