Why become a member? ×

Orange amp and cab advice

Pinball

OK sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm a tad confused.

I have only ever owned two gigging amps/cab sets, both of which were a well matched cab and head. My current (bought after advice from this forum) is a GB 600w/4ohm Streamliner & NXT 212T 4ohm cab. I have always been happy with it and have looked after it. It has plenty of life left and is in great condition 

I recently obtained another kit. An Orange Terror 500 (can be set to either 4 or 8 ohm) head and ultra compact SP212 and SP210 cabs, both are 600w 8ohm. It sounds lovely has only ever had home use and has ever been pushed. Yesterday tried them both out after rehearsal and wow they were so different but both sounded great so I'm trying to decide which to keep.

Very different beasts. The GB was comparatively clean sounding and transparent, while the Orange stuff was a bristling rock monster. However I could get some sweet middle ground from both, thanks to an effective "clean switch" on the Orange and by upping the gain on the GB.

My question is how to get the best from the Orange with:

1. both cabs and

2. One cab.

Is it just best to keep the Terror running on 8ohms with either 1 or both cabs or is there a place to use 4ohm? 

Any advice would be appreciated as I don't want to do any damage and want to try out all of the options next time.

The manual provides the definitive advice:

Make sure the impedance selector switch is switched to 8 Ohms when using an 8 Ohm bass speaker cabinet

Make sure the impedance selector switch is switched to 4 Ohms when using either one 4 Ohm bass speaker cabinet or two 8 Ohm cabinets.

https://orangeamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Orange-Terror-Bass-500-and-1000-V16.pdf

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 1

If you contact Orange direct through the website I've found them to be really quick to reply and helpful. They can give you the official line on how to use their products. I use Orange all the time now and find them perfect for my needs. I must confess I have a total brain freeze when it comes to science so the first whiff of an ohm and I am lost, so I emailed them too about this - jrikx's link is great. I alternate between one and two Orange cabs when using my Terror head and adjust my ohm setting accordingly.

The link from jrixn1 appears to be the Mark 1 OBT, you appear to have the Mark 11.

Both cabs in use, selector switch to 4 ohms, full 500 watts.

Either cab on it's own selector switch to 8 ohms, 250 watts. Personal preference for either cab on it's own, for me, would be the 212, as it would give more bottom.

2 hours ago, karlfer said:

The link from jrixn1 appears to be the Mark 1 OBT, you appear to have the Mark 11.

Both cabs in use, selector switch to 4 ohms, full 500 watts.

Either cab on it's own selector switch to 8 ohms, 250 watts. Personal preference for either cab on it's own, for me, would be the 212, as it would give more bottom.

Cheers

I really like the outfit so have put both my Orange and GB outfits on Gumtree and will be happy to keep whichever I am left with. If it is the Orange I'll keep both of the cabs