Why become a member? ×

How Many Gigs Last Year - 2019

Bilbo

104 in total having played pretty much everywhere between Aberdeen and Salcombe. 102 of those were with my band (I only joined in jan) and 2 being deps. 2 were pub gigs and everything else was either a wedding or corporate event. 2020 looking equally busy.

Summer was utterly mental because I also run a little pest control business and i did just over 200 wasps nests whilst holding down regular contract work and up to 5 gigs a week on occasion. 

Edited by mrtcat

None ☹️   - for the first time since 1983

Not for lack of trying though. At the beginning of the year I was still in a band but despite my best efforts it fell apart. 

I have applied for a few positions but haven't even managed one audition. Three times I had them arranged then the existing bass player decided not to leave - the others either messed me around or never even bothered replying.

I did join the house band at a local buskers for a few weeks in the summer but got replaced by a previous incumbent who wanted to return - until 3 weeks later when he left again! I never went back.

Got two dep gigs lined up for this year so off to a better start. 

A total of 51 gigs for me in 2019, mostly with my main covers band but several dep gigs, including the NYE gig this year.

Being retired from full-time work, I'd be happy to do a few more in 2020.  The revival of a dormant blues band with a few gigs already booked, might mean a few more gigs this year. :)

Frank.

I did 123 according to the diary. Pretty sure there were a couple that were last minute calls that didn’t even need to go in the diary at all. Realistic figure probably just shy of 130. Everything from pub gigs and functions to tours and festivals abroad, I’d say around 90% of my work is UK theatres.

It’d be better without all the driving! 😂

3 hours ago, Higgie said:

It’d be better without all the driving! 😂

+1 

The most annoying thing for me is all the motorway closures in the early hours that lead to huge detours. Getting home before sunrise in the summer feels like quite an achievement sometimes. 

• Like 3

Just 18 in all for 2019

2 as a dep for covers bands

6 with Daz Kelly - acoustic blues in the style of Eric Bibb

10 with Diamond Bridges - originals only rock trio.

The year was a busy one musically though as Diamond Bridges wrote, recorded and released our first album. 

36 in total for 2019, 3 down on the previous year. I kid myself it averages out to 3 gigs a month. Almost! 

The bulk of the gigs were from a long term dep job I had that ended in September, August was very busy but December (when I should have made hay) was dire. All gigs were covers. NYE was a good gig at least. Oh, and a wedding gig in Sept with a band assembled for the day where I winged it on EUB for half the set, hopefully I got away with it; some nice wedding songs at that one rather than the usual play your standard set to the wedding guests.

Remarkably for me I had 2 bouts of recording work I got roped into, nice to have your head patted as I thought those days were long gone for me.

2020 looking sparse at present but I'm working on it....

Happy New year to all, 

Martin

• Like 1

I did only 3 last year , all deps for the guy who replaced the guy who replaced me in the band . 

3 wedding gigs over 2 weekends in August , and honestly , if I had realised what they had sold them for , I probably wouldn’t have done them! 

I like the lads mind and I wouldn’t want them embarrassed and sold up crapcreek 

My lowest in 20 years. I was establishing a new band which is a trio so plenty to work out with the drumming singing most of the songs. I did 3 acoustic gigs I think, and no dep gigs for the first time in ages.
I'd be happy with 10-15 gigs per year due to family life, needing to look after my health etc.

3 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

Around a dozen and absolutely intentionally - we all have jobs, other interests, some have families.  This project was always going to play 10-15 gigs a year and that's what we make sure happens.

This is our attitude too. I really like it as it means I look forward to every gig, filling the diary is pretty straightforward and we can cherry pick the venues that we like to play.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, steantval said:

I assume the folks on here doing in excess of 100 gigs per year are actually pro and doing it for a living, surely you cannot hold down a normal day job with that amount of gigs.

Correct. Music is all I do.

• Like 1