Why become a member? ×

Flea Dream vs Reality? A quandary

AndyTravis

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve not been playing much over Christmas, busy with visitors from Australia, kids, a poorly pair of grandmothers (one who actually passed away On the 2nd Jan) and just loads going on in my head.

i think I just got Bogged down in “do I need all this stuff...” territory.

Appreciate all the replies and thoughts.

think the fender Power Jazz selling has lifted the guilt complex a bit.

Sorry to hear all that Andy. I’ve had a few years of “loads of stuff going on in my head” and have experienced a few bereavements this year, so I sympathise. It’s easy to start to lose the plot when that happens (or it is for me, at least). 

Hope everything gets better for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, 4000 said:

Sorry to hear all that Andy. I’ve had a few years of “loads of stuff going on in my head” and have experienced a few bereavements this year, so I sympathise. It’s easy to start to lose the plot when that happens (or it is for me, at least). 

+1

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 4000 said:

⬆️ This.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Yup 100% this

• Thanks 1

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

All this talk of Modulus and we appeared to have summoned a nice Quantum in the for sale section 😀

The seller is a stand up guy, we discussed this bass (which is a stunner) and I elected to wait for a VJ to come up for sale...didn’t realise quantum’s were 35” on the 4 string too...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

All this talk of Modulus and we appeared to have summoned a nice Quantum in the for sale section 😀

Hmmm. So if I start a thread about a stingray 5 special in charcoal sparkle for £500 what are the chances......

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Mmm. I’m not sure what sort of incantation you’ll have to come up with to get one for £500 😉

Currently loving my stealth black classic ray, but I'm a tart for a bit of sparkle!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

The seller is a stand up guy, we discussed this bass (which is a stunner) and I elected to wait for a VJ to come up for sale...didn’t realise quantum’s were 35” on the 4 string too...

34" scale was an option on the Quantum 4 string. I believe it was free of charge but had to be specified. It was a paid option on the 5 and 6 string basses but I can't recall ever seeing a 34" Quantum 5 or 6. I'm sure there will be some out there. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yeah, you might be right actually. I think @Chiliwailer has first refusal to buy it back, but I think you’re next.

You’ve all got a loooong wait tho 😜

‘Think’? 
Don”t let me down buddy... the fact that you’re not selling it, and that I’m currently happy with just my Ray has absolutely nothing to do with it 🤣

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve not been playing much over Christmas, busy with visitors from Australia, kids, a poorly pair of grandmothers (one who actually passed away On the 2nd Jan) and just loads going on in my head.

i think I just got Bogged down in “do I need all this stuff...” territory.

Appreciate all the replies and thoughts.

think the fender Power Jazz selling has lifted the guilt complex a bit.

Sorry to hear that dude, And I totally know how you feel. When my mum passed away last year, I had the same feeling and wanted to get rid of a bunch of expensive equipment I had lying around not being used. I did get rid of some of it mainly guitars. To be honest I haven’t regretted it.

But I wouldn’t get rid of my dream bass. Hopefully you will find the joy in it very soon!

• Thanks 1

On 04/01/2020 at 10:59, Delberthot said:

More recently I have been struggling to get a proper P bass sound with my Player Precision and almost ended up selling it. I bought a cheap Behringer compressor sustainer and it has completely transformed the sound to the familiar, almost slightly overdriven sound that I know and love from all of those old Queen albums. This cheap, plastic £17 pedal is absolutely incredible and have it switched on all of the time with both my Jazz and Precision.

This has had me looking at ‘grindy’ compressors (I used to use an EBS Multicomp, but haven’t had it for years) and I’m liking the sound of the Fairfield Accountant. 

I would be hesitant to sell a lovely bass like the Flea at short notice, but if it's not doing it for you, there is little more that can be said. Suffice to say, I've always thought nice jazz basses were ten a penny but for something a bit more special, you have to sometimes go out on a limb and that can include taking a chance on buying a bass that you're not sure if you'll get on with. You could end up with something that gives an experience far beyond what a jazz bass could provide, or you could end up with more fodder for the classifieds. 

If you don't think your feelings are going to change any time soon, just flog it.  

21 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

I would be hesitant to sell a lovely bass like the Flea at short notice, but if it's not doing it for you, there is little more that can be said. Suffice to say, I've always thought nice jazz basses were ten a penny but for something a bit more special, you have to sometimes go out on a limb and that can include taking a chance on buying a bass that you're not sure if you'll get on with. You could end up with something that gives an experience far beyond what a jazz bass could provide, or you could end up with more fodder for the classifieds. 

If you don't think your feelings are going to change any time soon, just flog it.  

I suspect Andy has played and/or owned a LOT of instruments. And although I don’t really get on with Jazzes, there are many for whom a good Jazz is the answer to life, the Universe and everything, far more so than any boutiques. It’s all horses for courses at the end of the day, 

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

I suspect Andy has played and/or owned a LOT of instruments. And although I don’t really get on with Jazzes, there are many for whom a good Jazz is the answer to life, the Universe and everything, far more so than any boutiques. It’s all horses for courses at the end of the day, 

He’s not wrong, a few hundred owned. And played 1000’s. 12 years in a very busy Guitar/bass shop had it’s benefits.