Why become a member? ×

Hi from Silly Suffolk

Stippy

Hi to all...

I've been into rock/metal/any other music all my life, tried the guitar(strange 6 string thingy type) a few times, couldn't get into it....suddenly realised after too many years that my interest was in the bottom end..

So at 53, decided to try it !!....bought an Ibanez SR300, as recommended as  a starter bass, and the rest is history...so only one question from me to all the pro's and previous learners..What's the best way to learn, please ??

Thanks People...

Edited by Stippy
  • Like 2

Worth finding a tutor who can also play guitar (with teeth clenched of course, he can throw up later after your lesson) then they can play along. Starting a tune with someone, and finishing at the same time, and it sounded okay, was a huge milestone for me as a solo learner 

• Like 1

Thanks, Geek99, I'm from inside the Big I !!..

You bring up a valid point, I can see the attraction of your experience, as it's was recommended to me to play with others as soon as possible, although on the other side of the coin, I was also told to get a tutor that teaches bass specifically as others tend to teach guitar with bass as a 'sideline' and maybe not as good....interesting...!

east Bergholt in my case 

No, you misunderstood me

a bass teacher who can ALSO play guitar, not JUST a guitar teacher who thinks he can play bass. It’s a state of mind. Guitards don’t get it. Alex James from blur said bass was like glue, holding music together. Guitards only know how to be laquer, not glue. It all falls apart without glue, laquer counts for little 

Yes, play with others, but only when you’ve got some confidence and the willingness to look critically at mistakes not just to beat yourself up for making them. 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

That was my point, probably didn't put it too well, apologies...you're  completely right about the glue thing, it's not fully appreciated what the back row boys do, also an odd part of the attraction too, as I've never been one to show off or feel the need to prance about. Happy in the background doing the real work !

Take your point on the playing also, probably won't be jumping on a stage anytime soon - I do have a friend who's 2 sons are in a death/thrash metal band, 1 play's bass so may be try to angle in on some of their practice sessions, at some point, although not particularly into the growly vocals type stuff ! It's not too technical either so may be a way to pick up some extra stuff !

I live in Suffolk.  I must a bin unlucky, all my bass teachers have been an expensive waste of time. Good bassists who are crap teachers, or live miles away. Quite a few online tutors are made of ticky tacky too.  Save yourself a ton of money and time and go to Mark Smith at Talking Bass net, or Scott Devine at Scott's Bass Lessons.  A good deal of their basic teaching is free, or can be sampled for free, and even the full on cost is less than you'd pay for a few round the corner lessons.  All you won't have is the real life presence of an interactive teacher.

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1

Welcome Stippy. I'm not quite sure what prompted Geek99's outburst, but it doesn't necessarily hold true for all guitar and bass teachers. Will Hessey from Ipswich and Mark Stuart from Felixstowe are both professional musicians and teachers who teach guitar and bass and would be good choices to get you started.

There's a weekly jam night on Thursdays in the Salutation, run by Martin Webb who also runs the drum shop, which tends to attract a range of capabilities. There have also been occasional beginners sessions or slow jams in places like the Kingfisher but they tend to be one-offs.

• Like 1

Hi Stippy as someone who got into this at age 49, I would recommend truefire.com.  Its really cheap for a year, much cheaper than teachers and you get lots of little 20 minutes lessons that have great videos and explanations and are a nice bite size.  Better than having a teacher because its at your pace so you're not wasting any cash.  I would go for the Stu Hamm beginner courses but then truefire have a path of beginners courses you can follow.

I would then add a real human lesson in once every 6 months to correct anything or help with specific problems like choice of beer to go with your new hobby.

Ive played about 30 gigs since Ive started and Im loving it.  I finally understand why Ive always loved certain songs and its down to great bass lines!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/01/2020 at 10:45, Stippy said:

Hi Pete,

Great info, thanks, will check out the tutors, I think it's the way to go, I just don't seem to make the time unless I have an appointment ! 

Not quite up to jamming yet but may sneak in under cover to get a preview...!

Do go along to Webby's jam even if you aren't ready to join in.  I helped him set this up many years back. It was always a very supportive atmosphere and it is a great way to network and meet other players of all abilities. 

Will Hessey is a good call. @pete.young do you know a guy Mick someone also in Felixstowe - he used to teach at The Guitar Shop when I had it, but I can't remember his surname. Few years ago now, mind you.

On 03/01/2020 at 12:22, pete.young said:

Welcome Stippy. I'm not quite sure what prompted Geek99's outburst, but it doesn't necessarily hold true for all guitar and bass teachers. Will Hessey from Ipswich and Mark Stuart from Felixstowe are both professional musicians and teachers who teach guitar and bass and would be good choices to get you started.

There's a weekly jam night on Thursdays in the Salutation, run by Martin Webb who also runs the drum shop, which tends to attract a range of capabilities. There have also been occasional beginners sessions or slow jams in places like the Kingfisher but they tend to be one-offs.

Not really an outburst - I think that’s a bit harsh. How many times on here have people railed about guitards who think they can play bass because it also has strings ?

EDIT I’ve added a qualification to my comment 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

On 07/01/2020 at 16:04, cgull said:

Hi Stippy as someone who got into this at age 49, I would recommend truefire.com.  Its really cheap for a year, much cheaper than teachers and you get lots of little 20 minutes lessons that have great videos and explanations and are a nice bite size.  Better than having a teacher because its at your pace so you're not wasting any cash.  I would go for the Stu Hamm beginner courses but then truefire have a path of beginners courses you can follow.

I would then add a real human lesson in once every 6 months to correct anything or help with specific problems like choice of beer to go with your new hobby.

Ive played about 30 gigs since Ive started and Im loving it.  I finally understand why Ive always loved certain songs and its down to great bass lines!

Plus one on Stu Hamm and starfire

On 02/01/2020 at 11:42, Stippy said:

Hi to all...

I've been into rock/metal/any other music all my life, tried the guitar(strange 6 string thingy type) a few times, couldn't get into it....suddenly realised after too many years that my interest was in the bottom end..

So at 53, decided to try it !!....bought an Ibanez SR300, as recommended as  a starter bass, and the rest is history...so only one question from me to all the pro's and previous learners..What's the best way to learn, please ??

Thanks People...

Howdy Partner!

Welcome to the melting pot... :crigon_04:

“The one spot stop to shop for all your Bass related needs!!"

You'll find countless “Low End Aficionados" residing here within, all of whom are eager and keen to share their expertise, advice and experiences... (whether you ask for it or not! xD)

Good choice with the SR300, I would recommend them as a starter instrument to the world of Bass!  They have an ergonomic neck and their weight is very manageable.  They also provide a very pleasing tone for an instrument in their price range :i-m_so_happy:

If you are keen on the Ibanez SR series and wish to eventually upgrade you are likely to find more “premium" models being advertised at very appealing prices in the “treasure trove" marketplace of this very site!  But be warned, there are A LOT of incredibly tempting instruments and gear available on Basschat so be prepared to contract GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)... I recommend having your inoculations before visiting the Basschat Marketplace or at least be ready to have a very cold shower after viewing said forum...

In regards to “learning the Bass", I find that an openness and willingness to listen to multiple genres of music can be very inspiring and insightful.  However, I don't recommend listening to multiple genres all at once as this could turn out quite cacophonous... Though it did work for jazz...  :scratch_one-s_head:

Once you've found a few Bass lines that “tickle your pickle" start learning them and play along with the track, maybe even ad-lib when and where you can...

As long as you keep it varied and more importantly enjoyable, you will start to learn fast and learn well...

Also, check out other BC'ers comments on technique and practise... You will find many useful Bass related hints and tips scattered amongst the pages of this glorious site...  

All the best for your journey on the Low End!!

:sun_bespectacled:

On 02/01/2020 at 14:10, Stippy said:

Thanks, Frank, if you could give me his/her number, that would be great...not quite ready to take the plunge but will certainly be looking to start soon....

The quicker you do it the quicker you will realise that it’s no big deal, just loads of fun.

On 13/01/2020 at 18:03, Ted Theodore Logan, III said:

In regards to “learning the Bass", I find that an openness and willingness to listen to multiple genres of music can be very inspiring and insightful.  However, I don't recommend listening to multiple genres all at once as this could turn out quite cacophonous... Though it did work for jazz...  :scratch_one-s_head:

Love the jazz bit, never quite worked it out..always wondered why the musicians all play a different song at once...

Too late for not contracting GAS..got the SR300 as it was recommended as a starter but was toying with a Jazz bass at the time, still keep looking at them! - Geddy fan so a jazz and his Tech 21 pedal keeps calling..!

BUT I MUST LEARN TO PLAY FIRST !..did the same when I started Clay Shooting - "all the gear, no idea" but caught up on that one..hoping to do the same with this..

Trying to learn a few basic lines to keep the interest, Every Day by Steve Hackett at the mo, doesn't seem to be too and love the song..

Addictive, wish I'd started years ago ! 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Stippy said:

Addictive, wish I'd started years ago ! 

I think someone mentioned above.

Reward yourself with an upgrade when you've achieved something significant with your current bass.  I only bought my first pedal last year.  I played a bit in the eighties and then took it back up less than ten years ago.

You'll be fine.