Why become a member? ×

Zoom B2/B2.1u users

Alun

• 2 weeks later...

Hi B2.1u experts ....

I've been struggling and making do but as I seem to have sorted my natural bass sound out now I really want the Zoomeroonie to do a few specific things that I've failed to get so far.

Can any of you post specific settings to achive these stomp box emulations? Every setting I currently have seems to be something with something else ... like fuzz+ wah + reverb or distortion with flanger

An octave pedal like a Boss OC2 (one octave down only)
A funk wah like a Dr Q
A Wah wah
A flanger
A distortion/fuzz like on "dance to the music" I'm gonna add some bottom .....
Apart from the wah wah I need the pedal to be a volume control ..

Ta!

OG

The best advice would be to read the manual but.....

Now that you have your "natural" bass sound, copy that patch to a number of other patches. Do this by pressing "save" (or whatever it is) once, then change the patch number, then press save again.

Now you have a few patches that all sound the same with no effects on them. For the Octave, turn the far left knob to the synth module, then select the harmonizer or whatever it's called, then use the knobs to adjust the level of the octave and the level of your dry effect. Then press save, twice. Done!

It's all that simple really. What is a little difficult is the 2 char display. It means you really have to read the manual or that little chart that comes with it so that you know which codes refer to which effect.

To change the expression pedal assignment you have to turn the module knob (far left) all the way clockwise and then change the setting. If you've selected pedal wah it could be set automatically, but you might have to set it manually.

If you have specific problems I could maybe offer more specific advice...?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='399836' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:57 AM']The best advice would be to read the manual but.....

Now that you have your "natural" bass sound, copy that patch to a number of other patches. Do this by pressing "save" (or whatever it is) once, then change the patch number, then press save again.

Now you have a few patches that all sound the same with no effects on them. For the Octave, turn the far left knob to the synth module, then select the harmonizer or whatever it's called, then use the knobs to adjust the level of the octave and the level of your dry effect. Then press save, twice. Done!

It's all that simple really. What is a little difficult is the 2 char display. It means you really have to read the manual or that little chart that comes with it so that you know which codes refer to which effect.

To change the expression pedal assignment you have to turn the module knob (far left) all the way clockwise and then change the setting. If you've selected pedal wah it could be set automatically, but you might have to set it manually.

If you have specific problems I could maybe offer more specific advice...?[/quote]

Hey cheers Tom, Well I have this bathroom to decorate .... ;)

Oh you mean on the Zoom?
I've RTFM'd for several hours and on several ocasions (I clearly need a 8 year old to read it for me as it's "technology" ...)
I guess the main problem I have is finding neutral.

The "my natural sound" to which I refered erlier is with the Zoom bypassed ...(and my TE compressor and Weapin' Demon fuzz wah )
So what I want the zoom to do is just add a single effect per patch so octave, wah, flange etc like a single effect stomp box ..
I don't seem to be able to turn everything off to start with ...

Cheers,
OG

Aaaaah, I see. You have to go through each module using the knob on the far left, and turn them off by pressing the two little switch buttons (can't remember the name for them) at the same time. When you have all modules off you should have a 100% clean sound to work with.

EDIT: If it were up to me there would be a "clear patch" function on there so you could create a 100% clean patch quickly, but going through the modules isn't so bad, and once you have one clean patch, just copy it to loads of others.

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' post='400126' date='Feb 4 2009, 04:17 PM']Aaaaah, I see. You have to go through each module using the knob on the far left, and turn them off by pressing the two little switch buttons (can't remember the name for them) at the same time. When you have all modules off you should have a 100% clean sound to work with.

EDIT: If it were up to me there would be a "clear patch" function on there so you could create a 100% clean patch quickly, but going through the modules isn't so bad, and once you have one clean patch, just copy it to loads of others.[/quote]

Ok ta
I'll have a go ..

So .. Phil Lynot on Dancin' in the moonlight intro? Flanger, phaser or chorus?
;)

Edited by OldGit

Sounds like a chorus but could be a sublte phaser. Chorus and flange are basically the same thing, and you can make all three sound like each other. I don't think there's many modulation options on the zoom to go through so it shouldn't take too long. I'd get mine out and try to make it so I can tell you the exact patch but i'm a bit too busy sorry! I'm sure another nice Zoom owner wouldn't mind.....

Had another go with the manual and zoom last night and I found out how to erase all to get a blank canvas ... also how to toggle an effect type in and out whilst editing (hit the foot button)
That was an eye/ear opener as it allowed me to isolate each effect type from a patch and hear what each was contributing to the overall sound in a patch ...
Also, with Tom's assistance, how to get that "stomp box single effect" thing going.
I can't get the Wah-Wah to work the way I want it to but I have the Weeping Demon anyway so that's not a problem.

We will see how it goes on Saturday night ;)

Thanks

[quote name='Geek99' post='401763' date='Feb 6 2009, 09:07 AM']OldGit, can you tell me how you erase a whole patch in one go? I've not found that in the manual.

PaulCooke, I'll give your patch a go soon, I printed it out. I recommend "Stingray" to you.[/quote]

I'm going to try the wah one, though it's got other stuff in it ... I think the man problem is the limited variation between up and down on the pedal.

To make a blank patch:
Have a look at P14 .. section 2 says "To switch an effect on and off"
So, using the Effect [b]Module[/b] selector go through each of the modules and select "off" using the foot switch, apart from the ZNR/MIX one that has to be set to "of" using the rotary controls.
Then save that edit and Robert's your mother's brother...

[url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/B21u.pdf"]B2.1u manual PDF[/url]

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='kdphysio' post='401803' date='Feb 6 2009, 09:58 AM']I've just picked up one of these (B2.1u) from eBay, so this thread is very handy, coz i hate reading manuals (like most blokes!).

Ta muchly,

Karl[/quote]

This is one of those times when reading the manual first is a really good idea ..

• Like 1

[quote name='OldGit' post='401770' date='Feb 6 2009, 09:20 AM']To make a blank patch:
Have a look at P14 .. section 2 says "To switch an effect on and off"
So, using the Effect [b]Module[/b] selector go through each of the modules and select "off" using the foot switch, apart from the ZNR/MIX one that has to be set to "of" using the rotary controls.
Then save that edit and Robert's your mother's brother...[/quote]
oh thanks, I thought you meant you had a way to do the whole caboodle in one go. I was aware of the footswitch click thing (reported) above.

I do wish that the patch resource allowed you to download them as TXT, or as a zip of all then I wouldnt have to print each one. My PC and bass arent near to each other.

[quote name='Geek99' post='402669' date='Feb 7 2009, 10:40 AM']oh thanks, I thought you meant you had a way to do the whole caboodle in one go. I was aware of the footswitch click thing (reported) above.

I do wish that the patch resource allowed you to download them as TXT, or as a zip of all then I wouldnt have to print each one. My PC and bass arent near to each other.[/quote]

it doesn't even cut and paste very well into notepad either...

anyway, here's my original post to basstalk

[quote]dialed this up on my Zoom B2.1U for a nice phat sound:

[code]COMP/LIM LN 5, 10, 88 Limiter
WAH/EFX oF effect off
DRIVE/Synth tU 1, 5, 34 Tube model
ZNR/MIX nr E9, 88, 80 noise reduction
LO EQ oF low pass off
HI EQ HP SH, 80,-12 high pass shelf 800 Hz -12dB
MOD/SFX SC 30, 29, 26 Stereo chorus 30% mod. 29 rate, 26% blend
DELAY oF
REVERB rN 12, 4, 76 reverb room model
PEDAL Ct uL, bP, 80 control pedal to volume[/code]

so far sounds nice. YMMV[/quote]

and the thread it's in so you can find the original text versions of the others

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297009"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297009[/url]