Why become a member? ×

Ews stormy bass drive

danbowskill

I dont know if it has a slight taste of the darkglass head in the sound that they are using? ...... But for my ears this little dirt pedal sounds marvellous, obviously as much as you can take from a YouTube demo

Edited by danbowskill

• 1 year later...

Well it's here and I just gave it a whirl.

I have only tried it with my Jazz (70s spacing, I think they sound amazing with distortion) and will give it a try on the MM and P bass later.

So far it's exactly what I was after. The gain control goes from basically a clean to full grit response with a lot of adjustment and musical options between. The tone control and EQ switch offer more tones - it sounds great cranked halfway, tone down a little for that fat grind and opening up the tone and backing off slightly puts you in djent territory. I was worried that the lack of a blend would be problem, having found that I needed one previously die to loss of bottom end. Glad to report that the low end is retained completely and the signature 'rasp' of the bass comes through the drive sound really nicely - I've actually never found that a blended sound works well in a mix so I'm happier to rely on 100% pure driven sound that retains the character of the instrument. 

All in all it feels like a superbly engineered pedal which is very cleverly designed with the bassist in mind. The frequency switch is subtle but does absolutely what you'd like it to - at first seeming to change the scoop slightly but becoming more apparent with adjustments to the tone control. Even at extreme settings I can still hear my bass and control the drive with adjusting my attack.

One thing I often find frustrating about overdrive/distortion pedals is how they often sound great on the low strings but lose their power going up the strings, sounding a bit thin and buzzy. This responds to the input so nicely that you can plus higher strings and adjust the drive by playing differently, and even when whacking them at full power you lose none of the weight and detail of the note.

Really happy with it - great service from Bass Direct and a great, well designed little pedal. It even came with a battery!! 

BTW I paid £100 and postage.

Cheers

ped

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, danbowskill said:

Sounds like a good one, thanks for reviewing it...  Definitely keen to give it a try. Was that the only one they had in stock?

They didn't say - they have some other EWS stuff on their site so I assume they're a stockist and may be able to get one for you if not. 

• Like 1