Why become a member? ×

70s Precision or older or not even real?

Muppet

Check this out. Part of me thinks something's not right here.  Neck stamp looks worn but could be ok (I think the lines are JUL)  headstock logo is subtly wrong, patent numbers aren't right but it's the wrong logo for the year, if the year is 72. Truss rod looks like it's had a repair. Serial number of neckplate dates to 62/63, bridge looks 60s. Tuners I'm not sure about. I asked the seller for better photos, neck pocket, pots and wiring, pickups etc but no response.

What do we think?  It could be a huge bargain but something tells me otherwise.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Precision-Bass-With-Case-Strap-original-covers-strings-PICK-ups-broken/324024695620

22 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I messaged the seller a few times with questions , and a neck pocket pic , the first time it was listed, but no reply  , and most 72s I’ve seen had the large logo .

Yeah I've had no reply either. Probably being intentionally vague with the hope of a bite. The logo is very wrong, but so are the tuners on that neck

2 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Probably being intentionally vague with the hope of a bite

I think you’re very right there,          I was going to buy it as a project but not really knowing what’s been done and no reply’s put me off , if it was closer I could have had a good look 

I’m still laughing at the asking price 

the neck could be from anywhere or any when 

my guess is 70s body and pups with badly faked replacement neck (not necessarily by this seller)

Edited by Geek99

1 hour ago, prowla said:

My guess is the original neck failed and this is a replacement.

The thing which I don't quite get is "and strings from the base shop london where the base would have been bought" - huh?

The pickups don't work, so it's a project.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Also, according to the patent numbers on the headstock, this is actually a Fender Jaguar guitar, not a Precision bass! :D

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Muppet said:

Yeah I looked them up too!! 

Thank God I'm not the only one who did that! :D

You know what they've done, right? The actual logo should have two rows of patent numbers. They've simply taken the bottom row, and hoped no one would look at the actual numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, prowla said:

The whole Fender used market is a minefield. 
Ironically this site bans the sale of the easiest brand to spot fakes. 

To be fair there doesn't appear to be many fakes that make it through unreported on here, we are pretty good at spotting a dodgy Fender, I had a look at this one over Christmas and thought it looked like a bitsa bass, I had picked up on the decal being wrong for a 72 bass but hadn't gone as far as the patent numbers!

1 hour ago, Roger2611 said:

To be fair there doesn't appear to be many fakes that make it through unreported on here, we are pretty good at spotting a dodgy Fender, I had a look at this one over Christmas and thought it looked like a bitsa bass, I had picked up on the decal being wrong for a 72 bass but hadn't gone as far as the patent numbers!

But it is so easy to put a Fender decal on anything.

17 hours ago, prowla said:

But it is so easy to put a Fender decal on anything.

I agree but 99% of "fake" Fender's will have glaring errors which is likely why we do tend to spot them pretty easily on here, although I am sure there will be some seriously good fakes that only a real expert will spot and that will slip through, even here, unnoticed.

Instruments like Fenders which are, at the end of the day just a collection of parts will always undergo changes during their lifetime, usually not for nefarious reasons, I have a 79 Olly white Precision which, as far as I am aware is 100% original with the exception of the black scratch plate which I swapped from my old 79 Precision to this bass, so mine is still a 79 Precision throughout but it is not 100% original anymore, I would mention that fact if I sold it but I doubt it would, or should, have an impact on its value?

This thread shows the value of this site in that the bass has been seen and flagged to anyone who watches the Ebay market place regularly and likes to check whether a bass is as described!