Why become a member? ×

NOBD (New Old Bass Day): Modulus Flea

Beedster

New year, new gig, and a fortuitous opportunity to buy back the bass I custom ordered from Modulus in 2007, at the time because it was the more cred (compared to the sparkly finishes) of Flea's basses to my eye. It's great to have it back, didn't realise how much I;d missed having a Modulus around the place :)

Walshy, thanks so much mate

The bass.....

image.png.862f8e379f86cf049e34ea6e85b2b7b4.png

And why I love this bass (apart from the fact that it's bloody awesome to play)....

image.thumb.png.7034f85cb37f7ac1618a9f938ee1fed5.png

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 10

• 5 months later...

There is no better bass. Period. I used to say that I can play stuff on the Flea that I can't play on other basses. I'd go so far now as to say I can play stuff on the Flea that I can't even imagine playing on other basses. I've owned two Stingrays with Status graphite necks, both times I thought I would get very close to the Flea. Nowhere near. Modulus appear to really know what they're doing when they build basses.

I read somewhere that even pre-lockdown they were only producing three per month?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, loudandclear said:

Pretty sure I bought it from Marcus , only had it for a while (surprise) , cant recall who I sold it to though sorry ,lovely bass!

Ha ha, I suspect this is going to be a story involving, shall we say, the usual suspects :)

28 minutes ago, loudandclear said:

Yes no surprisesso far!!

Shall we suggest some names? I'll go first with @Clarky, not an obvious Modulus player - his tastes are generally a little more traditional and rootsy - but I'd be surprised if he hadn't tried one

21 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Shall we suggest some names? I'll go first with @Clarky, not an obvious Modulus player - his tastes are generally a little more traditional and rootsy - but I'd be surprised if he hadn't tried one

Not guilty. It is only one of 3 basses ever manufactured that I haven't either owned (and sold) or played. Or is it 2? 😁

12 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Not guilty. It is only one of 3 basses ever manufactured that I haven't either owned (and sold) or played. Or is it 2? 😁

So, by the rules of the game mate (which I'll admit are somewhat emergent at this point), that makes it your turn to suggest another potential owner? 

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

There is no better bass. Period. I used to say that I can play stuff on the Flea that I can't play on other basses. I'd go so far now as to say I can play stuff on the Flea that I can't even imagine playing on other basses. I've owned two Stingrays with Status graphite necks, both times I thought I would get very close to the Flea. Nowhere near. Modulus appear to really know what they're doing when they build basses.

I read somewhere that even pre-lockdown they were only producing three per month?

I believe I sold you one of those Status necks?

I had a similar experience. It tightened up the Stingray sound, adding its own unique twist, but it sounded absolutely nothing like the Modulus Flea. They've just got this incredibly unique tone that I haven't heard another bass get near. 

3 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

I’m sure my arm could be twisted, in fact I’m holding it behind my back now, waiting...

I hear green is your new colour, so count me in on your purple FB4 ;) 

I would properly get my ear bent by our singer if I turned up at an 80’s gig without The Purple One.

She’s loves it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

I’m sure my arm could be twisted, in fact I’m holding it behind my back now, waiting...

I hear green is your new colour, so count me in on your purple FB4 ;) 

I think the idea of this is, has the bass in the first post passed through your hands at any time.

If not, suggest someone who may have owned it (or has form for it 😂).

6 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I would properly get my ear bent by our singer if I turned up at an 80’s gig without The Purple One.

She’s loves it.

💜 don’t let that purple one go unless it’s back to chiliwailer or me! 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Ha ha. Will do mate. @Chiliwailer be fending you off with a short sharp stick though 😜

Do a cheeky drive past my house with it mate... I won’t tell all the others 🤫🤫🤫 (money will be by the gate under a pot) 👍🏻💜

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1