Why become a member? ×

Project anybody???

TheGreek

I got this, was searching for 5 string necks, saw it and put in an impulse bid.

I've got a lot of hardware sitting round but not sure it'll be suitable. Kickass bridge, MM pickup, 2 band mm eq or East J retro, elephant ear hipshot ultralites.  Like I said not sure those will really suit.

Not worried about the remaining woodwork involved.  My only worry is getting the finish to a high standard and what finish to use.  I like matt finishes, but oil or lacquer?

Now just got to work out what style to carve the body... and the headstock. It's been marked out for a PRS style carve, but I find that uncomfortable, I tend to like a flat top but with a heavy arm and belly carve.

Also need to sort out what the top wood is to get a matching veneer for the headstock. Otherwise just get something as dark as possible.

Any thoughts are welcome on it!

• Like 1

£71??? Good buy...the body is easily worth that much and some.

With the body already near Jazz shaped I'd look to soften the lines by contouring the edges - concave the front and convex the back. This'll reduce the weight and make it more ergonomic. Personally I'd go 3+2 rather than 4+1.

You have the makings of a nice project there...don't forget to start a thread in the Builds thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, No. 8 Wire said:

Not worried about the remaining woodwork involved.  My only worry is getting the finish to a high standard and what finish to use.  I like matt finishes, but oil or lacquer?

I would recommend using Warwick wax. Once the surface is clean and ready to be finished, it's pretty much idiot proof to apply. Apply a generous amount to a large clean lint free cloth that has been folded several times. Heat the wax and the cloth using a hot plate - I use a George Foreman. Once the wax is melted and the cloth is hot, simply rub it into the body and the neck. Rinse and repeat until you have applied it to the whole of the body and neck and it looks and even colour(the oils in the wax will darken the wood slightly as they are absorbed) make sure to keep the cloth hot as you apply the melted wax - the heat will help the oils penetrate the wood. Leave the bass for a few hrs to allow the oils in the wax to soak in to the wood and then do it all again. 

After 24hrs use another clean lint free cloth to wipe off any excess wax - you can also then polish the finish or not depending on how matt you want it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

I would recommend using Warwick wax. Once the surface is clean and ready to be finished, it's pretty much idiot proof to apply. Apply a generous amount to a large clean lint free cloth that has been folded several times. Heat the wax and the cloth using a hot plate - I use a George Foreman. Once the wax is melted and the cloth is hot, simply rub it into the body and the neck. Rinse and repeat until you have applied it to the whole of the body and neck and it looks and even colour(the oils in the wax will darken the wood slightly as they are absorbed) make sure to keep the cloth hot as you apply the melted wax - the heat will help the oils penetrate the wood. Leave the bass for a few hrs to allow the oils in the wax to soak in to the wood and then do it all again. 

After 24hrs use another clean lint free cloth to wipe off any excess wax - you can also then polish the finish or not depending on how matt you want it.

That sounds pretty good.  How robust is it on a bass body? My go to for necks had always been tru oil and wax, but I doubt it would be tough enough for a body.

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

£71??? Good buy...the body is easily worth that much and some.

With the body already near Jazz shaped I'd look to soften the lines by contouring the edges - concave the front and convex the back. This'll reduce the weight and make it more ergonomic. Personally I'd go 3+2 rather than 4+1.

You have the makings of a nice project there...don't forget to start a thread in the Builds thread.

Yes, I was surprised it went that low, I guess it's the risk of the unknown though isn't it.

I think it will have to be 3 +2 as well.  So It'll cost me some new tuners!  Not sure the kickass bridge will suit either.  I'm not even sure on pickup configuration, maybe just MM or MM + J.

I suspect I'll end up with broadly jazz bass looking contours in the end.  I might even use some rear shaping too to reduce weight.

It'll be a couple of months before this starts, too many non bass projects first, plus it's too cold out in the workshop!

14 hours ago, No. 8 Wire said:

That sounds pretty good.  How robust is it on a bass body? My go to for necks had always been tru oil and wax, but I doubt it would be tough enough for a body.

It's robust enough for Warwick to use. This method is a version of how they finish their "natural oil" basses. 

See here for my results using this method...

And here:

Edited by dyerseve
  • Like 1