Why become a member? ×

Strangest gig in 2019

joeystrange

After seeing @TheRev’s post on the 2019 gigs thread about playing a decommissioned nuclear power plant I was wondering, where was the strangest place you played in 2019?

Mine would have to be Z-Bau in Nuremberg. Nothing especially strange about the actual venue until we found out that in its original guise it was the barracks of the SS training facility, right next to the Nuremberg rally grounds.

Wondering just what might have gone on in those bedrooms made sleeping there a bit difficult.

Nothing really strange. However we had one of those outside gigs " Wine On The Bridge" where the organizers knew nothing about band accomodations. I swear, they didn't even know we need electrical power. They provided a square piece of plywood so we didn't have to play on the grass.

Blue

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

However we had one of those outside gigs " Wine On The Bridge" where the organizers knew nothing about band accomodations. I swear, they didn't even know we need electrical power.

We were asked to play at an outdoor charity event a couple of summers back. The organiser was genuinely surprised that we would need electricity. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have true contender. The Beehive Pub near West Bromwich. It’s basically a time machine. An old stove burner, which had old table legs and heaps of pallet timber ready to burn. A back room that hasn’t been used since 1984. Several rusting cars out side. To cap it off,  everyone in the place was smoking. Including the kids. There was also a women dressed as pikachu. 
cant wait to go back. 

Edited by KingPrawn
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 04/01/2020 at 09:56, joeystrange said:

After seeing @TheRev’s post on the 2019 gigs thread about playing a decommissioned nuclear power plant I was wondering, where was the strangest place you played in 2019?

This was what greeted us after a 5 hour drive through 4 different countries across the flattest landscape I've ever seen. No hills for 5 hours, not a single one...

20190208_161134.jpg

• Like 3

I depped for a band playing at a museum last summer.

The band's PAT testing certificates had expired cos the guy responsible had had all sorts of family upheaval in the previous weeks and understandably forgot.

So the venue would only let us play on the condition we had fire extinguishers on the stage with us. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KingPrawn said:

I have true contender. The Beehive Pub near West Bromwich. It’s basically a time machine. An old stove burner, which had old table legs and heaps of pallet timber ready to burn. A back room that hasn’t been used since 1984. Several rusting cars out side. To cap it off,  everyone in the place was smoking. Including the kids. There was also a women dressed as pikachu. 
cant wait to go back. 

Just looked this place up and now want a gig there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My acoustic duo did a gig last summer in a country house rented for a weekend by the booker in West Yorkshire. It was a birthday celebration, and we played in a corner of a dining room for the whole evening, right next to a table with a total of 15 seated guests. First and second sets were whilst they were eating, and then we played a last set of uptempo stuff during which a few pushed back their chairs and got up to dance in the rather limited space available. Really nice people though, who just politely asked for requests every now and then. ( It was easier than the last gig for them , where we’d been asked to play Mexican stuff all night to go with their party theme! )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

( It was easier than the last gig for them , where we’d been asked to play Mexican stuff all night to go with their party theme! )

How many reworkings of La Bamba can one come up with at short notice...? OK there’s always La Cucaracha, but that’s just about it...

15 minutes ago, SICbass said:

How many reworkings of La Bamba can one come up with at short notice...? OK there’s always La Cucaracha, but that’s just about it...

To be fair, they had given us prior warning of the Mexican theme. La Bamba did feature (naturally) along with a few other traditional tunes, and we did use some artistic licence to include some ...err..related stuff such as Loco In Acapulco, El Paso, Santana tunes and then some Tex Mex stuff like Tequila etc. ( With apologies to any Mexican BC members)

OK, fair enough if you were warned. Your solution sounds very similar to what I would have come up with under those circumstances, which reminds me of a gig we did in 2018.

I live in Germany where there's a large Turkish community. We did a lookey-likey show Gala for a Turkish owned firm and we were doing a quiet dinner music set before the show-proper kicked off. As the doors opened one of the organisers turned to us and said, "Can you do a couple of Turkish tunes just to get things started?" We're always willing to be flexible and oblige where possible, but there we had to pass. I simply couldn't name you one traditional Turkish tune.