Why become a member? ×

Di Box Comparison

adamg67

This seems pretty generally useful so I'll put it here... I've been looking at DI and DI boxes recently and came across this, sods law says it won't have the DI you're interested in but it does show the differences between them, and the way that some of them are deliberately not transparent which can be good or bad depending what you want. I love my Radial JDI because I don't need anything except a bass and the DI for it to sound good, and that's because it does smooth things out a bit. Anyway:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/direct-box-comparison-bass-guitar/

Edited by adamg67
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this, I look forward to a proper listen on a laptop with headphones. I have been trying to explain to the other engineers that the frequency response of a DI box depends crucially on the components (esp the transformer for passive DI), and that there is a good reason to use active DI for passive bass because it doesn't load the guitar. Maybe just listening to the differences will make it clear.

I use EMO passive boxes on stage, bomb-proof. Not perfect for elecroacoustic guitar, but better than any other passive I tried, and fine for active bass and keys.

3 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I use EMO passive boxes on stage, bomb-proof. Not perfect for elecroacoustic guitar, but better than any other passive I tried, and fine for active bass and keys.

I hadn't come across those, they look good - I've got a JDI but I want another DI box that's very transparent and will definitely take line level input, for the odd times when the sound engineer can't cope with the fact that my amp DI is line level not mic level, or when I've only got a mic pre to go into. Sounds like the EMO would fit the bill?

The EMO takes mic, line, or 50v speaker level inputs, I have never used the latter!

I actually got them because many years ago I needed three DI boxes in a hurry. I was working in Leamington and a colleague suggested I try some shop called Bass Direct on the off chance. I phoned and the owner said they didn't stock them, but he was clearing out some used personal PA gear to sell so as it happened he had two mono and a stereo DI. They have been on stage at church, or kicked round the back halls ever since.