Why become a member? ×

Yahama TRBX505/605 GAS

mattbass6

I couldn't be happier with my two Vigier Excess 5 basses, they are truly the best basses I have owned/played, and they will always be my "go to" instruments but, I have huge GAS for a Yamaha TRBX505 and/or 605. I've had 5 Yamaha TRB6 basses over the past 15 years (all gone now), and loved them, but the craving for another Yamaha is rather large. Has anyone played/owned/sold one recently? What did you like about them? What didn't you like about them? If you have sold one, why? I love the look, and I like the fact they have a 34" scale length, unlike the TRB1005J basses. Cure me of my GAS, please.......

I had a lovely brown TRBX505 for about a year. I gigged it quite a bit but never really connected with it. I felt it was a bit boring, at least compared to my other basses at the time. I also felt the B string could have been better. It was usable, but lacked punch and clarity compared to the other strings. IMO of course. 

Looks and feel etc were spot on though, and i really do love those matt finishes. 

• Like 1

I've had the 605 for about 18 months now gigging it most weekends. I find it to be an absolute fantastic instrument, plays wonderfully and it's a decent weight. Everyone who has seen it compliments it's appearance. I do plan to upgrade the electronics to nordstrand at some point in the not too distant future as the sound is decent, but could be better. But for less then a grand with bass + upgrades I'd easily put it against much more 'high end' instruments. 

Bottom line; plays great, looks great, will be a fantastic instrument with upgraded electronics. 

image_share1003138660460070.jpg

• Like 1

On 09/01/2020 at 19:59, dave_bass5 said:

I had a lovely brown TRBX505 for about a year. I gigged it quite a bit but never really connected with it. I felt it was a bit boring, at least compared to my other basses at the time. I also felt the B string could have been better. It was usable, but lacked punch and clarity compared to the other strings. IMO of course. 

Looks and feel etc were spot on though, and i really do love those matt finishes. 

Thank you Dave, for the information. They do look the part, and I bet they feel great but the electronics were always my concern at that price point. Interesting about the ‘B’ string as well. I think I need to try one. Appreciate your input

On 09/01/2020 at 21:52, MDWagstaff said:

I've had the 605 for about 18 months now gigging it most weekends. I find it to be an absolute fantastic instrument, plays wonderfully and it's a decent weight. Everyone who has seen it compliments it's appearance. I do plan to upgrade the electronics to nordstrand at some point in the not too distant future as the sound is decent, but could be better. But for less then a grand with bass + upgrades I'd easily put it against much more 'high end' instruments. 

Bottom line; plays great, looks great, will be a fantastic instrument with upgraded electronics. 

image_share1003138660460070.jpg

It looks amazing mate, and I have to be honest, the 605 is the one I’d go for. As you say,  a lot of bass for under a grand. I’d want something I didn’t have to mess about with, as my Vigier’s will always be my goto basses. As I said to Dave, above, I think I need to find one, try one, and see how I feel. Appreciate your help, and so grad you love yours. Let me know how you feel once you have changed the pre-amp

2 hours ago, mattbass6 said:

It looks amazing mate, and I have to be honest, the 605 is the one I’d go for. As you say,  a lot of bass for under a grand. I’d want something I didn’t have to mess about with, as my Vigier’s will always be my goto basses. As I said to Dave, above, I think I need to find one, try one, and see how I feel. Appreciate your help, and so grad you love yours. Let me know how you feel once you have changed the pre-amp

I also have a BB615 which I swapped out the preamp in it for an Aguilar OBP3, complete transformation and was my primary bass for 8 years before getting this one. It's currently still my go to recording bass and has impressed every engineer that I've worked with. Again, the bass was about £300 (end of line as they had just brought out the bb42* series) the build and playability where great but the original preamp is what let it down. 1 upgrade and I'd happily stack it up against higher end instruments. 

• Like 1