Why become a member? ×

NBD - Spector and Hair Growth Promoter Content

merello

Big thank to to the many on here who helped on my other thread. In the end, I bought a Spector Legend after a wee haggle with Kenny's Music in Glasgow. Very impressed with their service after my experience at Guitar Guitar where I went in to buy a bass they said had been sold when it hadn't - wee bit of insider trading? Anyway, went in to look at their Spector NT Walnut and it was a thing of beauty with a great neck. This being said, it had a small electrical issue and so I tried...

• Spector Legend Custom NT Walnut
  • Spector Legend Classic Tobacco Stain
  • Fender Player PF Precision in Silver
  • Fender Jazz Vintera in Gold

To be honest, the last three impressed me immediately. I was surprised at how much I liked the Vintera neck and the Precision sounded like a Precision! I eventually chose the Spector because it was more versatile, had a lovely growl when required and a tone boost. The cheaper price saved me at least £200 too and being stingy this helped.

Now, I usually get a No 1 or 2 haircut, but Spector provide some useful accessories including a cheap lead (don't bother Stuart!), some Allen Keys (have I lost them already?) and a haircut guide. According to their chart, I'm not allowed to play their bass in public until July. Hey ho!1510294767_Spector22.thumb.jpg.3ed191407326f3249dc1c00ac5b9866f.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Nice bass! Was the Spector Euro in the Glasgow store initially? It was in the Edinburgh store when I bought it online, it was shipped down to Newcastle the same day. I bought it early morning on Monday (3AMish) before going to bed and by the time I got up at 09:30 the page for the bass had been removed.

On 05/01/2020 at 12:41, Mastodon2 said:

Nice bass! Was the Spector Euro in the Glasgow store initially? It was in the Edinburgh store when I bought it online, it was shipped down to Newcastle the same day. I bought it early morning on Monday (3AMish) before going to bed and by the time I got up at 09:30 the page for the bass had been removed.

Just before Xmas there was a Euro at £999 in the Glasgow store. Was gone the next week. Stu on here is selling a beaut at £900 I think.

Edited by merello

Okay.....thoughts.

It came in a basic box with a small Allen key kit for the bridge and truss rod. No instructions but hey....but actually hey....could have done with info. Went online, not easy to find. So....

Today was the first day I got to blast it! Checked it was in tune. Went to the 13th fret and found that the E and A strings were perfectly intoned. D and G were wavering very slightly sharp...easily fixed. I never adjust an action until I’ve blasted the bass and it seems fine. If I get more time I’ll gradually adjust.

Then had great fun working out what each control did. All turned down then one by one tried out. Quickly identified the volume for each pickup and the overall tone. But what is this unknown knob for? (No....not Piers Morgan!) Wow! It seems to pump the tone! I wonder what it is called! 🤓

Anyway, gave it a good play, let a trusted musical child (I’m a teacher) give it a go so I could stand back and listen. Thoroughly enjoyed the sound. A great feel and growl from this versatile bass. Now I’m thinking, how good are the Euros?

In summary, this was £449. The kid above has just bought a new bass in the same price bracket and he was stroking his chin thinking of what could have been. Great value, versatile, almost set up excellently off the shop wall and it snapped and roared through a Hartke Kick Back (100w) to a greater degree than my Sub MM.

Well chuffed and definitely a keeper......until the next gas attack!

Thanks to all who offered advice. Now, with the money saved, which amp around the £200 to £30p mark?

Edited by merello
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, merello said:

... Anyway, gave it a good play, let a trusted musical child (I’m a teacher) give it a go so I could stand back and listen. Thoroughly enjoyed the sound. A great feel and growl from this versatile bass. Now I’m thinking, how good are the Euros?

Congrats! 

Oh dear on hitting exactly the same question I did a couple of months into owning my first Spector, also a Legend. It didn't end well for my wallet!