Why become a member? ×

The Masked Singer - ITV

TheGreek

I haven't watched this, but (from a trivia perspective), I do recall my mum correctly identifying P J Proby as the Masked Singer on Opportunity Knocks 40-odd years ago.  Reading his bio, it does seem quite shocking now how his career nosedived after two on-stage trouser splitting incidents, especially considering how Flea did a good chunk of a show I saw at Wembley wearing nothing at all.

5 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I haven't watched this, but (from a trivia perspective), I do recall my mum correctly identifying P J Proby as the Masked Singer on Opportunity Knocks 40-odd years ago.  Reading his bio, it does seem quite shocking now how his career nosedived after two on-stage trouser splitting incidents, especially considering how Flea did a good chunk of a show I saw at Wembley wearing nothing at all.

I did a couple of gigs backing PJ Proby some years ago. An utter and irredeemable cockwomble of the highest order.

• Haha 3

There were numerous aberrations. Two in particular spring to mind. 
1.) While rehearsing in a complex of rehearsal rooms he insisted on sitting in the doorway with the door open and wanted everything really loud. When we suggested that this wouldn‘t be cool for other bands rehearsing there, his response was. “F*ck ‘em!”

2.) Our sax player was a German guy of mixed race who spoke good English but wasn’t familiar with all forms of colloquial English. Mr. Proby asked him to play some yackety sax. Our sax player didn’t immediately understand what he meant. His response? “Ya know, play me some of that n*gger sh*t.”

Fortunately for Mr. Proby, our Sax player, who’s about 6” taller than him, is a very calm person. I would have snotted the tw*t on the spot.

Edited by SICbass
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, SICbass said:

1.) While rehearsing in a complex of rehearsal rooms he insisted on sitting in the doorway with the door open and wanted everything really loud. When we suggested that this wouldn‘t be cool for other bands rehearsing there, his response was. “F*ck ‘em!”

2.) Our sax player was a German guy of mixed race who spoke good English but wasn’t familiar with all forms of colloquial English. Mr. Proby asked him to play some yackety sax. Our sax player didn’t immediately understand what he meant. His response? “Ya know, play me some of that n*gger sh*t.”

Fortunately for Mr. Proby, our Sax player, who’s about 6” taller than him, is a very calm person. I would have snotted the tw*t on the spot.

Nice

Edited by nige1968
Hamfistedness

4 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I was told by a reliable source that the celebrities pre-record their tracks and then it’s backing dancers in the costumes until the ‘big reveal’ when the celebrities finally don the outfits.

If that's true, they went to great lengths to replicate Alan Johnson's physique.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I was told by a reliable source that the celebrities pre-record their tracks and then it’s backing dancers in the costumes until the ‘big reveal’ when the celebrities finally don the outfits.

You can hear the autotune giving them a fight during the masked ‘performances’...

Strangely mesmerising though!

I've heard that they will be airing a new “Z-Lister Celebrity" show in the spring called “What Did I Have For Dinner?..."

The premise involves a bunch of “has-beens" who are so desperate to not be forgotten by a bunch of people that they've never met that they willingly fart into Tupperware containers in front of a live audience of “wannabe has-beens" whilst another group of “has-beens" (now passing themselves off as fart sniffing experts) take a whiff of the contents of the Tupperware container and attempt a guess at what the original “has-been" has had for their dinner...

Hence the title “What Did I Have For Dinner?.."

Sounds like guff to me...

On the “plus side", Holly Willoughby is set to be a guest presenter...  :i-m_so_happy:

Screenshot_20200106-220312.png

• Haha 4

On 05/01/2020 at 10:48, SICbass said:

When I first moved to Leeds as a student I lodged in house where there were a number of Leeds College of Music students living too. They used to dep. at Batley Variety Club for visiting artists, one of whom I remember them telling me was Mr Proby, who I seem to recall them saying was well past his best then, which was around late 76, early 77. I believe by then he was resident in the UK also.