Why become a member? ×

Peavey AlphaBass All Valve head - *WITHDRAWN*
£350
Bolton

Pow_22

Battered looking but fully functional and recently fully re-valved Peavey Alphbass 3u rackmountable bass head.

6 x 6L6GC (JJ)

3 x 12AX7 (NOS Brimar)

1 x 12AT7 (NOS Brimar Military spec yellow label)

Putting out 160 watts into 4ohm or 2ohm.  All the EQ slider tips are missing but all remain fully functional and present (none sheered off or anything).  Knobs were all replaced with soft rubber replacements previously.  Ive used this with an Ashdown 1510 cab and a flats loaded P bass and it sounds amazing.  The volume goes from quiet, to loud, to wall rumbling, foundation moving levels.  Fans a bit noisy at startup but not remotely noticeable once playing.  Never let me down since ive had it.  Good DI too that ive used to record several times.  Some say these were Peaveys take on the Mesa D-180

I bought this for £250 off Reverb where it was described as ‘’fully working and serviced’’.  When it arrived it was clear the power valves were ancient, 3 were loose on their bases and one had clearly lost its vacuum.  The pre-amp valves were incorrect too as 2 of them were 12AT7’s and there was a 12AX7 in the position that should be 12AT7!!!  I ordered a full matched set of JJ 6L6GC’s from Hotrox for about £120 (if memory serves) and loaded them in along with some NOS pre-amp valves (brimar - another £80) and fired it up.  Worked flawlessly since and recently had our guitarist tech run it through his meter to get it fully biased up.

Why am I selling - well, my band are embarking on a mini tour of rough pubs and clubs, shared backline, with minimal set up time and gear being stored in a van.  Normally id buy a cheap back up ( I have something in the pipeline on here) and keep the Peavey but in all honesty I guess I just want something now that I can throw in the back of a car and not worry too much about valves and the little bit of extra 'molly coddling' that comes with a nice valve amp.  Plus any residual funds left after the sale of this and buying of said cheaper amp can fund my GAS for a bison bass :)

So, in summary  - if you are looking for a pristine factory fresh valve amp, this isn’t for you.  But if a “tour/roadworn” looking but fully functional 160w all valve amp for £350 collected from Bolton (or could deliver within reasonable distance) tickles your pickle then give me a shout.

Few basic pics here and more to follow....

Edited by Pow_22

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 15:39, stewblack said:

Looks a lot better than your description too! Good luck with the sale, I'm tempted and I'm actually selling valve amps at the moment.

Just trying to be honest (under promise, over deliver) and all that.  Particularly after I bought it as 'fully working and serviced' despite 4 of the power valves being useless! :)

40 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Just trying to be honest (under promise, over deliver) and all that.  Particularly after I bought it as 'fully working and serviced' despite 4 of the power valves being useless! :)

Fair comment. 

Going to withdraw this for now. 

Rehearsed last night and used my Ashdown Spyder head for the first set and sounded lovely.  Thought id give the peavey a blast for the second set and just realised that THAT valve sound is for me.  At some point ill look for a decent 4ohm cab (peavey 1x15 or something) and just keep that as my rig

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

Going to withdraw this for now. 

Rehearsed last night and used my Ashdown Spyder head for the first set and sounded lovely.  Thought id give the peavey a blast for the second set and just realised that THAT valve sound is for me.  At some point ill look for a decent 4ohm cab (peavey 1x15 or something) and just keep that as my rig

Don't blame you at all. Once you hear what you love, hang on to it. 

• Like 1

• Rich locked this topic