Why become a member? ×

Popping

Si@evc

Hi guys, new here. 

I'm a novice player in a newly formed band. On Saturday we set up in gig formation for a full run through at gig volume for our very 1st gig. 

I'm running an Ashdown mag 300 head with 2x 2x10 ashdown cabs. 

Guitar is a Gretsch short scale(Royal Blood) with the 2 humbuckers. 

Problem is, I'm noticing a popping or a thump sound mainly on the E string when you're giving it some beans. 

Any thoughts? 

Compression is off. EQ all flat at 12 o'clock. Input and output both at around 1 o'clock. 

Other than the string hitting the pickups, your amp might be clipping. Does it have a clip light to notify you of this happening?

Try turning your input gain down and then boost the output to reach your desired volume and then try "giving it the beans".

Hiya Si.

Short scale bass strings are under less tension than full-scale counterparts, so the strings are more 'floppy' This affects the attack and response.

I've got the same Gretsch (Junior Jet 2), and the difference in string tension between this and one of the full-scale basses is very noticeable.

As others have said, try lowering the PUPs, or giving it less of 'the beans'! :)

Good luck with your gig! 👍

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 2

It's hard to say without hearing the sound but my immediate response was that the string is hitting the pole piece too. The Pole is quite strongly magnetic and if the string goes near it will be pulled down by the magnet making temporary contact and a loud thump.

If your string height or neck relief are way out the string can also make quite a thump on the end of the fretboard/last fret.

It could also be a speaker or amp problem if you are overloading the amplification. Try turning the amp right down to home practice levels and then try playing really hard, if the thump has gone it's the amp/speaker combination. If the speaker coil is hitting the back of the magnet you'll destroy the speaker and it can make a noise like you describe. It may also be hitting the speaker grille especially if it is distorted or dented.

• Like 1