Why become a member? ×

New Darkglass cabs - lighter than Barefaced! (for some of the models)

fretmeister

4x10

DG410C-Angle.jpg

https://www.darkglass.com/dg410n/

2x12

https://www.darkglass.com/dg212n/

Others too - 1x12, 2x10 etc

When the old heavy ones launched I thought it was a massive mistake as the world has moved on from silly weight cabs. Be interesting to hear these now DG have gone back to the drawing board. 

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 1

Surprised they've discontinued the old ones still, even though the new 410 is almost half the weight of the old one - when they released them they were all about the fact that the ceramics sounded better hence why they were used. So they've either compromised on tone, or found a new driver that doesn't have the same drawbacks as whatever was available for them to use a couple of years ago!

What we know so far...

DG 212N

Barefaced ST

Power Handling RMS

1000 Watts

1200W

Impedance

4 Ohm

4 Ohm

Tweeter Action Frequency

2 kHz

N/A

Weight

19.7 kg | 43.4 lb

17 kg | 37 lbs (cloth grill)

Dimensions

29" high x 18.3" wide x 17.1" deep

74cm x 43.5cm x 61cm

29" high x 19" wide x 13.4" deep

74cm x 48cm x 34cm

Price

TBA

£1,099 with cover

Usable frequency range

TBA

37Hz - 4kHz

Max continuous broadband & LF SPL

"This cabinet can produce very loud sounds"

133dB

How good does it sound?

TBA      

A LOT of BC fans!

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Surprised they've discontinued the old ones still, even though the new 410 is almost half the weight of the old one - when they released them they were all about the fact that the ceramics sounded better hence why they were used. So they've either compromised on tone, or found a new driver that doesn't have the same drawbacks as whatever was available for them to use a couple of years ago!

Yep it was all about the ceramic driver tone.......

Are they still being made in the U.K.?

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

Replace the $ sign with a £ for UK pricing then...

Yes, I would think so. Very expensive, however much less expensive than the Mesa equivalent. 

40 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Yep it was all about the ceramic driver tone.......

Are they still being made in the U.K.?

I wonder who was actually making the cabs for Darkglass? Just thinking if it would be possible to get an equivalent cabinet made straight from the source for less...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

I don't think I've met one bass player/spoken to one bass player that bought the heavier versions of these cabs. They might be on a blowout soon.

36 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Or they are all in hospital post spinal surgery

Or the cabs will be distributed/gifted to the legions of YouTube/Social Media Bass Player Influencers who wax lyrical about every Darkglass release.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Or the cabs will be distributed/gifted to the legions of YouTube/Social Media Bass Player Influencers who wax lyrical about every Darkglass release.

So that’s why I didn’t get one, that or it sunk the titanic on its way to me

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

I don't think I've met one bass player/spoken to one bass player that bought the heavier versions of these cabs. They might be on a blowout soon.

Me Neither.

Seen a few on facebook though. I really hope they were effectively built to order otherwise there's several tons of bass cabs out there, weighing about as much as an Ampeg 810, with about as much value these days too.

On 08/01/2020 at 11:55, Musicman20 said:

I had the original 2x10, and it was SO heavy for such a small cabinet. I have to be honest, I wasn’t a huge fan of it. Really, to get any real tone, you need to push the cab but it really couldn’t handle the low B too well. You would really need a 4x10 but the weight of that scared me half to death.

The cab also had to go back due to an issue with the tolex. It came loose, unbeknownst to me, and sounded like a speaker had gone. Darkglass knew what the issue was, and solved it without a problem. A great company but, the cabs didn’t work for me. I sold it to recently. I’m going IEMs. These new cabs look interesting, weight wise. I’ll be interested to see how people get on with them. I also like that they have done a 2x12 version. 

• Like 1