Why become a member? ×

Are Elixir’s worth it?!

Jaykingfunk

5 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

When I was dabbling with coated strings, I found the DRs coating didn't start coming off like the Elixir ones.

I'm gonna guess this was a while ago, because as I mentioned the earlier incarnations of Elixirs did shed. The new ones don't.

56 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I'm gonna guess this was a while ago, because as I mentioned the earlier incarnations of Elixirs did shed. The new ones don't.

Couple of years ago now - so not sure if I was before or after any change that may have happened.

16 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

You may want to try some DR coated. They coat their strings before winding. I believe Elixir coat their strings after winding. When I was dabbling with coated strings, I found the DRs coating didn't start coming off like the Elixir ones.

Ultimately, I settled on non coated and found my string of preference - DR Lo-Rider.

I have tried all the other coated strings but didn’t get on with them. To me, coating before winding basically means you’ve got an effectively dead string from the outset. Coating it after protects the string from anything infiltrating the windings. Elixir have patented the process so that’s why they’re the best imo. YMMV of course but DRs lasted about a month for me. 

On 15/01/2020 at 22:43, mrtcat said:

How do they fair if you use a pick?

There's an inevitability that the coating may come off, they last ages and as a pick player there's a short length around the bridge pickup that will deteriorate.

To be honest though, what they look like is unimportant; the longevity of the strings far outweighs the way they look.

4 hours ago, ped said:

I have tried all the other coated strings but didn’t get on with them. To me, coating before winding basically means you’ve got an effectively dead string from the outset. Coating it after protects the string from anything infiltrating the windings. Elixir have patented the process so that’s why they’re the best imo. YMMV of course but DRs lasted about a month for me. 

I have to say that the DR neons sound good and certainly not dead at all. Not super bright (much like elixirs) but definitely like new strings.

7 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

I have to say that the DR neons sound good and certainly not dead at all. Not super bright (much like elixirs) but definitely like new strings.

I'd concur, with regard to the DRs. OK, they are not Hi-beam bright.. but they are certainly bright as opposed to super bright. As you say, I never really dug on Elixirs because they didn't do the Hi-beam thing, but I wanted a tighter string than a Hi-beam which is why I eventually settled on Lo-riders (which is near enough damn it Hi-beam sounding).

I have a love/hate thing with them. I love them because they keep the same tone for about a year but I always find the E starts to die off first and end up buying a single E to keep the set equal in tone. 

I thought the problem was with uncoated strings that the E got full of gunk and eventually wouldn't ring properly but it appears not the case. Seems to be just ordinary metal fatigue making any string die, sweat or not. 

13 minutes ago, LITTLEWING said:

I have a love/hate thing with them. I love them because they keep the same tone for about a year but I always find the E starts to die off first and end up buying a single E to keep the set equal in tone. 

I thought the problem was with uncoated strings that the E got full of gunk and eventually wouldn't ring properly but it appears not the case. Seems to be just ordinary metal fatigue making any string die, sweat or not. 

Not something I’ve ever noticed, maybe it’s about how you rest on the string?

29 minutes ago, LITTLEWING said:

Story of my life. 

The E's always wear off too quickly. 

• Haha 1