Why become a member? ×

The Masked Singer - ITV

TheGreek

Seems there's a gaggle of D-listers who are always cropping up on such guff e.g. the ghastly McCall woman. Could someone please tell me why there's been an explosion of utter bilge on terrestrial TV over the last 5-10 years, much of it mercifully confined to minor channels such as ITV2, ITVBe, Channel 5 etc? Have the general public become that more stupid or is it a case of TV production companies bunging a load of cheap-to-make sh01te against the wall and hoping some will stick?

3 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

...there's been an explosion of utter bilge on terrestrial TV over the last 5-10 years, much of it mercifully confined to minor channels such as ITV2, ITVBe, Channel 5 etc? Have the general public become that more stupid or is it a case of TV production companies bunging a load of cheap-to-make sh01te against the wall and hoping some will stick?

I think you've inadvertently answered the question yourself - whereas ITV, Channel 5, etc only had to fill one schedule back in the day, someone at the top of their respective operations clearly felt they needed to expand to remain competitive with other channels. Unfortunately, more channels means more schedules to fill, and a need to try and attract an audience to each of them.

Of course, they could have gone for arty and highbrow content instead, but I presume the same people who gave a green light to these new sub-channels, simultaneously glanced at the viewing figures for BBC Four, and decided that brainless, low-brow cobblers was the way to go...

15 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Seems there's a gaggle of D-listers who are always cropping up on such guff e.g. the ghastly McCall woman. Could someone please tell me why there's been an explosion of utter bilge on terrestrial TV over the last 5-10 years, much of it mercifully confined to minor channels such as ITV2, ITVBe, Channel 5 etc? Have the general public become that more stupid or is it a case of TV production companies bunging a load of cheap-to-make sh01te against the wall and hoping some will stick?

I think it's a purposeful dumbing down of society. I had to stop watching terrestrial TV when being an utter moron from Essex was enough to be "famous". 

I started off just avoiding those type of programs, but then it spread like a virus, and they started to appear on programs I actually liked, especially comedy panel shows like Q.I, Mock The Week, Buzzcocks etc. 

That was probably about 8 or 9 years ago, and I've watched TV and movies exclusively online ever since. I wouldn't pay a quid to watch the BBC, and I can't stand the adverts on commercial channels, which also seem to be made by, and aimed at morons. So streaming services are the only way to go. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I think it's a purposeful dumbing down of society. I had to stop watching terrestrial TV when being an utter moron from Essex was enough to be "famous". 

I started off just avoiding those type of programs, but then it spread like a virus, and they started to appear on programs I actually liked, especially comedy panel shows like Q.I, Mock The Week, Buzzcocks etc. 

That was probably about 8 or 9 years ago, and I've watched TV and movies exclusively online ever since. I wouldn't pay a quid to watch the BBC, and I can't stand the adverts on commercial channels, which also seem to be made by, and aimed at morons. So streaming services are the only way to go. 

There's still good stuff to be found...me and Mrs H are addicted to Antiques Roadtrip! The beeb comes up with some good drama, The Capture being a good example. As for adverts, we mostly watch on catch up or delay watching a 9pm programme until 9.15 (using the 15 minutes to make the tea, nip down the shop for some choccie biccies etc) and then fforward through the dreadverts.....Simples! (oh bugger, they've got me)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I rarely watch Freeview other than the occasional engineering themed prog on Yesterday, rugby internationals, some old classics like The Sweeney etc and the horseracing on ITV. Most current output is lobotomising drivel e.g. Orange Wives of Cheshire/Essex/Chelsea/Sunderland etc, Lust Island, Mock The Buzzcocks , Britain's Got Mediocrity, 9 Out Of 10 Cats Think Jimmy Carr's a Douche yadda, blah etc. But my original question is of the chicken and egg type. Are the programme makers responding to demand or did they create it in the first place?  The meejah make a big fuss of the more successful shows like Lust Island but this only pulls in around 4 million viewers so surely advertisers can't be making a load of dosh here.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I rarely watch Freeview other than the occasional engineering themed prog on Yesterday, rugby internationals, some old classics like The Sweeney etc and the horseracing on ITV. Most current output is lobotomising drivel e.g. Orange Wives of Cheshire/Essex/Chelsea/Sunderland etc, Lust Island, Mock The Buzzcocks , Britain's Got Mediocrity, 9 Out Of 10 Cats Think Jimmy Carr's a Douche yadda, blah etc. But my original question is of the chicken and egg type. Are the programme makers responding to demand or did they create it in the first place?  The meejah make a big fuss of the more successful shows like Lust Island but this only pulls in around 4 million viewers so surely advertisers can't be making a load of dosh here.

I refer to my earlier post. I genuinely believe that it's a purposeful dumbing down of the masses. Keep people dumb and distracted, and you can do what you want. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I refer to my earlier post. I genuinely believe that it's a purposeful dumbing down of the masses. Keep people dumb and distracted, and you can do what you want. 

I agree, bread and circuses and all that jazz. Back in the 80s it was all about Princess D's antics that kept the masses occupied. Now that younger people are less interested in the RF the system provides pop-up D list slebs for their delectation

• Like 1

I absolutely hate all forms of reality TV. Had some of this garbage inflicted on me by the Mother in Law who was telling me that 'this is proper entertainment blah, blah, blah'. This really is plumbing uncharted depths of shite.

Edited by Japhet

I watched a bit of it a few weeks ago and quite liked it. If it weren’t for the fact that I really like The Voice, which is on straight after I’d watch The Masked Singer but two singing competition shows in a row is too much for me.

On 19/01/2020 at 12:49, Japhet said:

I absolutely hate all forms of reality TV. Had some of this garbage inflicted on me by the Mother in Law who was telling me that 'this is proper entertainment blah, blah, blah'. This really is plumbing uncharted depths of shite.

Some i like...strictly for example. They present it like a panto which is entertaining and what the contestants are trying to do is difficult. Me and my lad used to drool over Ola Jordan (my lad is 28, so he's old enough to drool) and the missus worships the show so we always watch it. Some of the Bear Grylls stuff is good too. Now as to Love Island....do not get me started!

1 hour ago, ricksterphil said:

Some i like...strictly for example. They present it like a panto which is entertaining and what the contestants are trying to do is difficult. Me and my lad used to drool over Ola Jordan (my lad is 28, so he's old enough to drool) and the missus worships the show so we always watch it. Some of the Bear Grylls stuff is good too. Now as to Love Island....do not get me started!

If given the chance, I tell people that never watching any reality TV is the only realistically attainable ambition I have left in life. I remember the very first outing of Big Brother and thought it was like a fly on the wall deal, only flies on the wall were much more interesting. I've pretty much managed to avoid all of it since then.

I also remember Clive James on TV. The Japanese show called 'Endurance' where contestants were made to do revolting things, eat disgusting things, were humiliated and tortured made compulsive viewing because it was so wierd and so cruel. You can see hour after hour of that kind of dross every single Saturday night now on British TV. It's all a bit sad really.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Japhet said:

If given the chance, I tell people that never watching any reality TV is the only realistically attainable ambition I have left in life. I remember the very first outing of Big Brother and thought it was like a fly on the wall deal, only flies on the wall were much more interesting. I've pretty much managed to avoid all of it since then.

I actually thought the first series of Big Brother was ground-breaking in it it's time. It was a kind of social experiment conducted "live" on television, and was quite interesting in that respect. It all went down hill after that as people realised they could get famous doing it, pandered to the cameras, and the producers recruited more and more extreme personalities to make for perceived "better" viewing. 

Now i'd rather pull my own toenails out than watch any kind of reality TV. Actually i'd rather pull my own toenails out than watch any terrestrial network television at all. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...