Why become a member? ×

Squier Classic Vibe identification

Volt91

Hi all .

Just looking at buying a Squier Classic Vibe bass I saw for sale. I have a few reservations about it being an Affinity or similar though. Besides the serial number, what else would give it away? There are 2 pickups, precision and Jazz, all the ones I see pics of have just one precision pickup. It also says 'Squier precision bass' and 'Standard series' on the headstock. It has a rosewood fretboard.

Any ideas?

If I can get the serial number, what letters would you expect to see?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Sounds more like a squier vintage modified rather than a classic vibe. I don't recall there being any classic vibe pjs as they are based on old designs

This. There were no classic vibe range with both P and jazz pickups on one bass. As said by @Woodinblack it's either a Vintage modified or Affinity. A picture would help to easily identify?

Its looks a lot like a Squier PJ Special Sparkle  with a black pickguard, although the headstock writing is a bit different. Either way, it is not a Classic Vibe. Dont' think it is a vintage modified either.

Like this

https://reverb.com/uk/item/2274568-squier-p-bass-special-purple?locale=en-GB

There are two classic vibe P basses, a black 70s one, and a white 60s one (well, I suppose there is a 50s too, but it looks like a tele). All classic vibes are about bringing back something that is sort of accurate at the time, so they wouldn't have a PJ or anything that wasn't actually common in bygone years. 

There were two runs, the original and the current ones. The original chinese ones are excelent, the newer ones, I don't know, I haven't played although they are less sought after

Edited by Woodinblack

Hmmm. Seems like it could be one of those, thanks for taking time to post the info. Can I completely discount that it's an Affinity or similar low end models though? Is there anything that identifies them easily (apart from serial numbers)?

Edited by Volt91

Yes, the bass is not an Affinity, it is from the Standard range from very early 2000s, which quality wise is above the Affinity range, but below the newer Vintage modified and classic vibe ranges. 

It has a jazz neck on a P body, so a slim neck, which is why it is called Precision Special.

My girlfriend has one of these Standard Series in some kind of burgundy metallic type of colour. It's a very light, comfy bass with a thin neck, like a Jazz. It sounds pretty good stock, I've borrowed it a couple of times for gigs... pretty impressed with it.

• 2 years later...
On 03/01/2020 at 10:30, Volt91 said:

Hmmm. Seems like it could be one of those, thanks for taking time to post the info. Can I completely discount that it's an Affinity or similar low end models though? Is there anything that identifies them easily (apart from serial numbers)?

Easy way to spot an affinity is the logo. The 'squier' will be black, not gold, and the 'precision' or 'jazz' are shortened to just 'p' or 'j'. I think this changed very recently however.

• 2 weeks later...