Why become a member? ×

Darkglass / NeuralDSP moving into hardware???? UPDATE: The Quad Cortex

fretmeister

Yup, despite the underwhelming first demo vid, it’s gone down VERY well at NAMM, which is promising!  Not seen any bassists talk about it though, so i wonder if It’s just guitar models that are ready at the moment. 

On 11/01/2020 at 13:39, owen said:

Off topic and all that, but if I wanted to get all profile-y can I do it without spending the best part of £1.5K?

On 11/01/2020 at 14:20, fretmeister said:

A used Kemper. Other than that, no.

Actually not quite correct:-  the Mooer GE 300 and it's smaller sibling the GE 250 (£399 announced at NAMM 2020) will get you there:

"Like most of the competition, the GE250 includes editing software for ease of use as a recording interface but where Mooer are offering something over its midrange rivals is the Kemper-esque Tone Capture function. This allows you to sample an amp to create new models on the GE250."

https://www.musicradar.com/news/watch-mooer-announces-affordable-ge250-multi-effects-modelling-unit

Edited by Al Krow

• 2 weeks later...

List of bass amps: 
  1. Bass Super Valve Ampeg® SVT®
  2. California Bass 400 Mesa Boogie® Bass 400+®
  3. Bass Flip-top Ch 64’ Ampeg® B15 – 1964 Channel
  4. Bass Flip-top Ch 66′ Ampeg® B15 – 1966 Channel
  5. Bass Flip-top Patch  Ampeg® B15 – Jumped
  6. G400K Gallien Krueger® 400RB®
  7. British Bass 50 Bright: Marshall® Super Bass® 50 Bright
  8. British Bass 50 Normal: Marshall® Super Bass® 50 Normal
  9. British Bass 50 Patch: Marshall® Super Bass® 50 Jumpered
List of bass cabs:

1. 410 Bass CL = Ampeg® SVT-410HE 4×10 bass cabinet (not sure what speakers they use)
  2. D410C Darkglass® = Darkglass® D410C loaded with custom Eminence® ceramic drivers
Bass overdrives:
  1. Darkglass® Microtubes B3K®
  2. Darkglass® Vintage Microtubes®
  3. BDDI: Tech 21® Bass Driver DI® 
  4. Soviet Fuzz: EHX® Russian Big Muff®
  5. Animate Fuzz: Human Gear®  Animato® 
  6. Brass Matters: Maestro® Brass Master®

Coming later

1. AG Thor’s Hammer 500 Aguilar® Tone Hammer 500® 
  2. AG D750B Aguilar® DB 751® 
  3. Bass 360: Acoustic® 360
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 16/01/2020 at 10:57, Kev said:

Valid stuff, but I am just saying it applies to everything in the same sense.  £100 bass would do that same as a £4000 bass from the perspective of 90% of people in the crowd, yet how many of us on here play what we strictly need, not want?

This for certain. 

Previous rig:  2013 Wal bass (custom 4 string) - Fractal Audio AxeFxII - Behringer FCB1010 MIDI pedal - Crown xti 

Current Low budget rig:  Ibanez Mikro bass (short scale 4 string) -  ZOOM B3 (retired in 2016) or ZOOM B3 (grab-n-go/rehearsal) or ZOOM G5n (most gigs)

My choice of stage speakers hasn't change (won't compromise there) but instead of powering them with a Crown xti4002 power amp, I picked up a GK 1001RBII second-hand on a sweet deal (less than half the cost of the Crown amp new).

When available, I'll just DI into the provided PA system w/stage monitoring sans stage rig. For those gigs, my entire setup fits in a gig duffel bag + 2 basses. The bulkiest bag item is the ZOOM G5n.
[Many of my gigs are with majority full-time pro musicians who don't tolerate anything that makes them look or sound bad, though I hung up my full-time status in favor of a regular day job (w/full benefits package). I've heard not a peep from them about a downgrade of tone or sound. Ditto for audience comments.]

Regarding the Quad Cortex, the combination of size, features, user interface, and price - though not inexpensive - is dead on the money for my needs. That QC is backed by Doug Castro from Darkglass is icing on the cake for bassists. I'm a Fractal Audio fan, but as a bassist, their optional products (FX8/AX8/FM3,pedals) are excellent, but all sort of miss the mark for what I prefer in a footprint, price, and UI workflow.

I'm not going in on the QC at ground floor, though.  As thing progress next year and with positive feedback, I'll be doing a gear sell-off to majority fund a Quad Cortex. Likely I'll keep only the G5n. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

If it will load the plugins too then it’s a no brainier for me.

I have become a big fan of Neural plugins.

from the Quad Cortex website Q * A:

Do Neural DSP plugins come with QC?
Not by default as of now, but we will send a free plugin update in a Cortex compatible format to everyone who owns our plugins so they can be loaded onto the device.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 22/08/2020 at 06:44, bjelkeman said:

A parts shortage due to Corona. Well, I think it will be good when it arrives. 

It is interesting how much complexity is available under a relatively simple UI. 

TBF they've stolen the UI from the Helix.

Not really a surprise, the Helix UI is the easiest of all the next gen modellers.

I didn't pre-order a QC but as eventually it will be able to run the Neural plugins - and I am a HUGE fan of them - I just can't see me not getting one. I use the NTS and the Parallax plugins all the time.

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

I was beginning to think that this was vapour ware given how much social media isn’t talking about it anymore.

Depends where you look I guess, lots of talk in the Neural groups on the gear page.

• Like 1

I guess Neural have literally given people nothing to talk about so far since the initial announcement. Videos are promised in the coming weeks demonstrating the Neural Capture, so I'd expect things to pick up then.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/08/2020 at 19:52, Kev said:

I guess Neural have literally given people nothing to talk about so far since the initial announcement. Videos are promised in the coming weeks demonstrating the Neural Capture, so I'd expect things to pick up then.

Ask and you shall receive. Almost zero bass demoed here but...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...