Why become a member? ×

Skype Lessons? Are they effective?

FarFromTheTrees

Has anyone here ever taken bass lessons via Skype? How did you find it? Positives and negatives?

I only know of one Bass teacher in my area, and it takes me an hour (or sometimes longer depending on traffic) to get to him, and then obviously another hour or so to drive back. I haven't had any lessons for some months due to some temporary cash flow issues but i'm wondering if there's a better way to go about lessons which saves me some time and money. It's more so about saving time than money however as one bass lesson sometimes ends up taking up to four hours with the travel time included.

Cheers!

I found them really useful (thanks Kevin). I was initially concerned over misunderstandings and not being able to follow properly due to not being in the same room, but it didn't work out like that, things seemed very smooth considering the remote nature. 

• Like 1

I think it depends on the teacher and also building a rapport between the student and the teacher so that it becomes less awkward after a few lessons and the technology doesn't get in the way..

I have regular Skype lessons with Ant Wellington. He is the greatest bass teacher I have ever had, his knowledge and teaching style really works for me and my playing has developed massively in the last year. I don't even consider Skype to be an issue at all. His communication and engaging teaching style really makes the lessons work. 

I believe that he was the first person to ever start teaching via Skype in the early 2000s. You have to be committed tho and serious about learning with Ant, but he is a great teacher and mentor who really cares about his students.  

On 08/01/2020 at 15:41, ambient said:

I’ve taught via Skype. It can be frustrating for me as a teacher, I guess it’s the same for the students. You sometimes get a rather glitchy signal. I’ve recently used FaceTime which works a lot better.

Hey thanks. What would you say the main drawback is?

19 hours ago, Bluewine said:

For some skype might be great. We all learn differently. I have learned a lot from YouTube bass guitar tutorials and some folks find no value in YouTube's offerings.

Blue

Yeah, I learn much better when I can interact and ask questions. Ive learned a fair bit from youtube myself but I feel like I can only go so far with it.

19 hours ago, NickD said:

I found them really useful (thanks Kevin). I was initially concerned over misunderstandings and not being able to follow properly due to not being in the same room, but it didn't work out like that, things seemed very smooth considering the remote nature. 

Good to know. Thanks very much!

18 hours ago, attackbass said:

I think it depends on the teacher and also building a rapport between the student and the teacher so that it becomes less awkward after a few lessons and the technology doesn't get in the way..

I have regular Skype lessons with Ant Wellington. He is the greatest bass teacher I have ever had, his knowledge and teaching style really works for me and my playing has developed massively in the last year. I don't even consider Skype to be an issue at all. His communication and engaging teaching style really makes the lessons work. 

I believe that he was the first person to ever start teaching via Skype in the early 2000s. You have to be committed tho and serious about learning with Ant, but he is a great teacher and mentor who really cares about his students.  

Thats very encouraging. Thanks!

3 hours ago, interpol52 said:

I'm having a Skype lesson with Carol Kaye in a couple of weeks! I'll let you know how it goes, I'm curious as to how it will work.

Oh please do, i'd be very interested to hear how you got on.

Nick Schendzielos is offering skype lessons on his instagram and I think i'd enjoy some lessons from him.

I spoke with Carol and ordered some books last year just as additional learning materials. Would be interested to hear how the lesson went. 

I saw comments on talkbass from disgruntled ex students who Carol refused to keep teaching as they weren't at a standard required for her level of tuition... But that is talkbass where I also read that ant Wellington was a ball buster and gives you a hard time... Nothing could be further from the truth, he just expects students to be serious about thier learning and bass and is an incredibly nice guy!