Why become a member? ×

How Many Gigs Last Year - 2019

Bilbo

Only about 30 - 35 last year. Didn’t think I’d be happy only doing those, but it’s actually a pretty good gig/work/home life balance. Makes a BIG difference not schlepping up and down the country for festivals and support slots. 😊

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Only about 30 - 35 last year. Didn’t think I’d be happy only doing those, but it’s actually a pretty good gig/work/home life balance. Makes a BIG difference not schlepping up and down the country for festivals and support slots. 😊

Supporting national and international acts is not as big of a deal for me as it used to be. We've supported Peter Frampton and Lover Boy recently and It didn't do much for me.

I prefer to play a club where a hundred people show up to see you specifically than to 2,000 people waiting to see Frampton.

Blue

2 hours ago, steantval said:

I assume the folks on here doing in excess of 100 gigs per year are actually pro and doing it for a living, surely you cannot hold down a normal day job with that amount of gigs.

Nope, I run a small pest control business too. The fact that I'm self employed and that I keep my day job super simple means that I can balance the two. The only issue for me is that the summer is the busiest time of year for both the band and the pest control business. 

I also have two children (5yr old and 3wk old).

45 gigs last year, which surprised me as at the beginning of the year it was really empty and I suspected it would be light.

Well, and also at the beginning of last year, I would have said I would be surprised if we were still going by new year.

Well, tell a lie, it is 45 gigs with my main band and 2 (free) gigs with my 'other' band that I joined at the beginning of the year as it was really empty and thought it might bring the count up. And I suppose technically, it did. By 2. Well, more 1.5.

The beginning of this year is really empty - looks at the calendar, only 15 in in there so far, so I suspect it might be light, and I will be surprised if we will still be going by next new year :D

But one thing that will be amazing, if the other group has more gigs than lineup changes!

4 hours ago, steantval said:

I assume the folks on here doing in excess of 100 gigs per year are actually pro and doing it for a living, surely you cannot hold down a normal day job with that amount of gigs.

I'm doing 65 gigs, however I'm retired or what I think you guys call a pensioner..

I actually would like to do more health permitting. 

Unfortunately all other band members have full time jobs.

Blue

jpeg-imag.jpg

• Like 1

Just had to check something in my last year's diary so had a quick look at gigs done - 130.

These mainly consisted of theatre gigs with the ELO tribute band and acoustic duo gigs ( private parties / pubs / cafes etc), along with some dep gigs and function / event stuff. Think this is probably roughly around the same amount as in 2018 too, so happy to still be here (or anywhere really...).

52 gigs done last year got about 35 booked in this year so far however we’ve deliberately left gaps to give us options to take on other stuff as we had to turn down some better work due to existing bookings 

We have been more selective this year and have decided we won’t give venues more than 2 dates 

We always take January off so enjoying a rest after an extremely busy end to the year 

I managed 37 this year, about half of which were my own solo gigs and the others depping with six other bands across the Midlands mostly.

That's combined with full-time work and parenting two primary school age kids (without any local relatives to help) tho, which is about as much as I can manage. 

Saying that I also like to make sure I keep time free to do family stuff together - the joy of depping means I can say no. 

Edited by bassbiscuits