Why become a member? ×

Behringer BA115 - What Head???

Lukebass11

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a question I'm sure has already gone round the houses, i just kind find the answer.

I've only ever used Combo amps so matching heads to cabs is something totally new to me.

I have been gifted a Behringer BA115 Ultrabass 600W cabinet and I'm trying to find a bass head to go with it.  The cab states that the handling is 8 ohms maximum.  I'm not planning on adding any more cabinets to my set-up.  Do i have to get a head which runs at 8 ohms?  I'm currently looking at either an Ashdown MAG300H Evo iii or Line 6 LowDown HD400 but both of these amps state 4 ohms minimum.  Are there going to be issues if I run either of these heads with this cab?  Sorry for the basic question, I just have no experience when it comes to this.

3 minutes ago, Lukebass11 said:

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a question I'm sure has already gone round the houses, i just kind find the answer.

I've only ever used Combo amps so matching heads to cabs is something totally new to me.

I have been gifted a Behringer BA115 Ultrabass 600W cabinet and I'm trying to find a bass head to go with it.  The cab states that the handling is 8 ohms maximum.  I'm not planning on adding any more cabinets to my set-up.  Do i have to get a head which runs at 8 ohms?  I'm currently looking at either an Ashdown MAG300H Evo iii or Line 6 LowDown HD400 but both of these amps state 4 ohms minimum.  Are there going to be issues if I run either of these heads with this cab?  Sorry for the basic question, I just have no experience when it comes to this.

No. It works the other way around, which at first seems counter intuitive. A 4 ohm amp will run 2 8ohm cabs, giving a combined load of 4 ohm,  or a single 8 Ohm cab at slightly reduced power. 

Basically don't worry about it. Pretty much any amp on the market will run an 8 ohm cab. 

Just be careful if you get an all valve amp, as you will have to select the load. Anything class D, or solid state will be pretty much plug and play. 

• Like 1