Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fernandes Precision

Beedster

6 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

How's it sound with neither pickup being in the sweet spot?

Very very nice, to the point that having payed conventional Precisions for a VERY long time, I have to question the sweet spot orthodoxy (although there's really no agreed sweet spot for the back PUP anyway) 

• Like 1

On 06/01/2020 at 20:23, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Cor, through-neck and everything!

I've said it before, but I really don't know why the PP configuration isn't more popular.

3 of my 4 gigging basses are P-P (the other one's a single MM-type)...they don't look it, tho... 😀

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Muzz said:

3 of my 4 gigging basses are P-P (the other one's a single MM-type)...they don't look it, tho... 😀

I know you get P's housed in a soapbar but if its double P it has to have the Derek Smalls "proper" double P vibe. 

Off to get a quote for doing thus to my Fender.. 

6 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I know you get P's housed in a soapbar but if its double P it has to have the Derek Smalls "proper" double P vibe. 

Well, if we're going to be setting rules, I'll see your Derek Smalls 'proper' double-P vibe and raise you the Derek Smalls "proper proper" double-double P vibe... 😀

image.png.4bd29c8f472796c68c0ba64e62ee02c2.png

Edited by Muzz
  • Haha 3

Ha ha, gonna have to keep an eye open for the double neck version

I've put some medium flats on the Fernandes, and the tone from the back PUP as well as the two PUPs blended is sublime, it has a quality that I can't quite locate to any PUP I've played before, far more meat but also more subtlety than a J-Bass PUP in the same position, but much less harshness than MM-style humbuckers or double-Js at the neck. I think the only bass I've owned that had such a good back PUP was the Yamaha 2024, but I suspect that this PUP works even better.

I've had to lift the back PUP and lower the neck PUP a little to balance to the volume between the two, but on a bass which I bought because I hoped that the bridge PUP might offer some versatility blended in with the neck PUP when the latter alone wasn't enough, I've got two very useable PUPs in their own right as well as in combination. A good result all around really, only added to by the outstanding build quality and tank-like stability of the bass itself. 

Don't know why I've refrained from commenting on this up to now - but bloody hell! :x

That ticks every P - shaped box I have: MIJ, through-neck, maple board, double P - I could go on...

Only ever seen this before in old catalogues, and not with a maple board:

1457751622_Fernandes1980Through-NeckPBasses.thumb.jpg.1e076c01b0542b50c09f7d0139e7666e.jpg

So I'm not sure whether yours is the FPM-80 or the BO-60. Apart from the price & finish, I'm unsure what the dfference is. Could be that yours is another model altogether and just not in any of the available catalogues. These only appear in the 1980 & '81 catalogues and will have been Japanese market models. Doubt if Fernades would have officially exported this sort of bass post "lawsuit era"!

I don't see many basses I seriously covet these days but if you ever decide to part with it, I'd be very seriously interested!

Yep, it's the FPM-80, and yes, whilst there have been a few for sale over the years - mostly in Japan - with rosewood boards, the maple boards seem to be very rare, and whilst I can't give you an evidence based reason, maple seem to be more at home on this bass, or put another way, having p;ayed it for a few weeks, I can't imagine it with a rosewood board. (which I usually prefer)

John, I'll be sure to give you the heads up if I sell mate :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Don't know why I've refrained from commenting on this up to now - but bloody hell! :x

That ticks every P - shaped box I have: MIJ, through-neck, maple board, double P - I could go on...

Only ever seen this before in old catalogues, and not with a maple board:

1457751622_Fernandes1980Through-NeckPBasses.thumb.jpg.1e076c01b0542b50c09f7d0139e7666e.jpg

So I'm not sure whether yours is the FPM-80 or the BO-60. Apart from the price & finish, I'm unsure what the dfference is. Could be that yours is another model altogether and just not in any of the available catalogues. These only appear in the 1980 & '81 catalogues and will have been Japanese market models. Doubt if Fernades would have officially exported this sort of bass post "lawsuit era"!

I don't see many basses I seriously covet these days but if you ever decide to part with it, I'd be very seriously interested!

https://m.thomann.de/pt/fgn_mighty_power_ash.htm

On 06/01/2020 at 19:43, Beedster said:

Glorious, that is all, I've always felt that P/Js lack a little something, P/Ps are clearly where it's at. And wow, Fender Custom Shop build quality in every respect. 

image.thumb.png.d5f74d2947cba731ac1925bf667d5e82.png

image.thumb.png.e035b825c63ae4356b52b5921fa32ae5.png

Very nice. Almost bought it a few months back, but Fernandes is the last name of my (ex) best friend, that betrayed me 2 years ago. I can't have a bass with his name on it, I would throw it out the window. 

3 hours ago, therealting said:

@BassassinLooks like the FPM has one more fret than the BO

Well spotted! Surprised that one extra fret appears to be worth 20,000 yen though!

1 hour ago, J_Bass said:

Interesting - not seen that before. Liking the fact it's a Fujigen, and the reverse 2xP, could forgive it being a bolt neck. They get so much right here - and then they go & bung that hideous half-Rick/half Ibby Blazer scratchplate on it...

• Haha 2