Why become a member? ×

Great covers singles 2015-2020

Al Krow

I don’t use much live apart from eq, comp and some low gain and it sounds right with our band style - if you ‘need’ the effect fair enough but for the most part just play it cleanly and well and respect the groove and it’ll work. 
I listened to a podcast with Charlie Puth’s live bassist and he was on about his live tone for Attention and I immediately checked out the live track - bass sounded quite high end-y and not the great a bass sound. Did it blend with the keys part? Not really to my ear. 
Again if you don’t use that much in effects live just nail the groove the other stuff is all icing on top. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, krispn said:

I don’t use much live apart from eq, comp and some low gain and it sounds right with our band style - if you ‘need’ the effect fair enough but for the most part just play it cleanly and well and respect the groove and it’ll work. 
I listened to a podcast with Charlie Puth’s live bassist and he was on about his live tone for Attention and I immediately checked out the live track - bass sounded quite high end-y and not the great a bass sound. Did it blend with the keys part? Not really to my ear. 
Again if you don’t use that much in effects live just nail the groove the other stuff is all icing on top. 

Any clips of you playing either track? 

I’ve played them in rehearsal only looking for new tracks for our female singer to do. We do other songs where the original ‘main bass’ is synth. I just play a variation of the main synth lines with a bit of an interpretation of other parts in the song. Just Can’t Get Enough springs to mind.

In the choir gig it was the same. I was using eq, drive and comp as my only effects and it was more important to nail the feel than the exact part and generally it wasn’t as important but we did have a synth/keys player too. 

I suppose what I’m saying is if you’re in a band where you need to ‘nail’ exact tones then it become more important. If you’re trying make the songs fit in with the sound of your band then it’s good to work some classics to suit your (bands) style. 

I‘m aware of your reluctance to gig pedals and this makes it ‘fit for our band’ approach sometimes just makes sense.

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

This x 10, or maybe x 100

No ones going to notice your exact tone and which pup you're using, not even other people in the band.**

But if the feels wrong, absolutely everyone notices....

Or whether you're using a compressor or...or...I know, I know! With that comment you're definitely pushing at an open...

image.png.23144865e3d81ccc324f7a30c1e16643.png

It's just that on those two particular songs, that bass tone is lush (and I appreciate more likely to be a synth than an actual bass?) But I wouldn't mind being able to nail it on an actual bass with gear available to us.

@krispn I'm not averse to taking my HX Effects out on the road if there was particular reason for doing so - my only hesitation is the amount of gear I'm already responsible for, so it literally is about minimising hassle factor for me. I'm entirely sympathetic to the likes of @dave_bass5 who's similarly looking for cutting down load despite having some quality gear back at the ranch. Suspect we're not unique in this - it's a key reason I use a BF SC for rehearsals and gigs rather than take my significantly better Fearless F112 which weighs pretty much double.

But back to the plot: dunno if anyone has managed to come close to nailing the Charlie Puth / Dia Lupa bass tones? If so, please shout!

** except it's always not entirely true - P pup on my Yammy 5er entirely failed to cut through the mix on the low notes recently at a rehearsal; whereas the Nord bridge J on my Ibby did so effortlessly at the subsequent gig. Maybe need a change of strings on the Yammy, but the point here is that the band (in particular our drummer) very much noticed the positive difference and thought I'd been using a pedal to achieve it. Nope - it was just a change of bass, pup and pup position. 

Edited by Al Krow

Back to the plot...

If you wanna nail the Attention bass from this live version play with a pick and have a bright treble heavy tone (it really lacks any low end punch or meat) but like I said earlier Dmitry is playing on top of the synth so probably wants the bass to poke out a bit. Still sounds a bit meh compared to the recording but then that’s a keyboard patch trying to sound like a bass then heavily processed and layered.  Be harder to make the bass sound like a keyboard trying to sound like a bass than a decent phat bass tone and it might work better in a live band mix...

If you wanna provide the low end, phat version with your band it’ll be easier on a 5 string tone rolled back a bit and favour whatever pick up works with your lot. I’d keep it finger style, you could thumb it or slap it but finger style will be fine. Depending if you want that ‘swell’ type thing he has going on you could likely find an effect on the hxfx or use a pumping compression which might get you there - the comp would help with the part if you thumbed/slapped it but that’s your call. 

Like I say depends on what you want the bass to be doing in the context of your band’s sound , sound like the recording or favour a more treble forward/brighter pick sound.

Simples!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

Sounds like he's singing along to a vocal backing track, karaoke style! Agreed that the live bass version lacks the juiciness of the recorded version, which is kinda the sound I'd like to get to. But if Charlie's bassist with all the gear, sound engineering and awesome sound system available to the band at the gig couldn't get there, then I'm very probably being unrealistic in hoping to do so.

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

Our newest song its probably mid 90s !

Well in one of my bands it doesn't get much newer than mid 60s, with a couple of notable exceptions, but that's not an entirely a fair comparison - given that it's a rock n roll outfit 😁

I think my point was he’s not trying to - and doesn’t need to as they have all the gear as in synths. Again my earlier point just play the groove with a sound that works for your band. If a bright treble heavy picked sound doesn’t work in your band then...

4 minutes ago, krispn said:

I think my point was he’s not trying to - and doesn’t need to as they have all the gear as in synths. Again my earlier point just play the groove with a sound that works for your band. If a bright treble heavy picked sound doesn’t work in your band then...

Yeah but I think our goals are different here: I'd really like to get that sound as a core bass tone and not just for use on those two tracks - it would be a cool tone to use elsewhere.

Edited by Al Krow

Fair enough just trying to point you in the direction of a few example. 

Let us know how you get on with it and post a few settings on the relevant thread once you get close be that Future Impact Helix related or otherwise. I’m sure a lot of folk would be interested in a similar patch/setting/sound. 

Our band( 4 piece, drums, 2 guitars, bass) does a cover of Bad Guy and it went down really well at our last gig along with a version of Shutdown by Skepta. Our drummer has a sample pad which helps.

We are currently working on a Dance Monkey cover which again was a massive song which everyone seems to know and sounds surprisingly good with  “real” instruments.

Edited by Silky999

5 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Yeah, I can get relatively close to those bass sounds with normal gear.

Not far off - P bass / pick / old flat wounds / little bit of grit (but not much). Recorded the bass in my little home studio. Always chuffed when I hear it. Love flats and a pick :)

• Like 3