Why become a member? ×

Helix GAS conundrum

Davebassics

I've been following and contributing the the Helix owners, tricks and tips thread but I don't want to distract from that conversation so I have started a new thread. 17 hours ago I posted this:

17 hours ago, Davebassics said:

I'm leaning towards stomp having read through about 10,000 posts over the past few days! I'd want the amp sims and I don't have an over reliance on effects. Will come in useful when I need to put noodle song ideas down on the guitar.

I've slept on it. I am leaning towards the effects again. The real estate means I can get away with replacing my entire pedal board (providing that the octaver is a suitable replacement for my OC2). I could still do that with the Stomp but I would need expansion pedals which defeats the point of a "all in one" solution. The lack amp/cab sim options on the effects is a pain. I am not always going to have an amp with me. I do a lot of bedroom/DI/studio playing. The lack of headphone output on the effects can be worked around having read the manual. 

The full fat options are not an option for me. Out of budget given I do not rely that heavily on switching effects, I more need the utilities of splitting signals, simming fixed tones, general tonal versatility etc. I'm also not gigging at this present time. 

So I think I am at the conclusion that neither the Stomp or Effects has the full feature set I need to replace my pedal board. They both come shockingly close. My options are:

• Effects: live without amp/cab sims. Trial to see if the preamps/IR are enough for me on that front, won't be as flexible as the stomp. Would be able to get rid of my pedal board if I can find enough flexibility without amp/cab sims. There is an element of future proofing with the effects. Line6 may add amp/cab sims in the future. If I did go in a different musical direction, the real estate would certainly help/it would be fun to play with.
  • Stomp: Keep OC2 and probably Muff on my pedal board in front of the stomp as to make up for lack of real estate on the stomp. I would be able to remove from my pedal board: 2 sansamps, headphone amp, tuner. I could live with it a while and see if a tuner/octave/drive footswitches would work for me and replace the pedal board fully. No room to move if I want to do more. Would end up with a pedal board to accommodate expansion pedals etc.

From a R&D/Manufacturing point of view, it would make so much sense for line6 to give the stomp/effects the same DSP capabilities with different control hardware. This would likely mean bumping the price up of the effects as the real estate then becomes the USP. I see why they are not putting amp/cab sims in from a commercial point of view. It would likely cut heavily into LT sales but it would still have its place in the line.

We should have a counselling service on bass chat. We need a team of qualified GAS councillors to guide us through bass lifes hard decisions. If only I spent as much time practising my playing .....

I am leaning back towards the stomp.

No real questions, just looking for someone to tell me what to do!

Keep your OC2.... is all I have to add. The Helix is very good, but my LT still does not match my pedals wrt Octaver, Synths and some Drive pedals (some are great on Helix btw, but I have a specific requirement).

I have owned or own ALL Helix models, none covered 100% standalone. But that was for my specific setup and needs, I know others are perfectly happy with just a Helix.

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 2

Unless you have a particular amp/cab sound that you like and the Helix nails it convincingly, you don’t really need any of the amp and cab sims. In real life an amp and cab are just devices designed to make you bass loud, and any “sound” they have is generally unintentional. 

The vast majority of my bass patches don’t use and amp or cab sims - just a suitable EQ module - and those that do the amp was selected primarily for its drive sound and is used simply as an effect. 

However for guitar and Bass VI use the amp models are somewhat more important, although if I had to I am sure I could get away with careful EQ and overdrive/distortion module selection.

I've got the rack and foot controller. If It broke, I'd get another or the full fat floor.

I never use a real amp in the house, just Helix into a Yamaha HS7 monitor (Or on my PC, Helix Native into a pair of HS7)

I'm not gigging Helix at the moment as I'm playing in a Big Band and a small head and cab is all I need for that gig. Can't be arsed to move a rack for that!

The full units, Floor / Rack , LT are quite expensive but never have I had a bit of kit for so long that I've never thought about selling. I got mine in April 2016.

3 hours ago, HazBeen said:

Keep your OC2.... is all I have to add. The Helix is very good, but my LT still does not match my pedals wrt Octaver, Synths and some Drive pedals (some are great on Helix btw, but I have a specific requirement).

I have owned or own ALL Helix models, none covered 100% standalone. But that was for my specific setup and needs, I know others are perfectly happy with just a Helix.

This. Whether you go Stomp or Effects, you’ll want o keep your dedicated octave and synth pedals.

17 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Wait for the Fractal FM3 to come out and see if that suits with or without the FC6 controller.

That has the same processing power as the Axe FX3 but in a small box 

Tiny little detail I missed, I have a milestone birthday 😫 coming up in the next month so cashing in on that for a helix!

21 hours ago, CameronJ said:

This. Whether you go Stomp or Effects, you’ll want o keep your dedicated octave and synth pedals.

It's only the OC-2 but still, if I can't replace my pedal board fully, then stomp has the better feature set for me and takes up less real estate. The only other effects that I switch on/off is the muff and sansamp, both at the same time. Muff for drive and sansamp for shaping. other than that, I'm pretty static. The stomp would be useful for compression, and a base tone shape and reverb for the fretless but non of them would require and switch in normal operation. The stomp would be a much more elegant/versatile solution than my sansamp VT, TU-2 and headphone amp and would add a few utility effects/controls I am missing.

Having been leaning towards the effects for a few days, I am leaning back towards the stomp again. I think it is just going to come down to whatever I feel is right when they are in front of me in the shop.

Consider used? I picked up a used Helix floor to give it a proper try and with the expectation I can sell it on for pretty much what I paid if I don't like it.

Impressions are that a few of my effects will be coming up for sale, and maybe an amp or two...

P.

25 minutes ago, cattytown said:

Consider used? I picked up a used Helix floor to give it a proper try and with the expectation I can sell it on for pretty much what I paid if I don't like it.

Impressions are that a few of my effects will be coming up for sale, and maybe an amp or two...

P.

I would consider used. They seem to hold their value pretty well. I'll be getting rid of at least 4 pedals, regardless of which route I go down. Money from them will make up for the john east J retro deluxe i impulse bought this morning!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1