Why become a member? ×

Jazz Inspired Custom 5

Chopthebass

I have been pretty happy with my Fender Elite 5 Jazz, but decided to create my own version to incorporate some custom touches. I am still deciding on electronics. Possible EMG or Nordy pickups.

Specs are

Aboyna burl over alder, with black veneer accent.

Flame maple neck, burl headstock, 35:" scale, Ebony fingerboard, MOP dots. Compound radius. Assymetric neck rear profile.

Bridge and tuners are Hipshot, 17.5mm spacing.

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

IMG_4262.JPG

IMG_4278.JPG

IMG_4279.JPG

IMG_4283.JPG

IMG_4261.JPG

• Like 7

WOW, that's a fabulous looking neck! It looks like the burl is a veneer, is that right?

What are those two things that look like string ferrules on the rear cover, are they 'easy access' trim pots for the electronics?

Beautiful looking bass.

3 hours ago, rubis said:

WOW, that's a fabulous looking neck! It looks like the burl is a veneer, is that right?

What are those two things that look like string ferrules on the rear cover, are they 'easy access' trim pots for the electronics?

Beautiful looking bass.

Thanks! Yes they are veneers front and back on the headstock.

On the cavity cover there is Aux in and headphone out. Rehearse anywhere! Plug your phone in and play. ! 

Here is a close up of the custom headphone amp. The regular jack on the side of the body will just turn on the preamp as normal, but if you just want to use headphones, plug them in to the mini jack and it  turns on the preamp and the headphone amp. So you still hear any preamp EQ adjustments.

IMG_4277.JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Don't do screws! Do threaded inserts.

I did think about that. And I may still do. I had bad success in the past as the inserts I tried were too coarse a thread.

I have some fine ones now. However I did try one in a scrap piece of maple, using the correct pilot drill size and it was getting too tight to screw all the way in.

3 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

Here is a close up of the custom headphone amp. The regular jack on the side of the body will just turn on the preamp as normal, but if you just want to use headphones, plug them in to the mini jack and it  turns on the preamp and the headphone amp. So you still hear any preamp EQ adjustments.

IMG_4277.JPG

Why is this not a more common feature?!  Makes complete sense!

17 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

I did think about that. And I may still do. I had bad success in the past as the inserts I tried were too coarse a thread.

I have some fine ones now. However I did try one in a scrap piece of maple, using the correct pilot drill size and it was getting too tight to screw all the way in.

At the bottom of page4 of my thread of scrumpymike's rascal conversion, there is detail how I go about it if it is of any help...

If you have a drill press you can mount a bit of hexagon bar the correct size for the hex in the insert in the chuck and screw it in by hand whilst keeping pressure on the insert by the spindle feed.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, the motor is most definitely off when doing this!

Edited by Si600
  • Haha 2