Why become a member? ×

Early 2000's Aria bass guitar - best to sell as a whole or strip for parts?

darkandrew

I have an early 2000's Aria bass guitar that I used to keep as a spare, a surprisingly good bass actually but probably not worth very much (I don't want to go into too much detail about the bass in case it looks like I'm trying sell it through the back door). Taking into consideration the cost and hassle of shipping a bass, would I be better off selling it as a whole or stripping it and selling it for parts instead (Duncan Designed MM and J pickups, 3 band active eq etc)?

Edited by darkandrew

Really impossible to answer without knowing what the bass is.

Aside from the 70s & 80s MIJ Arias and a few recent exceptions, there's usually not a lot of value to them. Not really sure why because broadly they're good quality instruments. I find it a bit depressing to say that it's possible you'd make more from the parts, depending on what it is.

49 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Aside from the 70s & 80s MIJ Arias and a few recent exceptions, there's usually not a lot of value to them.

That's what I was thinking. New, I think it was about £400-£500 about 15 or so years ago but I think I'd probably be lucky to get £150 for it despite it being a lot better than most budget basses you can buy today. By the way, what's the threshold for paying for ads on here?

6 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Aria resale values are terrible sadly. Which model is it? Some great basses in the IGB series.

Oddly enough, that's exactly what it is. I'm not sure of the model, I've never seen or found another with the same MM/J configuration and Duncan Designed pickups.

Edited by darkandrew

18 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

That looks very similar, although mine's a 4 stringer with a different bridge (Hipshot style, finished in satin to match the tuners and knobs), a lighter (natural ash?) body finish and "Duncan Designed" branding on the pickups. I really don't want to post any pictures, etc, for the reasons given earlier, ie. I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to sell it without paying my subscription but then I really have no idea if it's worth trying to sell it? What do you think - worth buying a subscription and giving it a go?

Edited by darkandrew

The 4 string versions came with a different brushed metal bridge and knobs, I've had Integras from the 90s and 2000s with it on. Like this:
tblila1kne4lxbxwzebe.jpg

Never not liked an Integra, I had the passive version of the bass above which cost me £55 and I gigged it all over. All except the very early Korean one I still have were crazy light too. Never seen them with Duncan Designed pickups though, are these original?

Edited by lemmywinks

5 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

The 4 string versions came with a different brushed metal bridge and knobs, I've had Integras from the 90s and 2000s with it on. Like this:
tblila1kne4lxbxwzebe.jpg

Never not liked an Integra, I had the passive version of the bass above which cost me £55 and I gigged it all over. All except the very early Korean one I still have were crazy light too. Never seen them with Duncan Designed pickups though, are these original?

Yes, bought it new from Sharron Music (long since gone out of business) in Hythe. Can I PM you a photo to see if you think it's worth putting it up for sale?

Edited by darkandrew

11 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

The discussion here plus my negligible detective skills have led me to speculate it might be an IGB-65 - is this it?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/modern-bass-guitars/second-hand-aria-igb-65-in-natural

Again similar but mine is in MM/J configuration.

20200105_232714.jpg

Edited by darkandrew

The only differences between the regular IGB68 and yours are the Duncan Designed pickups, the addition of a J pickup and the single switch instead of two. Same hardware and body. Definitely a nice bass and they tend to go for a bit more than the budget IGB basses.

With the Korean and Chinese IGB basses Aria have the 2 digit nomenclature to differentiate between models which doesn't always make a lot of sense, you might find the model number by just Googling IGB with every number from 60 upwards which should be fun!

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

That Integra body carve and satin hardware look very similar to the Cort Curbow. Are the Arias made by Cort? 

Samicks I think for the Korean ones, think these are Chinese but could be wrong. Same bridge on the Korean ones though.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

The later IGB basses have that nice carve, I think it's more pronounced on the newer (guessing Chinese?) ones. The older Korean ones were flat with a different logo and pup arrangement (either P/J or J/J). Then there are some early oddities made in Korea with the older style Japanese body with Integra writing (like MIJ Billy Gould's basses), stubby headstock shape and the proper MIJ classic Aria bridge found on the more desirable basses.

All this with basically no model numbers on the basses save for the odd one with it on the truss rod cover. Not sure how enthusiastic collectors are regarding the serial number identification of Korean Arias (I'm guessing not very much) but it might be worth a shot. Looks to be from May '03 going off the serial anyway. 

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

The later IGB basses have that nice carve, I think it's more pronounced on the newer (guessing Chinese?) ones. The older Korean ones were flat with a different logo and pup arrangement (either P/J or J/J). Then there are some early oddities made in Korea with the older style Japanese body with Integra writing (like MIJ Billy Gould's basses), stubby headstock shape and the proper MIJ classic Aria bridge found on the more desirable basses.

All this with basically no model numbers on the basses save for the odd one with it on the truss rod cover. Not sure how enthusiastic collectors are regarding the serial number identification of Korean Arias (I'm guessing not very much) but it might be worth a shot. Looks to be from May '03 going off the serial anyway. 

You've got me digging around the internet now - yes, the serial number (S030510207) does seem to indicate that it was made in the Korean Samick factory in May 2003 which would tie in with when I bought it and my recollection of where I thought it was made.

How much is it to put a bass up for sale here - I should know but it's usually me doing the buying!

47 minutes ago, darkandrew said:

How much is it to put a bass up for sale here - I should know but it's usually me doing the buying!

* £7.00 for a one-off ad or...
* £20.00 subscription for unlimited ads for a year.

Set up and pay via the 'Shop' tab under the BassChat logo at the top of the page. Any probs, buzz a mod and someone will sort you out :)

Edited by skankdelvar

8 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

* £7.00 for a one-off ad or...
* £20.00 subscription for unlimited ads for a year.

Set up and pay via the 'Shop' tab under the BassChat logo at the top of the page. Any probs, buzz a mod and someone will sort you out :)

Cheers

Can I quickly hijack this to ask the difference between Aria and Aria Pro, with or without the II?

I've got an Aria Pro II Magna Series 5er that I know pretty much nothing about, with replaced hardware that's definitely worth more individually than as a bass.

9 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Duncan Designed are the Korean-made budget range, they aren't worth a huge amount.

I thought that even with that in mind, after taking into acount selling and delivery fees, etc, I'd probably still end up with a similar amount if I just stuck them on eBay on a £1 deal or on here for free (being less than £50) than if I tried to sell and post the bass. It all depends what the bass is worth I guess.