Why become a member? ×

Playing in Church.

Sardonicus

30 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I've been to @Owen's church. What you need to appreciate is that half the congregation sing the songs in English, and the other half in Welsh, at the same time. Now while this makes for an awesome sound in the sanctuary,  it must be a nightmare for the musicians who also have to play in two languages at the same time.

Suggesting @Owen should keep the bass he has that speaks both fretless language and fretted dialect with a very quick turnaround?

• Haha 1

One of the things I love about playing in church is the randomness of everything, on Sunday I played bass and sang lead vocal for three songs, at the end of the service I switched to acoustic guitar and performed a duet with an 80 year old Columbian woman that had expressed the desire to sing with me, she stands at 4'5" and I'm 6'3", we sang `Holy Are You Lord' and whilst she knew the words and can sing in key, she had no idea of timing.......and I mean NO IDEA !!!

By the time I had got to the end of line 2, she was already singing the start of line 4 so I had to stop singing and concentrate on my playing, to adjust it so it fitted with where she was in the song.  I then realised that she wasn't even in time with herself and wasn't actually singing at one consistent speed.

At the end, someone described it as "the funniest thing they had ever seen".

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

• 4 weeks later...

The weekend approaches, as does our traditional Sunday Morning (afternoon?) time for playing.   

Are we all still playing? Have we seen an increase in the size of the band, and congregation, as lockdown draws to an end? 

For me, I am feeling a little burnt out.  However, we have been blessed by a new guitarist with huge experience and I am hopeful that this will reboot my enthusiasm and drive.

However, I have reached the point where I no longer feel that I can play at funerals and memorial services - I find the emotion too great, and it is a difficult way to spend a day off of work.   I nevertheless want to support those who have suffered loss, and am struggling to reconcile my own needs (for a nice day off), with the desire to support friends.   

I understand completely what you mean about funerals. I work from home, can flex my time, and live close to the church, so I am first call for sound and livestream duties for mid-week funerals. Too many last year and it does get draining, I certainly couldn't play repeatedly at them.

I'm now less burned out than I was. We have stable tech across the board, almost enough trained people to run it, and the band I do FOH sound for wants me to play bass. I can hand FOH duties to the person who first taught me the ropes and actually play  regularly. Last week I was actually happy with my playing on 4/5 songs! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

The weekend approaches, as does our traditional Sunday Morning (afternoon?) time for playing.   

Are we all still playing? Have we seen an increase in the size of the band, and congregation, as lockdown draws to an end? 

For me, I am feeling a little burnt out.  However, we have been blessed by a new guitarist with huge experience and I am hopeful that this will reboot my enthusiasm and drive.

However, I have reached the point where I no longer feel that I can play at funerals and memorial services - I find the emotion too great, and it is a difficult way to spend a day off of work.   I nevertheless want to support those who have suffered loss, and am struggling to reconcile my own needs (for a nice day off), with the desire to support friends.   

Take a break for a bit. 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2022 at 16:48, LukeFRC said:

Take a break for a bit. 

On the day, I was okay.  In fact, it went rather well.  No midweek rehearsal, just three musicians (drums, bass and keys or guitar) and three vocalists.  Some songs were different in the service than in the pre-service run through, but we seemed to adapt to the new style very quickly (after one bar of hearing the guitarist's strumming pattern).

Listening back to a recording of one of the songs, I found myself rather liking the riff that ran through the chorus (and then realising that it was me who had played it...).

Onto next week, and we have been asked to play this by someone in the congregation who seems to quite like it . . .  

It feels pretty much driven by the bass (double-stopped with some 10ths and minor 10ths) and the drums - high-hat especially plus Hammond organ, minimal acoustic guitar, and a huge drum and bass sound for the chorus.

I know what I will be practicing tonight (and in the 80 minutes prior to the Sunday service)!

Any advice?  In particular, is there any chorus effect on the bass?

On 15/02/2022 at 18:21, bass_dinger said:

On the day, I was okay.  In fact, it went rather well.  No midweek rehearsal, just three musicians (drums, bass and keys or guitar) and three vocalists.  Some songs were different in the service than in the pre-service run through, but we seemed to adapt to the new style very quickly (after one bar of hearing the guitarist's strumming pattern).

Listening back to a recording of one of the songs, I found myself rather liking the riff that ran through the chorus (and then realising that it was me who had played it...).

Onto next week, and we have been asked to play this by someone in the congregation who seems to quite like it . . .  

It feels pretty much driven by the bass (double-stopped with some 10ths and minor 10ths) and the drums - high-hat especially plus Hammond organ, minimal acoustic guitar, and a huge drum and bass sound for the chorus.

I know what I will be practicing tonight (and in the 80 minutes prior to the Sunday service)!

Played it many times. No need for bass chorus if you don’t want. Key is you and the drummer setting a good bouncy groove and that carries the song pretty much. Last time we played it the song kinda transformed into a S African/Paul Simon’s Graceland kinda feel… very nice!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

Played it many times. No need for bass chorus if you don’t want. Key is you and the drummer setting a good bouncy groove and that carries the song pretty much. Last time we played it the song kinda transformed into a S African/Paul Simon’s Graceland kinda feel… very nice!

You mean you went all Abe Laboriel on it? 😁

• Like 1

I played at two interesting services this morning - one at 09.30 and again at 11.00.  Stormy weather conditions, covid and school holidays meant that some band members were absent, leaving only three of us to carry the music.  We had the pastor's wife on vocals, a young (20 something) lady on flute and me on bass.  Another female vocalist came to the rescue and pastor's teenage son (still at secondary school) tried his hand on cajon for the first time.  We did three songs to the depleted congregations of about 35 people for each service.  I just kept things simple - hitting the root notes on the beat and trying to stay in time with the cajon.  The young lad did very well.

It did sound a bit empty at the early morning run through but once the congregations joined it it didn't feel so thin.  I played the intro for the final song, "Your Word" by EMU music.  When I say intro I mean the first three chord root notes - F# D A.  The cajon joined in for a repeat then everyone started the first verse.  It was fun but a bit nerve racking to keep every thing together.

I had to smile when thinking of those American "mega churches" that have more people on stage than most UK churches would have in their congregations.  We lacked the numbers but we still made a joyful noise to the Lord!

• Like 3

On 15/02/2022 at 18:21, bass_dinger said:

We do a reggae version of Trading My Sorrows (at practices only). We can’t play reggae, so it must sound dreadful. But it’s still great fun!

14 hours ago, Tokalo said:

We do a reggae version of Trading My Sorrows (at practices only). We can’t play reggae, so it must sound dreadful. But it’s still great fun!

Try it in a service, last Christmas we played a reggae version of Silent Night, it went down so well that we were asked to play it again the following Sunday.  It breathes new life into old favourites, it keeps us musicians challenged and it makes for a very happy congregation.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sardonicus said:

Try it in a service, last Christmas we played a reggae version of Silent Night, it went down so well that we were asked to play it again the following Sunday.  It breathes new life into old favourites, it keeps us musicians challenged and it makes for a very happy congregation.

We have a white-majority band, and a perhaps 30 per cent of the congregation is black.  So, it would have felt inauthentic to do a reggae version of anything in the service.   However, we did mess about one rehearsal and came up with a pretty convincing version of "Your Love Never Fails".

I would like to try it in the service one day - perhaps during Black History Month, play songs in the style of reggae, or Motown.

Oooh - and, and for Fathers Day, some AOR-style songs.  

We do try to mix it up - a lot of the Rend Collective songs end up sound like bad bluegrass music, so, we try to use different styles. 

The only thing that we fail on is old hymns - it always has to have some funky beat under it, even though the people for whom we are playing it do not necessarily want that.   

• 2 weeks later...

It's great to see that stupidity hasn't disappeared from my church, this Sunday was supposed to be my week off but I was asked by the other guitarist if I could play guitar because "he only wants to sing".  I alternate between guitar/backing vocals, guitar/lead vocals, bass/lead vocals and bass/lead vocals and I just suck it up and do what's required, no prima-donna antics from me I'll have you know.

I am unable to attend tomorrow night's rehearsal as I had already made plans that I can't cancel (it was supposed to be my week off after all), and bearing this in mind, the other person decided to leave it until 2am Thursday morning to announce the songs and has said that he wants to do a medley of different sections from 5 different songs....3 of which I have never heard before.  The bloke's a wa**ker!

39 minutes ago, Sardonicus said:

It's great to see that stupidity hasn't disappeared from my church, this Sunday was supposed to be my week off but I was asked by the other guitarist if I could play guitar because "he only wants to sing".  I alternate between guitar/backing vocals, guitar/lead vocals, bass/lead vocals and bass/lead vocals and I just suck it up and do what's required, no prima-donna antics from me I'll have you know.

I am unable to attend tomorrow night's rehearsal as I had already made plans that I can't cancel (it was supposed to be my week off after all), and bearing this in mind, the other person decided to leave it until 2am Thursday morning to announce the songs and has said that he wants to do a medley of different sections from 5 different songs....3 of which I have never heard before.  The bloke's a wa**ker!

Oh mate, that’s frustrating. Perhaps it’s time to let your “No” be “no”? It’s the only way people learn to respect boundaries.

I once sat down with a pastor and his assistant to explain that I wanted to take time out from music in church as I was tired and had a lot going on at home and a responsible job that demanded my time.

They we’re very good and sympathetic and supported the decision.

2 weeks later I was approached with “I know you’ve stepped down, but can you do the worship this week?” Along with a pastors wife telling me off for stepping down as I obviously didn’t know the importance of “my calling”.

Church can be a wonderful place of joy, support and friendship. But man alive! Boundaries? What are those? 

Hope you are able to say something to help protect your space, it’s important. Otherwise you’ll become a grumpy old cynic like me 🙄😂

• Like 1

Ouch! On both counts. I wouldn't play on Sunday @Sardonicus, politely decline as you have made other plans. @oldslapper- tell the minister's wife that your calling requires that you take a sabatical as you've been doing this over seven years. Preferably a paid sabatical like ministers have.

I've been very fortunate in that the vicar in the church where I became a Christian gave me very sound advice 30+ years ago: 

"The order of priority is: God, Spouse, Dependent Children, Everything Else. 

Church is not the same as God.

The order within Everything Else will change and vary over time, but if pushed then family and paid employment have to take precedence over church activities"

I've made that position quite clear ever since and while I will happily work my socks off to keep things running I have also stepped down and let things fail when necessary.

• Like 3

@oldslapper @Richard R I agree with you both, I too was told that the order of priority is God, then Family and then Church and, I agree that Church is not the same as God.

Most people play 1 Sunday each month, I play 3 and I pick the songs also, even then I get drafted in on my week's off.

I have already had a chat with my Pastor and he agreed with me to reduce my Sundays so I have managed to take control early on.  It's getting close to the point to where my Wife is getting resentful to me being on the Worship Team and I don't want that because if pushed to choose between the two, she'll win every time.

Another factor in my favour is that I'm being mentored for preaching in the near future and I know that they'll want me at the top of my game for that.

A good thing I’ve used for in the past is divide your time up between times you are giving (playing, preaching, making the teas and coffees, whatever) and times you go to receive, worship, and erm sabbath on your sabbath … both are important. 50/50 is about the maximum healthy I think - 66/33 is possibly but starts to get draining