Why become a member? ×

my ridiculous rig

EBS_freak

Looking good! I have an interest in this kind of a rig, so have you ever just used 2 2x10 cabs? If so how do you rate that set up for tone and volume?
Also have you ever used 3 2x10's? What were they like?

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='397795' date='Feb 2 2009, 12:58 PM']Looking good! I have an interest in this kind of a rig, so have you ever just used 2 2x10 cabs? If so how do you rate that set up for tone and volume?
Also have you ever used 3 2x10's? What were they like?[/quote]

Yup - I have regularly used 2 2x10s and they alone are sufficient for most gigs. The reason I wanted the extra cabs was to move the 3rd cab closer to my ears (I stack them 3 cabs high usually) and not so much for tonal reasons or volume reasons. The extra cabs obviously make things louder, but I see that as more headroom and a more controlled sound. The speakers aren't working as hard but shifting more air... it seems to give a more defined bottom end and the bottom B is astounding.

The 3 cabs stacked are significantly taller than the 6x10 cab with the third cab being just lower than my ear level. The 4th cab was bought for a spare to leave in the house for practice and for those stupid gigs where I can run the amp down to it's minimum load. The 2 2x10 and 3 2x10 are my preferred setups for most gigs.

I find the options available great... just take the number of cabs I need for a specific gig and I am away... but above everything, the cabs are in small, light, easy to manage units. If I did a gig with an 8x10 setup, I guarantee that by the end of the night I wouldn't be regretting it like the guy struggling to get the fridge in and out of the venue and into their vehicle...

I can get all of this and 3 basses in Hiscox cases in a VW Golf hatchback... with both front seats free... and I can load it all by myself. How many Ampeg fridge guys can do that without causing considerable damage to their gear of their car?

OK, it may not be the cheapest way of buying cabs... but it does give you a hell of a lot of options.

Edited by EBS_freak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='stonecoldbass' post='412111' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:06 PM']You should've gotten a quarter of a 15 inch speaker in the corner of each cab so that when you stick them all together you get a bonus speaker!
haha,
nice rig btw!
c[/quote]

Now, now... I shouldn't mix drivers ;)

Did my first gig with all 4 cabs the other day... it was a pretty big venue with no PA support so I thought I would give it a whirl. Jeez... ridiculously loud... and the amp was not breaking a sweat.

I loves it!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='MB1' post='425886' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:38 AM']MB1. :)
First thing that came to mind viewing your rig was.......Paul Hogan in Crocodile Dundee and the line!
..........."Thats Not a Knife!......This is a Knife!" :rolleyes:[/quote]

Classic line. Man, you make me want to watch that film again. Right now!

• 7 months later...

[quote name='metaltime' post='622283' date='Oct 10 2009, 09:43 AM']That seems like a good idea to me. I vote for the Win.[/quote]

It works for me. I've had it some time and I've had no need to change and have had no lustings after anything else... The only thing I am waiting for it for EBS to bring out a class D head with the TD650 sound so I can have an uber portable 1 cab set up!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='622348' date='Oct 10 2009, 11:33 AM']It works for me. I've had it some time and I've had no need to change and have had no lustings after anything else... The only thing I am waiting for it for EBS to bring out a class D head with the TD650 sound so I can have an uber portable 1 cab set up![/quote]

now that would be awesome......the my td 650 is just a little too bulky to fit nicely into my new car!!with the 4x10 an 2x10 cabs,light rig,2 basses and cable bag.