Why become a member? ×

Bluetooth pedal for Mainstage 3

scalpy

My apologies if this is in the wrong place but it’s vaguely pedal related.

After much badgering I’ve finally managed to get our keyboardist to adopt Mainstage. However patch changes are tricky as she doesn’t like doing it by hand. Her keyboard is pretty naff (hence using the app)- I can hook up to it using usb but there’s not an input for the usual Boss unlatching pedal. 

Are there any usb or even better Bluetooth pedals that would be suitable please?

many thanks

Harry

Is Bluetooth fast enough for timing-critical operations like patch changing?

In the days when I used to automate all my band's patch changes with our MIDI sequencer, one of the things that we spend a lot of time on was getting the program change commands in exactly the right place for a glitch free performance. Often we'd be moving things forwards a back by the smallest MIDI timing increments to find to optimal position for each one.

My understanding of Bluetooth is that there is too much latency for timing-critical operations, and that the latency is not consistent depending on what other operations the two Bluetooth devices are also doing at the same time.

I'd get a proper set of MIDI pedals and MIDI interface to connect to the computer to do this. Does the audio interface you are using on the computer not already have MIDI?

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I'd get a proper set of MIDI pedals and MIDI interface to connect to the computer to do this. Does the audio interface you are using on the computer not already have MIDI?

I'm just using usb-b to usb-c cable from the keyboard to the computer, then it's headphone out to the DI box/desk.

4 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Does the keyboard have a MIDI port? Most do, if so it can be used as a MIDI interface which opens you up to using a wider range of devices to solve the problem!

Thank you, we’re rehearsing tonight so I’ll check. This is all very useful help.

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

Bluetooth has latency when it comes to sending encoded audio, but basic control devices are pretty damn quick. I notice no latency with my Buletooth keyboard and mouse for example!

If there is latency in some things but not in others then it would follow that the computer is prioritising some Bluetooth events over others. How far up the list a set of Bluetooth pedals comes then, is anyones guess.

If you're just after a 2 switch controller for up and down switching, have a look at the Disaster Area DMC Micro or Tech 21 MIDI Mouse. Stay well  away from the One Control Gecko as it's a real pain to program.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ratman said:

If you're just after a 2 switch controller for up and down switching, have a look at the Disaster Area DMC Micro or Tech 21 MIDI Mouse. Stay well  away from the One Control Gecko as it's a real pain to program.

Disaster area looks perfect- but I can only find Andertons who stock it, at the end of the month. Tech 21 probably more than we need but will have to be the one. I really appreciate your help, many thanks.

Harry

29 minutes ago, scalpy said:

Disaster area looks perfect- but I can only find Andertons who stock it, at the end of the month. Tech 21 probably more than we need but will have to be the one. I really appreciate your help, many thanks.

Harry

No worries Harry. Of the two, the MIDI Mouse is the simplest to use. You use the L & R switches to scroll to the preset number you want, then you hit the middle switch to engage. So you don’t need your synth patches to be in numerical order. There are some YouTube videos showing the switch in use. 

If the keyboard and MainStage support MIDI program number mapping, then you can assign consecutive MIDI program numbers to the patches you need in set order without needing to actually move any of the patches.

For instance your first three songs might require patches 56, 84, and 2 on the keyboard but MIDI program mapping will allow you to assign MIDI program numbers 1, 2 and 3 to these patches so you can simply use the up selector footswitch to move to the next patch.

It wouldn’t even have to do that really. We’ve got a concert set up in Mainstage, all I need the pedal to do is scroll one setting at a time down the set list. All the patch changes are configured in order already. I presume either pedal is capable of this. 

20 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Does the keyboard have a MIDI port? Most do, if so it can be used as a MIDI interface which opens you up to using a wider range of devices to solve the problem!

What you're assuming here is that the keyboard has a MIDI INPUT, and can then merge the input signal with its own MIDI information and send it all to the computer via USB. It's more likely that if the keyboard has any MIDI ports at all, it will be a single output.

I would suggest 2 simple solutions:

1. Get a MIDI Mouse (there's one on eBay at the moment with a £50 starting bid) and a basic 1 in, 1 out MIDI interface for the computer. Assign a different program change number to each patch in MainStage and you're good to go.

2. If the keyboard has any buttons on it which send CC messages, you can get MainStage to respond to 2 of these as Next/Previous patch commands. It requires a small amount of setting up but it's not too tricky. Then you can drag your patches into the required order in MainStage and that's pretty much it. No extra purchasing necessary.