Why become a member? ×

I may be about to regret buying an HX Stomp...

Bigwan

12 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Does this mean that there's an imminant upgrade due for the Helix hardware?

If so, that'll mean that there will be a slew of current versions of Helix flooding onto the second hand market... 😉👍

Nope - it means that NeuralDSP / Darkglass are about to get into the market for modelling.

Line 6 have only recently completely upgraded the core program so I can't see Helix 2 coming yet. But I'm sure we'll find out at NAMM.

44 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Nope - it means that NeuralDSP / Darkglass are about to get into the market for modelling.

Line 6 have only recently completely upgraded the core program so I can't see Helix 2 coming yet. But I'm sure we'll find out at NAMM.

Another competitor in the modelling market might liven things up a bit, especially if they can add something interesting.

I suppose it's a bit early for a hardware upgrade, especially after releasing the HX Stomp last year.

I suppose I better keep on saving up then! :D 

• Like 1

The Neural guitar plugs in are fantastic.

The bass ones are equally good, but so far they have concentrated so much on the metal players that if the new unit is for guitar and bass I hope it's a bit more versatile.

The DG bass distortion sound is in danger of becoming as ubiquitous as the boosted Dual Rectifier was in the late 90s when it was very difficult to tell what band it was anymore.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The Neural guitar plugs in are fantastic.

The bass ones are equally good, but so far they have concentrated so much on the metal players that if the new unit is for guitar and bass I hope it's a bit more versatile.

The DG bass distortion sound is in danger of becoming as ubiquitous as the boosted Dual Rectifier was in the late 90s when it was very difficult to tell what band it was anymore.

Can't disagree with any of that, but I think that's the fault of the users as much as the plugins! I'm no darkglass fanboi (like some I could mention here! Eh @Kev), but Parallax is an outstanding plugin. I wouldn't buy the Darkglass suite as I don't like the hardware versions... except for the v1 900 amp that had the tone control which made a MASSIVE difference for me, but which hasn't been implemented on the DG suite as far as I can tell. 

• Haha 1

I gave the Parallax demo a good run through. I preferred the sound I was getting from my DP-3X, although of course the Parallax can get way nastier. But I also spent a good while creating crossover/compressor/distortion/amp/cab chains in Helix Native and got just as good results out of that!

Looking forward to seeing if this is just a hardware version of their existing plugins, or if they've gone all out to make a full multi-fx!

15 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Can't disagree with any of that, but I think that's the fault of the users as much as the plugins! I'm no darkglass fanboi (like some I could mention here! Eh @Kev)

Hey, I resemble that remark!

• Like 1