Why become a member? ×

New hopeful Bassist from the North.

Spoofa

Hi all,
Spoofa here, from up Newcastle way.

Only just started tinkering the other week on my mates bass, and got hooked.

Just ordered my own Bass & Amp and I'm looking forward to getting to learn. If anyone can suggest any YouTube / websites / books would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Spoofa.

Edited by Spoofa
Misspelled
  • Like 3

Hi Spoofa 

Welcome to the forum!!

Congrats on taking the first step to learn to play the Bass, What have you bought?

My personal favourites for learning on YouTube are BassBuzz and Become a Bassist but I’m sure you’ll get lots more suggestions.........👍

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the fold....

Hopefully there's somebody here that's local to you who might give you some pointers.

Personally I'm a big fan of Scott's Bass lessons ( http://scottsbasslessons.com/) and Talkingbass https://www.talkingbass.net/) - both have free lessons pitched at all levels. They should keep you going for, ooh the next 20 years or so...

As a beginner, probably the best piece of advice I can give you is STAY AWAY FROM THE MARKETPLACE!!! When I joined I had three basses which seemed to cover the ground. Now, like many members here, I have significantly more. The marketplace will almost certainly give you uncontrollable GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Ignore my advice at your peril!!😱😱

Beware those who tell you that "everything is nice...but more is better" (that's me usually)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello, welcome aboard!

I only started less than two years ago, like you I got hooked on a borrowed bass 😀. Studybass.com was by far the best resource I found. By coincidence I'm just actually returning to the site to go back to some basics again for a refresher. 

Have fun!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/01/2020 at 21:17, TheGreek said:

Welcome to the fold....

Hopefully there's somebody here that's local to you who might give you some pointers.

Personally I'm a big fan of Scott's Bass lessons ( http://scottsbasslessons.com/) and Talkingbass https://www.talkingbass.net/) - both have free lessons pitched at all levels. They should keep you going for, ooh the next 20 years or so...

As a beginner, probably the best piece of advice I can give you is STAY AWAY FROM THE MARKETPLACE!!! When I joined I had three basses which seemed to cover the ground. Now, like many members here, I have significantly more. The marketplace will almost certainly give you uncontrollable GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Ignore my advice at your peril!!😱😱

Beware those who tell you that "everything is nice...but more is better" (that's me usually)

I second every word of this post!

Scotts lessons are great and focus on your development and enjoyment over gear!!! :)

Welcome to the low end community 👊🏼🎶

• Like 1

On 07/01/2020 at 21:27, Richard R said:

p.s. make yourself a promise: don't by another bass until you can really play the one you have. 😉

P.S. Make yourself a promise: Keep buying loads and loads of different basses, in fact so many, so regularly, you don't have time to learn how to play any of them.

Fixed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2