Why become a member? ×

Which cab.?

bubinga5

15 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

The Genz 212 - can’t remember the model number - was good when I heard it at the Herts Bash a few years back. Nice and light too.

NEOX 212T. Great cabs. Pop up secondhand on here for around £350-400. Early ones are carpetted, later ones tolex. I think they also moved from Eminence speakers to Faital Pros for the most recent ones.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I've just traded my Fearless F112 for a Berg CN212 and couldnt be happier. Cant really compare it to any other cab in this class because ive not got a lot of experience with this class of cab, other than a Epifani UL212 that i hated. 

Did you trade back with your normal gear dealer or did you just fancy a change?

I thought the F112 was meant to be a really great one cab solution? In saying that I have a great wee112 cab but just prefer the 212 as it feels/sounds better and if I can squeeze a 112 onto the stage I might as well bring the 212. It’s why amps have a volume control right but honestly it just seems to fill out the sound better with the 212 ime. Same for you or?

2 hours ago, krispn said:

Did you trade back with your normal gear dealer or did you just fancy a change?

I thought the F112 was meant to be a really great one cab solution? In saying that I have a great wee112 cab but just prefer the 212 as it feels/sounds better and if I can squeeze a 112 onto the stage I might as well bring the 212. It’s why amps have a volume control right but honestly it just seems to fill out the sound better with the 212 ime. Same for you or?

Yep, totally get that.

It's an amazing 1x12, but its still a 1x12. Ive gigged it twice. First time was a bit of a disaster as far as tone goes. It was never lacking volume as such, just voiced wrong for me. A lot of low end and upper clarity, but I couldn't find a good balance to give me a nicely voiced low/low mid. Because its a very clear cab i found i was playing at lower volumes than I normally do. Sounded great close up, always loud and punchy, but in all the recordings i made of rehearsals and gigs the bass was a bit quite at distances and didnt have the same punch and authority.  I tired different heads, and different EQ's settings but in the end i just felt a 1x12 just wasnt for me. I prefer a 2x12 for the same reason as you. I was getting there by the end, but it was a struggle going to such a clear cab. . 

With the more voiced CN212 it just seems to fill out the tone with a thickness that the F112 couldn't get. To my ears  (and the band) the CN212 fills gaps that the F112 left open. The F112 is deep sounding, and smoother up top, but these seem to overpower the lower mids. The CN212 doesnt have the extended low end, but this allows the low mids to be a bit clearer, which is what i wanted.

Ironically the CN212 is easier to carry as well. The F112 is lighter, but not by much, and it only has one handle. I live on the 3rd floor os a black of flats, with no lift.  That's a 6 flights of stairs each way, and then across the car park. The stage footprint isn't much different between the two, but the heft of a good 212 is defiantly missing in the F112. Less real low end, but no one really needs that, especially not on wooden stages. 

Ive been gigging for almost 30 years on and off, so I'm well aware some of this sounds like i didnt know what i was doing, but I'm simplifying my reply. 

As you know i got it off Bas. He also had a CN212. I tried my best with the F112 but i just couldn't get on with it. I traded it back for his CN212. He wanted the F112 and i needed something else. Both very happy. 

I'd agree a 212 just does more  - a lot of the super 112's are quite intoxicating on their own and I find in the right context hard to beat but many of the posts over the years when talking about a good 112 is that two are nearly always better than one.

I have a db Embee 112 I use for smaller stages and in the flat - it's 8ohm so just needs that extra volume to feel like it's keeping up which is totally fine and expected. With the 212 the additional speaker (more so than being 4ohm) always makes a difference. There are still a couple of venues we occasionally play where the 112 is better due to the wacky stage, and our drummers cajon/ drum pedals set up and as a bonus the fiddle players amp fits neatly on top!

If it works, it works!

31 minutes ago, krispn said:

If it works, it works!

Exactly. No matter how good something is, if its not working for you it doesn't matter how well its rated.

To be fair i felt the same about my BF BB2. Ive never said it wasn't a good cab, but it never worked for me in the same way the F112 didn't. Good, but not quite right. 

The F112 replaced a TC Electronics RS212. The F112 had a much better tone, but the RS212 cut it better at gigs. I guess a 212 is just better for me. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Exactly. No matter how good something is, if its not working for you it doesn't matter how well its rated.

To be fair i felt the same about my BF BB2. Ive never said it wasn't a good cab, but it never worked for me in the same way the F112 didn't. Good, but not quite right. 

The F112 replaced a TC Electronics RS212. The F112 had a much better tone, but the RS212 cut it better at gigs. I guess a 212 is just better for me. 

Yeah an equivalent quality 212 is going to beat a 112 every time in a band mix, IMO, and even in a quieter venue setting you can just turn the volume down!

That Berg 212 is a superb cab and completely deserves to be gigged, which it will now be getting, rather than just being there for home use. The Fearless F112 will, however, be perfect for home use for me and will also much more likely get gigged as there will be space for it and a RCF sub in the back of my car (boot already full with the rest of the PA!) So win win with this particular trade! 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That Berg 212 is a superb cab and completely deserves to be gigged, which it will now be getting, rather than just being there for home use. The Fearless F112 will, however, be perfect for home use for me and will also much more likely get gigged as there will be space for it and a RCF sub in the back of my car (boot already full with the rest of the PA!) So win win with this particular trade! 

Yep, and its getting this first gig tonight.  Last time at this venue i had the RS212 and no Gramma pad. Ive now dusted the Gramma pad off for tonight. Very boomy stage. 

10 hours ago, Merton said:

^^^ This! I have recently got a Shutttle  6.2 and really liking it a lot. I already owned the Genz Neox 212 (Mk2 model), which incidentally is my second one having majorly regretted selling the first, and I have to say it’s a match made in heaven.

1E695B6B-7A0E-48B0-A8FF-8FCA1700CB57.thumb.jpeg.49a09c5af53ad88488e5601b0b8d3ed1.jpeg

• Like 1

I have the genz benz neox 212 cab, tolex version with the faital-pro drivers....odd looking cab, but only 47lbs in weight, very well built(had a driver out as had to replace tweeter fuse) all plywood and well braced....and the cab sounds really good.