Left leaderboard
rze99

P-bass 1954 tribute / reinterpretation build white black guard - lots of pics

Hi all. I just acquired this from one of our friends here on the site and it was originally built by @the brig, since modified a few times

It is based on a 1954 Precision model with the belly carve. It's not a replica as it has updated elements, but I think it really captures the clean aesthetic of the early P-Bass.

You typically see early P basses in sunburst and butterscotch blonde, but I think it looks terrific in white / off white. Warmoth body (ash?) and Mighty Mite neck with a Jazz-type profile where the nut width is 38mm not 42mm medium thick. I think 9.5 radius and medium /or /j frets I think. Full size open backed tuners. Neck has a vintage stain Tru-oil type finish to a light gloss/satin sheen. Body is a light gloss water based poly finish.

Seymour Duncan debadged single coil quarter pounder with CTS 250 pots, and a 0.047 cap. Warmoth Bakelite type material scratch plate. High mass through body string bridge that can also top bridge string through. Weight is approx 8.25lbs it's perfectly balanced and feels light.  It's got a big thunk and clunk but rolling back the volume and tone it is subtle. I might get a white guard for it too.. or a tort - or both for a look change once in a while.  If you have something similar I'd be interested as to whether you have a noise cancelling pickup and what it is. I'm using a Boss NS2 as a gate. I'm a Telecaster fan and have built many so I love this design as it is so complementary and am used to single coils.. 

Took so photos yesterday so thought I'd share them.

IMG_5094.JPG

IMG_5060.JPG

IMG_5062.JPG

IMG_5065.JPG
IMG_5071.JPG IMG_5073.JPG
IMG_5048.JPG
IMG_5093.JPG
IMG_5095.JPG IMG_5098.JPG

• Like 6

Cracking bass, a credit to its creators! I'm amazed it took so long to sell as well. Enjoy! 😎

Foxy. White is a great colour for 54 style basses.

Bassdirect had something similar a few years ago, white 54 style Custom Shop jobbie but with a mint scratchplate. I couldn't find a buyer for any organs, sadly.

That's absolutely stunning.  It has inspired me to build a similar one.  It might be my 2020 project. :)

Frank.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By knirirr
      I swapped the body on a bass I bought here; I don't think I'm likely to swap it back, particularly as this one is white and the modified instrument is now used as my main jam session bass. So, just in case it's useful to anyone else (highly unlikely, I know ;-), I thought I'd list it here. Price does not include postage, and it might take me a while to find a suitable box. Bridge and scratchplate included.
      The original neck was a WD music one, BTW.

• By DanTM
      Hello there !

So I fell in love with a Sandberg which I've already ordered and since I am not Richie Rich I need to sell something to raise the funds for this aka live in peace with the mother of my children.

I have to admit that this move is stupid since it burns the money I've spent in the blink of an eye but the love for the Sandberg is so strong ..... I don't care.

Up for sale is the Warmoth PJ project that has just been finished and is built from only highclass parts. So far has been played on for maybe 3 hours so it is like new !

Warmoth Custom Body
      Model: Chambered P Bass®
      Orientation: Right handed
      Scale: 34"
      Wood: Flame Maple on Mahogany
      Contours: Contoured Heel / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
      Battery Box: No Battery Box Rout
      Top Finish: Transparent Purple
      Back Finish: Transparent Purple
      Finish Type: Satin Finish

Warmoth Custom Neck
      Style: J Bass®
      Orientation: Right Handed
      Neck Wood/Hals: Roasted Flame Maple
      Fingerboard/Griffbrett Wood: Ebony
      Nut Width: 1-1/2" (38mm)
      Fret Size/Bünde: 6150
      Tuner Ream: BML (17.5mm)
      Radius: 10"
      Scale: 34"
      Fret #: 21
      Pre-Cut Installed String Nut/Sattel: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
      Inlays: Cream Face Dots
      Side Dots: White Side Dots
      Stiffening Rods:Standard Steel Rods

I put several layers of TruOil on the neck and put one seal of wax on it in the end - Feels just awesome and looks amazing !

Tuners: HipShot UltraLite
      Bridge: HipShot Style A Aluminium Bridge
      Pickups: Sandberg Black Label
      Electrics: Noll TCM 4 XM (B 2083) - Runs with 2 x 9 Volt batteries = 18 V for more headroom
      Potis: 3 x Tandem
      Pins: Schaller Security Locks
      String retainer: Sandberg

At the moment it is set up for D Standard --> DGCF

4,5 KG

This baby was put together by a professional luthier in Germany (Acys Guitar Lounge). It received the best treatment and all the routings and the electric cavity was shielded professionally.

This is what it cost me:
      Pickups: 230 EUR
      Bridge: 130 EUR
      Electrics inkl. Potis: 200 EUR
      Body and Neck incl. shipping and all taxes: 1500 EUR
      Tuners: 145 EUR
      Security Locks: 20 EUR
      Luthier costs to put it together professionally: 630 EUR

In total: 2.855 EUR

I put it up for sale for WITHDRAWN

... shipping to anywhere within the European Union
      ... standard Sandberg Gigbag
      ... higher insurance

I am not interested in a trade

You can play and pick it up in Munich/Germany and pay in cash if you want to. You can also pay by bank transfer (You cover the transfer costs) or by PayPal (Family & Friends only)

If you want to I can make more pictures.

• By loremil
      Lovely Sire V7 2nd generation fretless in olympic white. Low action, slim and straight neck and loads of fretless mwhaaa. Bought in June 2019 and in perfect condition.

Currently strung with D’Addario XL rounds, but happy to provide the original D’Addario flats the bass came with.

It got me hooked on fretless and I’m upgrading, hence the sell.
      Collection in London only, please. Thanks for looking!

• By benebass
      Putting another of my Warmoth creations up for sale. This one started life as a really light one piece ash Z Bass body that I rounded off a bit to make more comfy then finished in Tru Oil. The neck is 32" scale & made of Canary (had this on another build, but works better on this one). EMG passive JV52 pickups, custom scratchplate, Fender vintage bridge & Schaller BML Light machine heads. Strung with Status flats. Really nice bass, but not playing as much as I'd like. Looking for £300 collected from Newcastle & I'll throw in a gig bag.

• By Gat0017
      Hello guys, me and my father are currently on a search for Yamaha BBNE2 white. We are already trying for months. As we live in Czechia our sources are kinda limited. We don't want to get one from USA cause we would have to pay 30% VAT+duty. We even tried getting it from Japan online store KUROSAWA and they told us to wait until the end of February but I asked now anyway and they responded with the bass delivery being postponed to May. So that gave me an idea to ask you guys here. If you know anyone who posses this bass, or know some of your local or online shop/second-hand shop where this bass is available and on stock for a reasonable price, just please give us a hint. We are willing to come for it across the europe. Thank you all very much for your help.
      Jirka