Why become a member? ×

Issues powering a Zoom B3 with a PowerBrick

rushbo

Hi BassChat electricity experts.

For years I've powered my Zoom B3 from its own dedicated power supply - ie, the plug it came with. I'm expanding my modest board and so I thought I'd get a powerbrick to power it, along with my Smoothound wireless receiver and a Korg tuner. Unfortunately, muggins here didn't read the small print and the Zoom requires 500mA and the brick (an otherwise lovely Harley Benton Powerplant Junior) only supplies 5 x 120mA. This means the Zoom powers on for a second, then goes off when I use the brick.  It came with a Y adapter which combines two of the five outputs to a single one - with some trepidation, I tried using that and it seemed to work. I'm reticent to keep it on longer than 30 seconds in case I do irreparable damage to my beloved B3, so my question is...

...will I kill my Zoom B3, if I use the Y adapter from the Powerplant Junior to power it?

Please help an electrical numptie...

• Like 1

Not sure whether you'll kill it but just to be on the safe side I'd recommend getting a Truetone 1-Spot. I used one to power my B3 along with a couple of other pedals for several years. Cheap as chips and they handle up to 1700mA.

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yep. Seem to remember something came with a yellow adapter. I changed much later to a different power supply but I used that for a while.

That’s the chap- brilliant news. Thanks to the Basschat hive mind from Rushbo and songofthewind. 

On 05/01/2020 at 20:00, songofthewind said:

So does using the Y cable double volts to 18 volts, as well as doubling the amps?

I know nothing about elecktrickery, so be gentle with me.

Depends on the Y cable. They are typically either current doublers (leaving the voltage the same) OR voltage doublers (leaving the current the same). But not doubling both at the same time. 

The cables should specify which they are when you buy them, or be colour coded with a guide if they come with your power brick. 

15 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

Thanks, Al, I will check the one that came with the Powerbank. Perhaps I can buy a voltage doubler cable somewhere.

Try GuitarGuitar - I just got one for for £7

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/12011410194688--voodoo-lab-current-doubler-cable?gclid=Cj0KCQiA9dDwBRC9ARIsABbedBP0ZAmP6Y_M9zrZL6CKiuE1-RhUbhMNktQ-c74Bz1qX37UfWaTaonAaAiWpEALw_wcB

12 hours ago, songofthewind said:

...which is what you posted, Rushbo. I truly am useless at this. I’m the kind of person who licks the iron to see if it’s hot enough.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Don't beat yourself up...I am maybe one rung further up the ladder than you, but I still can't wire a plug without looking at a diagram...

• Thanks 1

I just upgraded my power supply in order to be able to ditch the additional power supply for my B3N and got one of these:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Fame-DC-Junior/art-GIT0040359-000?campaign=PSM_UK/kelkoo&ProgramUUID=MrLAqJarZEUAAAFobL.P7Dz7#rating-area

With 500ma off each output, it should power just about anything I throw at it. Seems solid so far! 

11 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

I just upgraded my power supply in order to be able to ditch the additional power supply for my B3N and got one of these:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Fame-DC-Junior/art-GIT0040359-000?campaign=PSM_UK/kelkoo&ProgramUUID=MrLAqJarZEUAAAFobL.P7Dz7#rating-area

With 500ma off each output, it should power just about anything I throw at it. Seems solid so far! 

Does it kill the B3n?