Why become a member? ×

Worth doing online courses?

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Howdy! 
I need to concentrate and  get myself back into the right frame of mind and actually make proper use of the stuff that I have. After moving into a smaller flat and  coming to terms with  health issues that make me not want to do anything , I'm beginning to declutter my mind and stuff in flat. I have recorded bits on sound cloud ( Mellowcat ) , but struggle to find out how to actually record anything properly and they become demos.

Gear: I have all the gear and no idea ..imac / Mac mini / bass/ moog  Grandmother not used much and various bass effects . I use reason 10  and before Xmas treated myself to launchpad mini 2 which includes Ableton live lite . 
I was thinking of paying for online lessons for reason and Ableton live .  I was looking last night at the reed website and they have a sale on until March . I have an old Roland sp202 sampler and dr 202 drum machine . I love the launchpad and blocswave apps at the moment 
what are your thoughts ? 

Thanks 

• 5 weeks later...

I’d recommend having a look at some of the recording courses at CityLit the adult education college in Covent Garden. Some are daytime courses others are evening or weekend.

example here of one of the Ableton courses: https://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/ableton-live

I’ve done a couple of Logic courses there and would recommend them, tutors were good and studios well equipped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/01/2020 at 16:10, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Howdy! 
I need to concentrate and  get myself back into the right frame of mind and actually make proper use of the stuff that I have. After moving into a smaller flat and  coming to terms with  health issues that make me not want to do anything , I'm beginning to declutter my mind and stuff in flat. I have recorded bits on sound cloud ( Mellowcat ) , but struggle to find out how to actually record anything properly and they become demos.

Gear: I have all the gear and no idea ..imac / Mac mini / bass/ moog  Grandmother not used much and various bass effects . I use reason 10  and before Xmas treated myself to launchpad mini 2 which includes Ableton live lite . 
I was thinking of paying for online lessons for reason and Ableton live .  I was looking last night at the reed website and they have a sale on until March . I have an old Roland sp202 sampler and dr 202 drum machine . I love the launchpad and blocswave apps at the moment 
what are your thoughts ? 

Thanks 

I normally read general discussion so missed this thread. I've used Ableton live lite for years before upgrading to standard. Never really used other DAW before. I've struggled myself as it was all new to me, but now love it. I've used online free lesson to use the basics of Ableton and with practice it was getting better. It's geared towards electronic music but I mostly record rock and heavier stuff. If you're into electronic music Ableton does wonders, I've never explored it but there are tons of free lessons on YouTube. I think self learn / free lessons  can save you money. Give me a shout big you need help, if I can I will. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner , and thanks for your help .

I thought it best to give an update . 

Since lockdown started , I decided to pull my finger out and get on with things

I have actually started  to record efforts of my bass ideas in my head, combined with  various keyboard apps on my iPad and  believe it or not , upload to soundcloud 🙀😸yes really . 
There is a way to go obviously , but  I am surprised by likes and reposts of my efforts . 

I think the way I was apprehensive towards recording , was like when I was starting out to learn songs on the bass when I as frightened of making mistakes and just played the notes and too nervous to fill and elaborate if that makes sense . The good thing which I should have realised earlier , was that if you make a mistake home recording , there are no frowns or pressure and that you can just scrap that file and open another one .  Hope that makes sense . 

I will tackle reason at some stage properly . Same with Ableton live .

At the moment, I'll try myself rather than course . 
I think sometimes you have to be in the mood also . Yesterday for example , I just recorded a few 2 minute efforts , and before that I wouldn't do anything for days. 

I had to move my equipment into the living room due to neighbour / noise issues so it as staring me in the face . I had no choice , but to get a grip and record something 😹

Anyway, I'll leave it there .

Thanks again for your help and input 👍

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE