Why become a member? ×

Flea Dream vs Reality? A quandary

AndyTravis

I’ve wanted a Modulus Flea for years. Have got one...

Then there was a thread about jazz basses not cutting through. I’ve had my 64 custom shop for years and it’s the love of my life other than Mrs T.

Listened to the recordings of rehearsals with my 64 CS and the rehearsals with the modulus...

Erm.

The Jazz sounds perfect. And the Modulus sounds cool, but you can hear I’m messing with the bass control a lot...

Well. I feel a bit stupid right now.

• Sad 1

There's no such thing as one ring to rule them all - different basses sound better in different rooms/mixes/bands. You've got two stunning basses, use the right one for the right circumstance and know you've got the other for a different situation.

• Like 2

I have had that experience with a Sandberg Jazz and another bass fitted with a Delano system. It sounded great at home but in the band I was continously messing with the controls. It the end I lost my objectivity and everything that I tried started to sound "wrong". Scince then I have used a Stingray, Bass Collection, ATK and now a Dimension and have never had a problem. It is your sound so if you aren't happy change it

In the end you want to be enjoying the moment not thinking about how to change your sound.

12 minutes ago, Beedster said:

No such thing as ‘reality’ when it comes to sound/tone Andy, how you feel in the moment changes everything. But hey, I’ve a nice ‘68 Jazz (with a ‘90 fretted neck also) if you want to offload that Flea :)

Pm’d

I’ve found this with very bass I’ve ever owned except my main one. I’m always tweaking. I wouldn’t worry too much about it.....unless you do actually want to get rid and it’s not just a wobble. 

I’d think very carefully though, as it wouldn’t be easy to replace if you decided you regretted selling. 

• Thanks 1

So. You tweak the bass, bit of treble here and there,  roll off some bass .. isn’t that what the knobs are for? I adjust mine nearly every song, it doesn’t make me want to sell it. Think yourself lucky it doesn’t  have a parametric eq 😂 

The reality is you have 2 awesome and very different basses . 

Don’t sell it. No rash decisions. You know you’ll regret it! 😉

That’s my 2 pence worth. 

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I know the feeling. Basses just can be experienced different in various situations. I like the sound of a jazz a lot, but actually isn't my favorite when recording. A Stingray per example does a great job for me when recording, while I like the sound less when rehearsing... 

Anyway, that modulus (in flake finish) is still one of my "must own once" list since I've seen the footage of the RHCP concert at the red Square in 1999. 

How many "basses I should never have sold" threads do we see?

Agree with other posters. Sure you could get by with one....but who wants to "get by"?

You have two great basses, they do slightly different things, so you can do slightly different projects with them.

I think that you can be perfectly happy with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a bass guitar. It's an asset you bought for cash and can easily turn back into cash for any purpose of your choosing. If you've got so much space and cash that you wouldn't feel guilty for letting it live in it's  case forever then keep it. If you think you'd feel better swapping it for something else then flip it.

Don't feel wedded to an instrument just because you wanted one for a long time. The pleasure of owning something you lusted after for so long will never truly overcome the fact it's not the right instrument for you. We've probably all been there.

There's instruments I talk about in "wish I'd never sold it" threads, but after getting close to 20 years of buying and selling instruments, I've never regretted selling something that just wasn't working as I needed it to. The only things I regret selling were good instruments that I sold to free cash up for other ventures which ultimately brought me less joy than the instrument I sold to fund them. 

• Like 3

Having a quiver of basses to choose from is certainly a nice thing and allows one to choose the ‘right’ bass for whatever situation you find yourself in. However, there is also something to be said for just having one that you know inside and out and are able to get what you need out of it, having ‘your sound’ there every time. I have 4 basses and often flit from one to another trying to find the one I’m most comfortable with, which I find irritating, that and continually looking at other basses, wondering if there is something I’m missing out on.

Good luck with your quest, I hope you make a decision you feel comfortable with, whatever that decision is, don’t look back - there be dragons!

• Haha 1

I'm probably in a minority but I'm not that keen on the early JB stacked knobs controls.  Much prefer the VVT arrangement, or V/T/4-way p/up switch arrangement as I spend much less time pratting round with settings this way.

The nice thing about the white jazz is that the pickups have a lovely warm sound, so I leave the tone control wide open all the time.

If I’m playing “slap” stuff, I use both pickups on full.

If I’m playing fingerstyle...roll the neck pickup back a bit.

Easy...

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1