Why become a member? ×

Issues powering a Zoom B3 with a PowerBrick

rushbo

Too much voltage might kill a pedal. but there is not a corresponding "too much current" as the pedal will only draw as much current as it needs.

If I understand your scenario, your whine might be caused because you are using multiple pedals but your existing pedal supply is not isolated.  The pedals interfere with each other, causing the noise.  The Fame DC Junior as linked above is isolated - I have one and it's going well so far.  One of my pedals is a Zoom MS-60B and I've had no problems or whine/noise.

I use a current doubler for one of my other pedals because it wants 750mA but the Zoom doesn't need one.

Sorry, I seem to be doing nothing but adding to the confusion, or creating it.

My last post should have read “did it kill the B3n WHINE”.

Up to now I’ve used a separate power supply for my B3n, with no whine.

I just wanted to simplify my setup and get rid of extra wires etc. 

Right, so in summary, your current setup is:

• Zoom B3n, powered by a Diago power supply.
  • Some other pedals, powered by a Harley Benton Powerplant.

This works fine but you'd like to simplify the setup by using one single power supply for all pedals.

Unfortunately, when you power everything from the Harley Benton Powerplant, there is a whine.

In which case, in MichaelDean and my experience, the Fame DC Junior will power all your pedals without a whine.  You won't need a current doubler cable. 

There is another suggestion which I have heard people talk about but I have not tried myself, and I can't find the link.  If I remember correctly, it's some sort of small £10 adapter which goes between the power supply and the pedal, and removes the whine noise.  I think @Al Krow tried one out so maybe he knows what I'm on about?

• Like 1

On 05/01/2020 at 20:00, songofthewind said:

So does using the Y cable double volts to 18 volts, as well as doubling the amps?

I know nothing about elecktrickery, so be gentle with me.

I imagine it's whether the cable joins the two outputs in series or parallel. If in series, you double up the voltage, in in parallel you double the current. 

1 hour ago, songofthewind said:

Sorry, I seem to be doing nothing but adding to the confusion, or creating it.

My last post should have read “did it kill the B3n WHINE”.

Up to now I’ve used a separate power supply for my B3n, with no whine.

I just wanted to simplify my setup and get rid of extra wires etc. 

There is no whine 👍

2 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Right, so in summary, your current setup is:

• Zoom B3n, powered by a Diago power supply.
  • Some other pedals, powered by a Harley Benton Powerplant.

This works fine but you'd like to simplify the setup by using one single power supply for all pedals.

Unfortunately, when you power everything from the Harley Benton Powerplant, there is a whine.

Do you mean the Harley benton powerplant? In which case, yes there will be a whine, or do you mean the Harley Benton Powerplant Jr, in which case there really shouldn't be.

In my posts before I was only talking about the Jr. The non Jr is not isolated.

16 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Do you mean the Harley benton powerplant? In which case, yes there will be a whine, or do you mean the Harley Benton Powerplant Jr, in which case there really shouldn't be.

The thread is a bit confusing.  The original poster (rushbo) has the Powerplant Junior (the white one), which is isolated but delivers low current.  The solution was to use a current doubler.

Then songofthewind joined in with "I have the same problem" but it turns out he has a different problem.  He said in post 5 of this thread: "I’ve got the large blue Harley Benton Powerplant" - which has the opposite problem to the Powerplant Junior, namely that although it delivers sufficient current, it is not isolated.  The proposed solution is that he switches to a power supply which both (1) delivers enough current; and (2) is isolated - for example, the Fame DC Junior.

(He could switch to a Powerplant Junior + doubler cable, but to me that solution only makes sense if you already had the Powerplant Junior in the first place.)

35 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

The thread is a bit confusing.  The original poster (rushbo) has the Powerplant Junior (the white one), which is isolated but delivers low current.  The solution was to use a current doubler.

Then songofthewind joined in with "I have the same problem" but it turns out he has a different problem.  He said in post 5 of this thread: "I’ve got the large blue Harley Benton Powerplant" - which has the opposite problem to the Powerplant Junior, namely that although it delivers sufficient current, it is not isolated.

And the original was the B3, not the B3n

On 14/01/2020 at 06:57, songofthewind said:

Rushbo, I’m sorry I’ve caused so much confusion by hijacking the thread! 

It's your thread now, songofthewind...

I hope you get your issues sorted out - mine was relatively straightforward by comparison.