Why become a member? ×

P-bass 1954 tribute / reinterpretation build white black guard - lots of pics

rze99

Hi all. I just acquired this from one of our friends here on the site and it was originally built by @the brig, since modified a few times

It is based on a 1954 Precision model with the belly carve. It's not a replica as it has updated elements, but I think it really captures the clean aesthetic of the early P-Bass.

You typically see early P basses in sunburst and butterscotch blonde, but I think it looks terrific in white / off white. Warmoth body (ash?) and Mighty Mite neck with a Jazz-type profile where the nut width is 38mm not 42mm medium thick. I think 9.5 radius and medium /or /j frets I think. Full size open backed tuners. Neck has a vintage stain Tru-oil type finish to a light gloss/satin sheen. Body is a light gloss water based poly finish.

Seymour Duncan debadged single coil quarter pounder with CTS 250 pots, and a 0.047 cap. Warmoth Bakelite type material scratch plate. High mass through body string bridge that can also top bridge string through. Weight is approx 8.25lbs it's perfectly balanced and feels light.  It's got a big thunk and clunk but rolling back the volume and tone it is subtle. I might get a white guard for it too.. or a tort - or both for a look change once in a while.  If you have something similar I'd be interested as to whether you have a noise cancelling pickup and what it is. I'm using a Boss NS2 as a gate. I'm a Telecaster fan and have built many so I love this design as it is so complementary and am used to single coils.. 

Took so photos yesterday so thought I'd share them.

IMG_5094.JPG

IMG_5060.JPG

IMG_5062.JPG

IMG_5065.JPG
IMG_5071.JPG IMG_5073.JPG
IMG_5048.JPG
IMG_5093.JPG
IMG_5095.JPG IMG_5098.JPG

• Like 7