Why become a member? ×

Darkglass / NeuralDSP moving into hardware???? UPDATE: The Quad Cortex

fretmeister

54 minutes ago, nige1968 said:

Could someone explain to the ignorant dunderheads out here what this actually is in simple terms? Multi FX? Plugin-type-thing? Preamp?

A competitor to Helix / Kemper / Fractal units.

Amp and cab sims, FX, can be used as a posh FX box or as a preamp direct for recording or into a PA or a power amp and traditional speakers. From the limited info so far - the amp and cab sims are likely to be based on NeuralDSP's own plugins but in a stage friendly format.

NeuralDSP is owned by Doug Castro - the man also behind Darkglass so I imagine that bass will be catered for quite a bit - unlike some other modellers who seems to treat it as an afterthought.

It also claims to be a profiler like the Kemper - so you record your real amp into the unit, and then the unit saves that "profile" - effectively creating a new amp sim that you can tweak from there. Hire an unaffordable amp - profile it, and keep the sounds forever.

Can't wait to try one!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This does look incredibly interesting. To the sharper-eyed among us, you may notice a distinct absence of knobs - well apparently the footswitches have rotary encoders built into them! Pretty cool bit of design there, especially if they prove to be durable and reliable enough.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

It also claims to be a profiler like the Kemper - so you record your real amp into the unit, and then the unit saves that "profile" - effectively creating a new amp sim that you can tweak from there. Hire an unaffordable amp - profile it, and keep the sounds forever.

Uh-oh!

Sweet baby Jesus. That does look good. The mobile connectivity side of things has me particularly interested. Easy mobile backup and sharing of presets without having to connect to a PC is a massive boon. They’ve taken a good leaf out of Source Audio’s book in that regard. I suspect one of these may be in my future!

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Davebassics said:

So it's not a helix stomp competitor then :(

Not really. Given the processing power and price differential.

Bit like comparing a Stomp with a Boss MS-60B methinks.

Another recent review, this time by Premier Guitar: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/29838-neural-dsp-introduces-the-quad-cortex