Why become a member? ×

4 ohm cab or 2 x 8 ohm stack

Haros

Hello, im an owner of a dingwall ng3 5er paired with a darkglass AOU.

As these were acquired fairly recent i dont want to cheap out on the amp/cab section so
i narrowed it down to get an ampeg pf 800 and ampeg 210HE + 115HE stack(was also considering TCE BH800 and k212+210 cabs)

Seeing the latest cab offerings from darkglass started having doubts, wouldnt it be better to pair the ampeg pf800 with a single 4ohm 2x12 cab (darkglass or other)
or my original choice is better .

So 2 questions : is the amp a good choice to compliment the sound of my instrument (also can the cab combination handle the low B)

: a single 2x12(or 4x10) 4 ohm 1000watt cab or a full stack of 2x10 and 1x15 8ohm cabs

mostly play in small/mid sized venues with FOH and
im after a portable - flexible - value for money - decent tone rig
any feedback is welcomed.

I'd go for a good modern 4ohm 4x10 cab.

It's amazing how close in size the 2x10s are to the modern 4x10s.

I did that with my laney n cabs. Bought a 4x10 and a 2x10 for smaller gigs. Turned out there wasnt much space saving at all. So I sold the 2x10 and just use the 4x10 on everything.

I used plenty of 4x10s and never been short of volume anywhere.

Honestly stop worrying about impedance and speaker sizes, probably to least important things to worry about. Find a speaker you like the sound of first. Sound comes first second and third. If is isn't loud enough then buy a second identical speaker to get more of what you like. If you play small and medium sized venues then you only need to be as loud as the drummer and the PA will do the heavy lifting if you play bigger venues on occasions. Size isn't important :)

If you are starting from scratch then a 2x10 or a 1x15 will be loud enough for most gigs but a good, high efficiency 12 will just about get there too. Anything bigger (4x10, 2x12) will be well capable but you don't want capable you want a good sound that suits your playing, and only you can judge that. So have some fun and start trying stuff, you wouldn't buy a car without a test drive.

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 4

Phil's absolutely right. Try a lot of stuff, find something you like and buy it. You appear to be looking for something to keep longer term, rather than something transitional. So get the thing you like and if you want more power/volume, save up and buy another. Get it right at the start and you won't be one of those serial purchasers, always buying stuff and moving it on/trading it in because you're never really happy with it.

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

stop worrying about impedance ... If is isn't loud enough then buy a second identical speaker to get more of what you like.

But just to clarify: if the strategy involves potentially buying a second identical cab, and given the amp needs at least a 4-ohm load, then the cabs must be 8 ohms each.  So the impedance is important.

3 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

But just to clarify: if the strategy involves potentially buying a second identical cab, and given the amp needs at least a 4-ohm load, then the cabs must be 8 ohms each.  So the impedance is important.

This is true, but if you buy something big end efficient that won't be an issue, you won't want an extra 4x10 and almost certainly not a second 2x12. It probably won't be a problem

It's a lot harder to get the sound you like than match impedances though which is why I'd always say find something you like the sound of first. Only then worry about the impedance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

It's a lot harder to get the sound you like than match impedances though which is why I'd always say find something you like the sound of first. Only then worry about the impedance.

Exactly. If the cab you like is 4 ohms and you can't run another with your head, power amps are cheap and compact these days, now we have class D. Something like a Baby Sumo will cost you around £250 for 600w into 4 ohms and is about the size of a portable radio, so you can get one to power the additional cab.

There’s a ton of info about perceived volume and speaker sensitivity. I just know an 8 ohm cab with sensitivity of 104db is louder than a 4 ohm cab with 97db. 
Bill Fitzmaurice could explain it better. 
Point being it’s not always crucial to worry about impedance as long as you don’t do below the amps minimum. 
I now have one 410 by Bergantino. I can’t ever imagine needing two. 

OK it seems the barefaced fanbois have not arrived yet, so I will dive in...

As per Phil's advice, go try lots of stuff. But don't forget to try barefaced 10s and 12s. You will not be disappointed.

I recall having a similar quandry a few years ago, and took a punt on the new barefaced four10. I wasn't sure it would be enough so I took the 8-ohm version so I could add a second.

In hindsight a two10 would have done the job. This gear is unbelievably loud, weighs very little and is very well constructed. They have a wide range to suit your style too. Go try em.

I’ve found that for my needs a pair of 210s is plenty enough, though my likes/wants are 410 & 210 minimum. The bigger stacks as well as looking great have a sheer physical presence that I’ve never had through a single 112/115/210, but as said this is likes against needs. Most venues I was playing had monitoring anyway (though I dislike bass in monitors).