Why become a member? ×

Another Jazz 5 build!

Chopthebass

• 4 weeks later...

I’m going to try a new preamp. Made by 3-Leaf audio. They do a Red and Blue version that are modern sounding and rock biased respectively. It has a quick release so you can swap the preamp module. Not cheap but hoping it sounds good with the Lollars. I’m going to have to install the headphone amp in the other end of the cavity. 

26E6A4CD-BAAB-4E7D-86D0-A9E47AC6CD6C.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

I’m going to try a new preamp. Made by 3-Leaf audio. They do a Red and Blue version that are modern sounding and rock biased respectively. It has a quick release so you can swap the preamp module. Not cheap but hoping it sounds good with the Lollars. I’m going to have to install the headphone amp in the other end of the cavity. 

26E6A4CD-BAAB-4E7D-86D0-A9E47AC6CD6C.jpeg

The preamp unit itself looks a neat unit.  :)

Looks also like it suffers the strange trend, shared by many top end guitar and bass preamp makers, of positioning the connectors for the looms in the most inconvenient direction and then fitting the looms with massively overspec'd wires that come out vertically.  Schaller do the same on their top end preamp.

Maybe it's some sort of industry private running joke ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished and set up. Wow this 3-Leaf preamp is the best I’ve come across so far. The Lollar pickups are very warm and vintage sounding in passive mode but in active it comes alive and all settings sound good. It’s similar to an OBP3 as it has a mini switch for mid frequencies rather than semi parametric. I couldn’t be happier with the sound and playability 

DDBB6851-D930-4870-B582-EA4AC8C6B9F4.jpeg

24DEA592-6ACD-445D-8446-9A6077F7DD9A.jpeg

32B84F8E-EA71-4619-8A5F-67282BB02C31.jpeg

8F44A362-9A83-41EB-A171-34F7FD068964.jpeg

DCBBA8A5-34A9-43A6-AB9B-637F4D504469.jpeg

454FDE2A-D1BC-40B4-8A9F-1E1AA306F815.jpeg

• Like 4

Holy smoke!

Lovely. Just lovely.

Well done @Chopthebass. That's fine work. How does the headphone amp work - pre or post the pre-amp? I mucked around with trying to do that on a build when at school, but my ambition was way beyond my ability... 🙄 😀

Edited by Simon.

31 minutes ago, Simon. said:

Holy smoke!

Lovely. Just lovely.

Well done @Chopthebass. That's fine work. How does the headphone amp work - pre or post the pre-amp? I mucked around with trying to do that on a build when at school, but my ambition was way beyond my ability... 🙄 😀

Thanks Simon! I didn’t install the headphone amp in the end. I was waiting for a batch of them but thing have been delayed with the apocalypse and I got impatient and completed it without. 
But the headphone amp works with the preamp on the bass so you have full control of eq and volume. It has a custom mini jack that turns both the amp and preamp on once a mini headphone jack is inserted. 
Owen on bass hat bought two from me but not sure if has fitted them yet.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

Owen on bass hat bought two from me but not sure if has fitted them yet.

I did buy two. I then opened one of the intended basses and realised that it would not go in with the East Uni-pre in there already.

3 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Lovely build. Nice design, choice of woods and a quality finish. I'm really liking the fret dots - they work really well and are the icing on the cake. 

Thanks JTG! Not a bad weight either at 8.5 pounds. 

11 hours ago, owen said:

Not to worry, I might get something built one day. 

That answers the question I would have asked then.  Which was:

Is it going begging?

I may have a preamp incoming when the restrictions are eased that I haven't sourced a body or neck for yet and I might be able to make a comfortable new home for it...  If you have ideas already that's cool.  It's not like I'm in need or owt.